Cobra FI2000r vs. Ivan's reflash - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
Cobra FI2000r vs. Ivan's reflash

Hi all. I'm a lurker who's posted a few times and plans to get a Voyager within the next few months. On the other forum, a poster was raving about how the Cobra FI2000 really improved his Vaquero's performance. Due to what appears to be overwhelming support there for Ivan's re-flash vs. fuel tuners like the FI2000, I expected a huge response from the Ivanistas saying Ivan's was the way to go. But only one Ivan fan responded.

Which led me to wonder if whether there are circumstances where a tuner like the FI2000r is preferable to Ivan's re-flash. For example, I'd like to find a used Voyager that's been Ivanized, but since I've only seen one listing where that's mentioned it's safe to say I'll likely wind up getting one with the stock ECU. In that case, since I'm not sure what if any other mods like pipes or air intake I'd want, the FI2000r seems advantageous since it can be tweaked to whatever I ended up going with. But since Ivan's flash seems to be tailored specifically towards a particular setup regarding exhaust and air intake, I'd have to have that figured out prior to getting his flash, and then if I ever changed that setup, I'd have to have him re-flash it. Plus the FI2000r is about 1/2 the price of Ivan's flash, and I like the fact that it's mapless.

Has anyone here had experience with both products and could provide their input?
Toku57 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Peg
Top Contributor
 
Peg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Coast, North Island, New Zealand
Posts: 624
Garage
Most of us who used fuel tuners have either on-sold them (if a buyer could be found), or as in my case - have them hanging on a nail in the shed.

And most of us who used fuel tuners would say there are no circumstances where a one would be preferred over Ivan's flash.

You won't need any different flash, or a tuner, for just aftermarket pipes. I've used my bike, flashed, with both an open intake, and with a much more restrictive K&N replacement filter in the OEM intake. I never had any issue, and prefer now to keep it in the more OEM setup. The flash provides so much more performance, I don't miss that little bit extra from having an open intake - and I don't miss the extra intake noise at all. However I have it set up, it's still far better than the tuner ever was.

I've kept in touch with Ivan. He's never suggested I should have him alter the flash at all. If you buy your Voyager, call him. He's very approachable, and will help you find the best solution for your bike - however it is when you buy it, and whatever you plan to do to it along the way.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
Peg is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Most of us who used fuel tuners have either on-sold them (if a buyer could be found), or as in my case - have them hanging on a nail in the shed.

And most of us who used fuel tuners would say there are no circumstances where a one would be preferred over Ivan's flash.

You won't need any different flash, or a tuner, for just aftermarket pipes. I've used my bike, flashed, with both an open intake, and with a much more restrictive K&N replacement filter in the OEM intake. I never had any issue, and prefer now to keep it in the more OEM setup. The flash provides so much more performance, I don't miss that little bit extra from having an open intake - and I don't miss the extra intake noise at all. However I have it set up, it's still far better than the tuner ever was.

I've kept in touch with Ivan. He's never suggested I should have him alter the flash at all. If you buy your Voyager, call him. He's very approachable, and will help you find the best solution for your bike - however it is when you buy it, and whatever you plan to do to it along the way.
Thanks Peg - really good info. And thanks for clarifying that Ivan's flash wouldn't need altering just from changing things up a bit.
Toku57 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Londonderry and Hampton Beach, NH
Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vaquero 1700 ABS
Color: Burnt Orange
Gender: Male
Posts: 25
Garage
As I posted last night, my 2014 Vaquero (2138 miles) which I've owned for a month has a stock air intake and Vance and Hines slip on's. It took a while and with help from this forum on how to clutch and throttle it without feeling like I was going over the handlebars each time I rolled off the throttle and shifted. I sent my ECU to Ivan on Monday had back and installed on Wednesday. Took for a quick ride and amazing difference in shifting, throttling, and no back firing or popping was worth it, seemed smooth.

I'm going for a 200 mile ride into New Hampshire's lake region tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll feel the difference all around, the bike runs hot in traffic so it will be nice to hear fan turn on earlier and off later. As Peg said call Ivan, when I bought my bike the sales guy suggested to have Ivan flash it and don't use any other fuel tuners or mess with it. So far so good, honestly the throttle feels like a cable now, just like my 98 Shadow!!

Good luck in your decision.
djoaquin99 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoaquin99 View Post
As I posted last night, my 2014 Vaquero (2138 miles) which I've owned for a month has a stock air intake and Vance and Hines slip on's. It took a while and with help from this forum on how to clutch and throttle it without feeling like I was going over the handlebars each time I rolled off the throttle and shifted. I sent my ECU to Ivan on Monday had back and installed on Wednesday. Took for a quick ride and amazing difference in shifting, throttling, and no back firing or popping was worth it, seemed smooth.

I'm going for a 200 mile ride into New Hampshire's lake region tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll feel the difference all around, the bike runs hot in traffic so it will be nice to hear fan turn on earlier and off later. As Peg said call Ivan, when I bought my bike the sales guy suggested to have Ivan flash it and don't use any other fuel tuners or mess with it. So far so good, honestly the throttle feels like a cable now, just like my 98 Shadow!!

Good luck in your decision.
Thanks djoaquin99. I hope I luck out and find an Ivanized bike in my area and price range, but dont' mind getting it done myself.

Which leads me to another question. Does Ivan's flash reduce the engine temp enough to not need the KAMS? The local Indian dealer has a low mileage '11 Voyager with ABS with a few nice upgrades for a pretty decent price. And I like the Diablo Red/Black paint scheme. But of course the pre-'12 models lack the KAMS, which I think I'd really want in Central Texas (we've had our third hottest summer on record - nearly 50 100+ days). I know the KAMS can be retrofitted on the older models, but I'd prefer not to have spend the money on one.

Could I manage without KAMS in Central Texas if I had a bike that was Ivanized?
Toku57 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Peg
Top Contributor
 
Peg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Coast, North Island, New Zealand
Posts: 624
Garage
Depends on your tolerance for heat... I couldn't stand even our mild NZ summers (80F) with that heat blasting back at me, but I know a VROCer from Arizona (Sherm Acord) who would find that a little bit chilly.

Ivanizing helps, but it's still hot. KAMS helps more I'd say, but I retrofitted that before Ivan's flash was available. So I've never tried it Ivanized without KAMS.

See if the Indian dealer will help with the $400 outlay for the kit?

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
Peg is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Depends on your tolerance for heat... I couldn't stand even our mild NZ summers (80F) with that heat blasting back at me, but I know a VROCer from Arizona (Sherm Acord) who would find that a little bit chilly.

Ivanizing helps, but it's still hot. KAMS helps more I'd say, but I retrofitted that before Ivan's flash was available. So I've never tried it Ivanized without KAMS.

See if the Indian dealer will help with the $400 outlay for the kit?
Thanks - good to know KAMS would be worth the $400 if I need to go that route.
Toku57 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Londonderry and Hampton Beach, NH
Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vaquero 1700 ABS
Color: Burnt Orange
Gender: Male
Posts: 25
Garage
Toku57, As far as the KAMS, that I'm not sure of but I can tell you this, on my ride today it was 82 degrees in lakes region of NH. My bike ran noticeably cooler, the temp gauge never went over half, even in stop and go traffic through Meredith, in the past the gauge would hanging past 3/4. Also, the bike just ran better, smoother, and not once did it back fire when rolling off the throttle.

So my suggestion is to ask the dealer if they can pull the ECU out and see if it has Ivan's sticker on it and it will be engraved with some numbers, on mine he used an electric pencil.

Also, remember most big V-twins run hot but mine ran much cooler today and I was happy....very happy.

Good luck.
djoaquin99 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoaquin99 View Post
Toku57, As far as the KAMS, that I'm not sure of but I can tell you this, on my ride today it was 82 degrees in lakes region of NH. My bike ran noticeably cooler, the temp gauge never went over half, even in stop and go traffic through Meredith, in the past the gauge would hanging past 3/4. Also, the bike just ran better, smoother, and not once did it back fire when rolling off the throttle.

So my suggestion is to ask the dealer if they can pull the ECU out and see if it has Ivan's sticker on it and it will be engraved with some numbers, on mine he used an electric pencil.

Also, remember most big V-twins run hot but mine ran much cooler today and I was happy....very happy.

Good luck.
Thanks. Seeing whether the dealer is willing to take a few minutes to check for Ivan's sticker is also one way to gauge whether they're someone you'd want to do business with.
djoaquin99 likes this.
Toku57 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:11 AM
Senior Member
 
stessel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Deridder, Louisiana
Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
Garage
Hey,
IVAN's Flash hands down,
But just a quick note on the heat.
While IVANS does make the bike run cooler and I have a 2016 Voyager that came with the KAMS system I can tell you without a doubt that living in southern Louisiana it gets very hot and muggy here. When I first bought my Voyager it was hot between the legs ridding in summer, month after I bought the bike new got the Ivan flash (very happy with) it was better but still hot like any other big bike between the legs. Temp gauge did go down from 1 line from red to 2 lines on gauge from red.

The biggest thing I found that really made a difference between the legs is this https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAIN-LEATH...8AAOSwrORbdMRF it doesn't look like much but the heat deflection from your inner thigh is night and day. I highly recommend this product. picture shows brown but you can get in black
djoaquin99 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stessel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ivan's Reflash VulcanDan61 Vulcan 900 3 04-23-2017 06:21 AM
Reflash? Drifter Vulcan 650 S 48 09-27-2016 07:29 PM
Ivan's Reflash - to BAK or not to BAK first? VulcanDan61 Vulcan 1700 17 05-19-2016 03:43 PM
Cobra FI2000r vs. FI2000r Auto Tune dwn0414 Vulcan 900 9 06-25-2012 08:37 PM
2009 ECU reflash mitchkeller87 Vulcan 900 4 03-06-2010 01:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome