Upgrade to Voyager from Nomad - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Silver/Red
Garage
Upgrade to Voyager from Nomad

Been a minute since I've lurked here. Last Thursday had to lay my 2012 Nomad down to avoid T-boning a truck that pulled out from a side street. Totaled. Looking at maybe a 2015-2018 Voyager. Here's the thing: I farkled up the Nomad with Chucksters throttle body, Power Commander V, 4" risers, Corbin seat, Vance & Hines slip-ons. I'm 6'4" so the Corbin is gonna go on any bike I buy to sit me lower and deeper, never owned a bike with a fairing, will 4" risers work turn to turn without hitting anything? Will mini-apes work? I had to reroute the cabling to get my 4"-ers to work, no biggie but even with them on I still rotated the bars up as high as they would go, can I do that with a Voyager? Are the newer models still needing the Power Commander? Flashing the Eprom better? Air still coming from the left side air filter to the right side throttle body?

Thanks in advance fellas and fellettes.

Edit: Ivan's is the way to go. Never mind on that one.

Last edited by dougfoot; 09-05-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Your Nomad ergonomics will be similar to the Voyager, so you should be able to hit the same spot without too much effort. You'll find that Chuckster's risers will put the OEM bars at about their height limit before they interfere with the fairing. Chuckster's 1 3/4" lift on top of the standard riser is going to be pretty much the same overall height as your 4" risers were. You will only be able to rotate the bars until they hit the fairing at full lock, but you can restrict that distance by putting a piece of hose or similar over the stopper post.

If you need anything higher, you'll have to get recommendations for brands of Santee Apes that will fit, from riders who have gone down that route.

And yeah... Forget the PCV

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Peg. After some diggin' around here and elsewhere that sounds about right. Might go the Vaquero route with the mini apes. Only reason I was looking at the Voyager was extra luggage space for long trips but if I can't live outta two big ass saddlebags for a week then something's wrong.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 AM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I had a good (Saddlemen) expandable roll bag for my Nomad. It's still in the garage someplace, because I couldn't bear to part with it. And the Voyager was only supposed to be in the house for one trip, back in '15 when we shipped it to the USA & back for a two month ride. Plan was to trade it for a Street Glide when we got home.

But that two month ride changed things... I've fixed the stuff that bothered me, with Ivan's flash, aftermarket suspension, and JW Speaker LED lighting. So it's now become a long-term bike, till we find something that compares. I've found the trunk to be the most useful storage I have. Everything from a box of beer or a bag of supermarket shopping, to car-parts and even car batteries have been jammed in there. It would be nice to be able to remove it with a quick-release of some sort, but I'm using it more often than not, so it would probably stay on there more often than not anyway.

Good luck with whatever bike you choose.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Peg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode