Top Loading Bags On Vaquero - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JD Hog
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
DwnDak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
Top Loading Bags On Vaquero

Is there any options, or has anyone tried mounting top loading hard bags on their Vaquero.. These side load bags can't be super fantastic when you open the door, and stuff comes falling out...
DwnDak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Peg
Top Contributor
 
Peg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Coast, North Island, New Zealand
Posts: 624
Garage
Heh heh... The side-opening bags on the Vaq were Kaw's answer to the criticism they copped after they came out with the Voyager and Nomad bags in 2009. Everyone mostly hated them, and most were pleased to see the earlier side-opening bags come back on the Vaq.

I've never had much problem with either style, but have mostly used removable luggage bags inside anyway, if there was stuff I needed to make sure didn't fall out.

I brought the luggage set over to my Voyager from my Nomad, I think they were Bestem brand or something like that. But when those wore out I've replaced them with Kaw's ones - and I find those shaped much better for the Voyager. I can pack much more into the wasted lid space now than I could with the bags I had with the Nomad.

Your stuff won't fall out as long as you don't overfill them - and make sure they're latched properly as well.

Here's a post from Buckey1313 unboxing a set of Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags for his Nomad... From that video I found this one of the finished bike...

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
Peg is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
DwnDak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Heh heh... The side-opening bags on the Vaq were Kaw's answer to the criticism they copped after they came out with the Voyager and Nomad bags in 2009. Everyone mostly hated them, and most were pleased to see the earlier side-opening bags come back on the Vaq.

I've never had much problem with either style, but have mostly used removable luggage bags inside anyway, if there was stuff I needed to make sure didn't fall out.

I brought the luggage set over to my Voyager from my Nomad, I think they were Bestem brand or something like that. But when those wore out I've replaced them with Kaw's ones - and I find those shaped much better for the Voyager. I can pack much more into the wasted lid space now than I could with the bags I had with the Nomad.

Your stuff won't fall out as long as you don't overfill them - and make sure they're latched properly as well.
Thats intresting. I had seen the Kaw luggage inserts and figured if I was gonna stuff it full of stuff that would be a handy and portable option I suppose. I guess my only worry was the latch failure, where as that wouldn't be a worry on a top loader. Sometimes I shouldn't bother overthinking stuff and just let it ride.. LOL
DwnDak is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Top Contributor
 
SteveJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manchester, NY
Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,231
Garage
I've got a '17 Vaquero that I've put about 7K miles on. I was concerned about the side opening bags but I haven't had any trouble with them. I don't know when they were added, but the '17 has elastic straps that form an X across the opening that will hold large items in place (like a jacket, rain suit or half helmet), but honestly I've never had anything fall out when I open them up anyway. They must have had some problems with latch failure because on mine you can't take the key out if the latch is unlocked. That way you have to lock it when you close it. That took some getting used to; especially before I realized I could take the key out of the ignition once it's running.
SteveJB is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I've got a '17 Vaquero that I've put about 7K miles on. I was concerned about the side opening bags but I haven't had any trouble with them. I don't know when they were added, but the '17 has elastic straps that form an X across the opening that will hold large items in place (like a jacket, rain suit or half helmet), but honestly I've never had anything fall out when I open them up anyway. They must have had some problems with latch failure because on mine you can't take the key out if the latch is unlocked. That way you have to lock it when you close it. That took some getting used to; especially before I realized I could take the key out of the ignition once it's running.
My 2016 Vaquero also has the X straps. IIRC, the interlock between removing the key and locking the saddlebag was a federal regulation, but I could be incorrect. I doubt they ever had a problem with those latches opening - even when my bike slid and then flipped over onto its other side, neither bag opened, and there was damage on both saddlebag lid handles.

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
DraKhen99 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
JD Hog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Placerville California
Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic Carbon Gray/Metallic Spark Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 271
Garage
Here is a link on how to modify your side opening saddlebags so you can remove the key when opened and also leave them unlocked for use without the key. I did this on my 2005 Nomad.

Saddlebag Lock Tip


Here is another tip for the gas tank lock that will allow you to remove the key after you open the gas tank door and you don't need the key to close it. This will work on the Nomads, Voyagers and Vaqs. I did this on my 2005 Nomad and my 2015 Voyager.

Gas Cap Lock Tip
Peg likes this.

Jim Diebolt
2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
"The Black Kaw"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JD Hog is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 AM
Top Contributor
 
SteveJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manchester, NY
Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,231
Garage
[QUOTE=DraKhen99;3013766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I doubt they ever had a problem with those latches opening - even when my bike slid and then flipped over onto its other side, neither bag opened, and there was damage on both saddlebag lid handles.

-John
I have a friend that had a Nomad with these bags w/o the key issue. His wife kept closing the door incorrectly and dumping her gear on the road. But that wasn't Kawi's fault!
SteveJB is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 437
[quote=SteveJB;3013866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraKhen99 View Post
I have a friend that had a Nomad with these bags w/o the key issue. His wife kept closing the door incorrectly and dumping her gear on the road. But that wasn't Kawi's fault!
I'm curious how she closed the bag wrong? AFAIK, it's either closed (latched), or open?

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
DraKhen99 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Top Contributor
 
SteveJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manchester, NY
Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,231
Garage
[quote=DraKhen99;3013894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post

I'm curious how she closed the bag wrong? AFAIK, it's either closed (latched), or open?

-John
Apparently, she just wasn't getting the latch caught properly. I don't know for sure by the time I heard the story he had sold the Nomad and picked up an HD. When he saw my bags, he told me about it. Maybe the mechanism was different back then (I think he said it was on '02)
SteveJB is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
DwnDak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Here is a link on how to modify your side opening saddlebags so you can remove the key when opened and also leave them unlocked for use without the key. I did this on my 2005 Nomad.

Saddlebag Lock Tip


Here is another tip for the gas tank lock that will allow you to remove the key after you open the gas tank door and you don't need the key to close it. This will work on the Nomads, Voyagers and Vaqs. I did this on my 2005 Nomad and my 2015 Voyager.

Gas Cap Lock Tip
Thats way better! The only thing I like about Harley and some of the higher dollar bikes is the keyless fob. Indian and Honda have similiar to cars where as long as the key is in your pocket you can lock/unlock everything by touching.. Of course these bikes are $15+k more than a Vaquero. but I wouldn't spend that for a few minor cool toys.. LOL
DwnDak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going from 2005 VN800B to 2016 Vaquero? DraKhen99 Vulcan 1700 14 08-16-2016 01:27 PM
Saddlebag Top Protection Vulcanskier Vulcan 1700 14 05-27-2013 02:07 PM
Top Ten Reasons Why Bikers Dont Wave Back classicvulcan General Vulcan Talk 39 05-24-2013 02:43 AM
Caution ref saddle bag company = Viking Bags Hutson Vulcan 900 8 09-14-2012 08:24 AM
Solo saddle bags or side bags ?? pictures please!! evodog Vulcan 900 15 07-09-2012 07:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome