Voyager stopping & starting on steep parking garage ramp - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Voyager stopping & starting on steep parking garage ramp

I'm still planning on getting a Voyager later this year, but a big concern I have is my parking garage at work. It's underneath my building, and the exit ramp to the street is pretty steep. Most of the time I can just turn into it and shoot straight up to the street, but occasionally like yesterday, cars are backed up on the ramp requiring me to stop and go a few times before it levels out. Not a really a problem on my 500lb Suzi Bandit 1250, although occasionally this process can take several minutes which can get a little tiring. I've got a 34" inseam, so keeping my left foot firmly planted while holding down the rear brake with my right won't be an issue, but dealing with 900lbs in this situation concerns me.

Do any of you commuters deal with this issue and find it doable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015/Kawasaki/Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Garage
I commute every day, rain or shine, and I work in Seattle which is nothing but hills. It's not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoTKP View Post
I commute every day, rain or shine, and I work in Seattle which is nothing but hills. It's not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Gordo - since I've never been to Seattle, would you say you can do stop and go on hills with about a 20% grade? That's about what my garage exit ramp is.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Toku57 Go for a Voyager. Then go practice riding on your garage ramp during the weekend or when traffic is not a problem. To me it's about practice and getting that confidence you need. You will be fine! Ride safe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
If you can do it on a smaller bike, and you are otherwise comfortable with a 900 lb.. plus big bike, you can master a 20% grade as well. I am south of GordoTKP in Tacoma WA and we have some hills off downtown that are probably in excess of 20%. Never have had a problem from dead stop proceeding uphill on my Voyager.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Nomad View Post
Toku57 Go for a Voyager. Then go practice riding on your garage ramp during the weekend or when traffic is not a problem. To me it's about practice and getting that confidence you need. You will be fine! Ride safe.
Good idea - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auwing1978 View Post
If you can do it on a smaller bike, and you are otherwise comfortable with a 900 lb.. plus big bike, you can master a 20% grade as well. I am south of GordoTKP in Tacoma WA and we have some hills off downtown that are probably in excess of 20%. Never have had a problem from dead stop proceeding uphill on my Voyager.
Thanks - good to know.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Another thing you can do it get riding boots with 1 to 1 1/2 thick soles. Or have a good shoe shop put the thick soles on your favorite boots. If they have ever serviced motor officers they will know what to do. That will help keep your foot planted. I worked with lots of short legged motor officers that did that. Me, I am 6-2 so I have no issue.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode