Test Drove 2012 Voyager 1700 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Test Drove 2012 Voyager 1700

I test drove this bike yesterday. FIrst time riding something that heavy or many cc.

I have a V star 950, 2013

First impression was. It did not feel that heavy. Cornering seemed fine. A little diff than i'm used to, just would have to get used to it.

The things that make me a bit hesitant in knowing whether i want one of these bikes (not the 2012, maybe 2018 or a few year old)

The power had more for sure than i'm used to. But i guess i thought it was going to feel really torque. It did not.

When i came on the throttle, i don't know how to describe but the noise and feeling was not smooth, almost like the belt was skipping??? Don't know if that sound is normal
I found the throttle very jerky.
I found the gears very clunky and loud

The seating was different as well. I felt i was almost sliding down towards the tank. It was difficult to tell how this would be over a longer ride, whether it would be more or less comfortable than my V star

Suspension?? Not sure it felt any smoother than my vstar. But who knows how the rear was adj. It is a 2012 as well, maybe front springs are worn as well?

It is difficult just ridding a bike for like 15min to see if you like it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:17 PM

You can have my 12 Nomad for 5200$. I love it more now than new as it gets better the more you ride. Wife wanted me off it riding daily hiway, got me a ragtop providing I sell this. RICHMOND Virginia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Shawn,

I can relate to every one of your observations, except the clunky tranny...my 2009 1700 had a pretty smooth tranny (to the best of my recollection).

1) Stock Seat Sucks...First thing I did was get a Mustang.

2) Stock Throttle Actuation Sucks...Second thing I did was get a reprofiled/recammed throttle tube from RACNRAY (search this site!) It smooths out the throttle, improves low speed control, and brings on the power band sooner with less wrist action...Major Improvement!

3) Drive Belt is Potentially Noisy if not adjusted to proper tension and alignment (simple fix).

4) Stock ECU Sucks...The stock A/F ratio is way too lean and it retards the timing as soon as the engine is warm...then you have a significant drop in power.
If I still had the bike the next thing on my list would have been the IVAN's ECU reflash. It addresses the timing issues and a multitude of other adjustments to make the bike perform the way it should have from the factory! These bikes are also known for generating prodigious amounts of heat and enriching the A/F ratio with the ECU reflash should help in this regard.

5) Some of the roughness you experienced might be related to the Ignition Wiring Harness Recall...(search this site). The wiring harness under the ignition switch/tank can get worn and cause shorting or intermittent wiring issues.

Oh, and if it has been sitting for any period of time, check each and every coolant connection and clamp...you will need to remove the tank to do so, but believe me, it will save you a lot of grief...

Other than those few issues, it was actually a pretty good bike...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2017 vulcan 900 custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: black
yamaha makes a darn good bike. comparing anyone else's to theirs makes it tough.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:44 PM

My only issue is clunky trans, but with some finesse, itís fine & tough. K&n air filter fixed all performance issues for me, got 45 mpg today. PLENTY of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:02 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
After 10 yrs on a VN900 Custom I bought a Vaquero1700 a year ago. The Vaquero doesn't turn as tight as the 900. This summer I was working with both bikes as my son took the MC safety course. The tightest U turn I could manage, steering locked, was about 19.5 ft on the 1700, 16 ft on the 900. The floorboards hit quicker at speed as you suspected. I'd say I scrape the boards about twice as often on the 1700 as I did on the 900. There are couple of turns around here that I never scraped on the 900, but always scrape on the 1700. It doesn't bother me though and I'm certainly not driving slower than I used to.

Last edited by SteveJB; 10-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
After 10 yrs on a VN900 Custom I bought a Vaquero1700 a year ago. The Vaquero doesn't turn as tight as the 900. This summer I was working with both bikes as my son took the MC safety course. The tightest U turn I could manage, steering locked, was about 19.5 ft on the 1700, 16 ft on the 900. The floorboards hit quicker at speed as you suspected. I'd say I scrape the boards about twice as often on the 1700 as I did on the 900. There are couple of turns around here that I never scraped on the 900, but always scrape on the 1700. It doesn't bother me though and I'm certainly not driving slower than I used to.
Interesting.... From what i've read the V star 950 scrapes way more easily than the VN900. As well i think the turn radius is greater than 19' but i cannot confirm this anywhere
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Graham View Post
I test drove this bike yesterday. FIrst time riding something that heavy or many cc.

I have a V star 950, 2013

First impression was. It did not feel that heavy. Cornering seemed fine. A little diff than i'm used to, just would have to get used to it.

The things that make me a bit hesitant in knowing whether i want one of these bikes (not the 2012, maybe 2018 or a few year old)

The power had more for sure than i'm used to. But i guess i thought it was going to feel really torque. It did not.

When i came on the throttle, i don't know how to describe but the noise and feeling was not smooth, almost like the belt was skipping??? Don't know if that sound is normal
I found the throttle very jerky.
I found the gears very clunky and loud

The seating was different as well. I felt i was almost sliding down towards the tank. It was difficult to tell how this would be over a longer ride, whether it would be more or less comfortable than my V star

Suspension?? Not sure it felt any smoother than my vstar. But who knows how the rear was adj. It is a 2012 as well, maybe front springs are worn as well?

It is difficult just ridding a bike for like 15min to see if you like it or not.
Shawn - I've been interested in Voyagers and have test ridden two this year - a 2014 ABS and a 2012 non-ABS. My perspective differs from your in that I currently ride a sport touring-ish bike (Suzuki Bandits 1250s). I found them both surprisingly light feeling, very smooth riding, loved the super light clutch pull, but yeah - they lacked the oomphy wide torque band I was hoping for. But based on what I've read about the Ivan's ECU re-flash, I don't think either of these had that done. Unlike you, I didn't find the shifting clunky and loud. In fact, both shifted quite smoothly and quietly.

I really preferred the one with the KACT ABS, and it probably saved my bacon when some jerk pulled out right in front of me on the service road just moments into my test ride. Very smooth, controlled braking in a panic or near-panic situation. But if you're considering a late model one, it'll have ABS since that became standard in 2015 I believe.

Last edited by Toku57; 10-18-2018 at 01:54 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I suspect that maybe the one i test Drove was in need of some fine tuning.

If i end up getting a Voyager, i plan to get Ivan's flash and slip on and air intake. Not sure if i would do all at once or flash first then add others.

So a Sport Touring would have quite a bit of oomphy pick up and go? All the reviews from people indicate it has enough power, good torque to pass and if a Ivan Flash is done quite a bit better.

I'm leaning more and more towards it. I'm thinking i might be able to get a really good deal on a 2018 in February. I know a dealer near me that has 4 still in stock and it is mid Oct. Not sure they will sell those.
My last concern is the seat. Felt like i was falling forward. Again only 15 min test drive, maybe it is not bad or i would have to look at some sort of custom seat.

Regarding Custom seats, they are assumed to be better and more comfortable, but unless someone is ergonomically making to you, not sure it would be? I currently have Mustang seats on my V Star and after 1 hour I'm uncomfortable. Maybe it would be that way on any bike though??
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Graham View Post
If i end up getting a Voyager, i plan to get Ivan's flash and slip on and air intake. Not sure if i would do all at once or flash first then add others.
You should plan on what you are going to get before doing Ivan's flash. the flash version/model he will put on depends on what you have on bike. Plan on doing the pipes and air intake, then send off the ECU for flashing. You will be satisfied with the flash!

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode