Motoman's Break In Method - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Motoman's Break In Method

Anyone here use this method?

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Basically says to use a harder breakin. Hard acceleration and deceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Top Contributor

He said he used this method on over 300 engines with no ill effects?

What about the millions of engines made every year that do not use this method and live long happy lives?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:20 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/silver
I did that with a 1600 classic I had the engine rebuilt on and it worked well for me. Ran like a mad dog until I sold it a couple of years later.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

This video from Motorcycle magazine, where they take two engines that they replaced top end and broke them in completely diff. One per manual, easy rpm. Then another at/near redline for the entire 1000 miles. All measurements indicated basically no diff??

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
I used to overhaul diesel engines. Had this argument all of the time! I wanted the new rings, mains, and caps to "seat" properly. The freight haulers needed the truck. The conversation usually went, "If you did it right, what better way to test it, than to put it on the road?". I would agree with the boss, then get the driver privately and say, " It's your decision - you can make good time by running this fresh engine all-out. Or, you can take it easy the first 500. How much 'Down-Time' can you afford, if I have to go back into that engine?". I knew I did good work-I never had a comeback engine. Chances were good that my overhaul would hold-up, either way. If it didn't, I would still have a 'Come-Back' against me, either way. The boss wouldn't care and I'ld still be in trouble and lose my commission. I then left it up to the driver to decide!
The question is; "How much are you willing to gamble on that brand new engine?". Most manufacturers ask that you go easy on the top-end, and vary the engine speeds (up and down), for the first few miles. I would then replace the oil and filter after the first thousand miles. After that, " Ride it like Ya stole it!"

Last edited by Hathaway; 02-28-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Vulcan s
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: black
Iv had three brand-new cars the dealers did not say anything about breaking new engine all they said just it easy for a few miles let tyres and brakes bed in.

On all three of those cars I drove round the shops did about 10 20 mile ,then off on holiday ,drove at speeds of road 70mph and a bit more ,
I had no trouble at all.

ive got two Kawasaki bikes, dealer said just drive normally ,so on our uk roads speeds are 30 40 50 60 and 70 mph so just doing a commute bike is working thru rev range

cant really see what all the fuss is about, ,but its difficult to stay below 4000 revs on the 400 ninja ,I also have a big triumph now breaking in is 5000 to 6000 revs which give around 70 mph so its easy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:14 AM

I'm glad you haven't had any problems with your vehicles, during break-in. Manufacturers have improved the engines over the years. The type of engine also makes a difference. Some use needle bearings in their crankshafts, some use brass, some use pocket bearings, etc. Power bands vary widely. A motorcycle capable of a 10k redline is different than a diesel with a 4k redline. All that said, the bottom line is, nobody makes or rebuilds an engine that they intend to fail, if not broken in. Everyone (hopefully) has confidence in their final product. A salesman is not as versed in engineering, as the factory engineering team. So, what do we do? Ignore the R & D Teams for the manufacturer? Fail to read the factory Owners Manual for that particular machine? Maybe it will say, "No Break-In required". Great-have at it. But to say, "Since I had no problems, everyone can ignore the break in procedures" isn't logical. That's me - my investment is valuable to me. I see no need to risk, even a 1% chance on ignoring the advice of the very people who designed and manufactured the machine.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM

Have a load of mates with bikes none run in, or break in as you call it, bikes as hand book says

MY ninja 400 breaking in as handbooks is at all good in our traffic

We possibly have a lot more traffic than you do lour country is tiny compared to yours ,you have to go over break in rules just to keep with traffic
ITS ok if you want to run as book says, good luck to you have fun ,nothing wrong with it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Oh yeah, may be a little different where you are. Definitely better to work through the gear range, than getting on the interstate and blasting away for hours. People can get a little impatient with you, if you aren't at least going the speed limit (or over)!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathaway View Post
Oh yeah, may be a little different where you are. Definitely better to work through the gear range, than getting on the interstate and blasting away for hours. People can get a little impatient with you, if you aren't at least going the speed limit (or over)!
Yes they can and do ,if we took bike on our motorways we would not be keeping with traffic,
we would be in lefthand lane and in the middle of 40ton trucks travelling at 60 plus mph ,they are limited to 60mph but a few do more than that

you have to be going 70 to 80 mph to get out the road of them, other end being sandwich filling,.

Nice to chat to you Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode