9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/ Grey
Garage
PCV or ECU flash

So, I've read quite a few threads on having the ECU flashed vs installing external fuel management, and for the most part people seem happy with the flash. However, what would happen if something changed? If I have the ECU flashed, then, later on I decide to go with a set of pipes with less back pressure, or opened up the air intake, would I need to have the ECU flashed again?
I have a 17 voyager, and for now, all I want to do is adjust the fuel curve so it feels more consistant and not so gutless at certain RPMs. It wasn't so noticeable during the break in period, but now, when I try to open it up a little, it just feels like it's bogged. I know the ECU flash will take care of it, but later on, I might want to change the pipes to something that sounds a little prettier.
I have used a Power Commander before, and ended up getting the autotune 02 sensor kit. It's just a matter of plugging in a map, and maybe a little bit of tweaking to get it close to where it needs to be, and the autotune will do the rest. But I also know that any big changes require more tweaking or even rebuilding the map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:42 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
Folks on the various Voyager forums/Facebook will advocate Ivan ECU reflash 95% of the time over Power Commander. Folks who had PC's and reflash cannot seem to even give them away after they reflash....let alone sell them.

When you send in your ECU to Ivan, you fill out a form that details your current exhaust/intake set up. The ECU is flashed for what you have. If you make any major change to exhaust/intake, you have to send the ECU back to Ivan. You pay for shipping. I am frankly not sure if you have to pay for a reflash at that point. My suggestion is to call Ivan to clarify.

If Ivan does any updates to the ECU flash on his end, he def will update it for you for free....you pay shipping/

All details here....Ivan's Performance Products

Ivan charges $350 plus shipping.

In my case, I got my bone stock 2016 reflashed with 2000 miles on the bike. After 2000 miles, I experienced all the things Ivan's details in the above link that make the stock ECU such a dog. I had a brand new and way better performing bike when I got my ECU back from Ivan last year. The bike runs cooler as well Ivanizing.

I just turned 10K miles. I also had warranty work done at my dealer after Ivanizing....the radiatior fan broke. No issues with the warranty.

Not sure this answers all your questions, but if you call Ivan direct, he can clarify anything for you.

The Ivan reflash will be the best single upgrade I will ever do to my Voyager. I am glad I did not wait long to do it. Plug and play.....very easy to pull and reinstall the ECU

Good luck!
Alive392 and semidomestic like this.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Last edited by auwing1978; 08-13-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: adding verbage
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
When I had mine flashed about 2 years ago, there were only 2 basic flashes. One flash if you have an air kit and one flash without an air kit. The exhaust didn't make a difference.
With that in mind you really only have that one decision to make... to air kit or not. Looking at the dyno sheets on Ivan's site shows the largest power gains are reached with an air kit. The exhaust does make small power gains but it mainly changes when the power comes on (so to speak). I've changed from stock to drilled exhaust and drilled to V&H several times and the freer flowing exhausts move the power band further up the RPM range.

So, how much power do you want with your drivability?
semidomestic likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Vaquero
Color: Black
Bought a PCV for mine for the summer so I can ride. Works very well with the right map. Will probably get the reflash this winter when bike is sitting anyway. PCV is not free but a used one is reasonable and with the right map it works very well.
semidomestic likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:29 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
If it weren't for Ivan's flash, I'd have long ago sold my Voyager. It ran very well with the fuel controller, but with the flash, it runs perfectly. Absolutely no comparison. My fuel controller gathers dust hanging on a nail in my shop.

Semidomestic... You'll find Ivan is very approachable to answer questions like yours. Due to the time-zone difference I've never actually spoken to him myself, but we've exchanged many PM's over the years before and after I had him flash my ECU. You should seek the answers to your questions straight from the horses mouth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EJK.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	224088  
auwing1978 and semidomestic like this.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
Note....from Ivan's website...........
*** We will be closed August 20th through Sept 3rd ***
We will re-open on September 4th
All ECU's must be received by us and shipped back to you by August 17th

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:17 PM

I bought my 2011 Vaquero a month ago. Couldn't stand the heat on the warm days. Just Tuesday last week I sent the ecu to Ivan and had it flashed. Got it back Friday.
I have also put a k&n filter in it, wrapped the headers with titanium header wrap, and installed freedom racing dual slip ons. Runs cooler, smoother and performs a ton better. Would definitely do it again!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
semidomestic likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Yep,
No question Ivan Flash hands down. Don't waste time and money on the PCV. Like auwing1978 said I'm pretty sure after you pay for the flash and you make any major changes or if Ivan makes an update (you have to check back with his web site from time to time for updates I have had to send mine back once for an update) all you have to pay is the shipping Ivan will engrave on the ECU the current flash installed and will put a big Ivan sticker on the other side. Also if you do decide to go with the Ivan flash after he reopens Sept 3rd you only need to ship the ECU if you don't already know the ECU sets in the cage with the relays lift the ECU (the taller of the two) out of the cage and leave the relays (the shorter of the 2) in place under the seat L/H side just forward of battery.
semidomestic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Voyager
Color: Black/ Grey
Garage
I'll give Ivan a try when he gets back from vacation. It's not like I want to do 0-90 in 1.375 seconds, and I'll never put neighbor haters on it. That would be like running NOX and straight pipes on a motor home. I like quiet pipes, I just want the tone a little deeper and lose the feeling that it's being held back. I had the ECU flashed on my Roadliner and it was a terrible experience. I ended up having to buy a new stock ECU and went with a PC... But, it wasn't Ivan, and most of you guys swear by him, so I'll give him a try.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Metallic Carbon Gray/Metallic Spark Black
Garage
A benefit of the ECU flash is better slow driving drivability. No jerkiness or stumbles after the flash. Cold startups and driving are also improved over stock. Able to use 5th and 6th gear at lower RPMs also. You will not be disappointed once you have it done.
auwing1978 likes this.

Jim Diebolt
2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
"The Black Kaw"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode