Herky-Jerky, gearing issues or what? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Herky-Jerky, gearing issues or what?

Hi all, I have seen this discussion many times but now I'm actually more confused.
This is to do with the Voyagers behavior and Ivanizing.
Herky-Jerky: Many are using g this term to describe how the 1700 abruptly accels and decels when travelling at slow speeds in the lower gears. I thought Ivanize was gonna fix it but some say it is worse. Me, I don't know what think.
I bought the bike last year, a 2013 Voyager all stock. I didn't find the "herky-jerky" too bad but what I didnt like was how sluggish it was.
I got it Ivanized this spring. Definitely noticed a difference in the acceleration / power band, it's awesome.
However the so called "herky-jerky" has me wondering if there's something wrong with my Ivan tune.
Our slowest speed limits here (except for school zones) is 50km/hr (about 30 miles per hour). If I stay in 2nd it feels like I'm revving it a bit high, but if I go to 3rd it feels better as far as the revving but then I do experience the touchy throttle, aka the herky-jerky. It goes away if I go faster / higher revs in third. Same issue between 3rd and 4th. Once I get to highway speeds everything seems to be good then.
I've also heard on forums that guys adjust their throttles with less play and there's some sort of way of modding the throttle with a PVC ring. I also heard, dirty air filter or maybe throttle body issue.
This is the first bike I've ever had , where I've been confused about the gearing and revs and I've been riding street since 16 years old.
If I crawl the bike in congested traffic in 1st or 2nd it feels fine, I'm amazed how well I'm controlling a big bike at slow speeds.
Is there an issue with my Ivan tune? Is it normal to take second all the way up to and above 50km or 60km (30 or 35miles)? Same idea with 3rd gear?
Does everyone have this? Should I lessen the throttle play or mod it? This has all got me second guessing and confused.
I would appreciate feedback on this.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:19 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700
Quick question do you have any other mods to the bike, did you disconnect the oxygen sensor and are you using premium gas?
Quote (If I stay in 2nd it feels like I'm revving it a bit high, but if I go to 3rd it feels better as far as the revving but then I do experience the touchy throttle, aka the herky-jerky). It sounds like you just need to get used to it and i would assume that the herky-jerky in this example has you on and off the gas. Did you try going to 4th in that situation? You won't have the passing toque but maybe fix the perception. The one thing i noticed was the ability to ride in higher gears at slower speeds after Ivan did his thing and it took me a few days of riding to appreciate/get used to it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
According to Ivan, with my 2013 I don't have to sorry about the O2 sensor. I'm starting to wonder if I just got to get used to a big v-twin like this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07-16 View Post
Quick question do you have any other mods to the bike, did you disconnect the oxygen sensor and are you using premium gas?
Quote (If I stay in 2nd it feels like I'm revving it a bit high, but if I go to 3rd it feels better as far as the revving but then I do experience the touchy throttle, aka the herky-jerky). It sounds like you just need to get used to it and i would assume that the herky-jerky in this example has you on and off the gas. Did you try going to 4th in that situation? You won't have the passing toque but maybe fix the perception. The one thing i noticed was the ability to ride in higher gears at slower speeds after Ivan did his thing and it took me a few days of riding to appreciate/get used to it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
According to Ivan, with my 2013 I don't have to sorry about the O2 sensor. I'm starting to wonder if I just got to get used to a big v-twin like this one.

Have a stock 1700 no mods,nothing,Imo u just got to get used to it and the quirks of the bike,can get the herky jerky going,so I ride as smooth as possible,try to shift and power up and down all in Rhythm ,if this makes any sense,I love this nad ,My fav so far
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey,
Double check the instructions for the Ivan flash. I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to disconnect the O2 sensor then if I'm not mistaken it has been a while turn your key on and you will get a code then you disconnect the battery for 30 seconds reconnect and you are ready. As far as the jerky in low gear at low speed you do just have to get use to the throttle. It does have a lot of torque in low gear. when I ride in town at cruising 30 mph I'm in 3rd gear 2nd is just to jerky but when I'm taking off going through the gears I stay in second longer as I am accelerating to a faster speed. But that is just me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:44 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Classic LT, 2014 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 900, 1700
Color: White/bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode