K&N Air Filter - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Question K&N Air Filter

I was talking to my dealer about putting a K&N air filter on my stock 2011 Nomad(I do have Racnrays throttle mod installed). Anyway he indicated that I will ruin the engine if I do this without adding a Power Commander which he will gladly sell me. I'm not really interested in a Power Commander right now. I just wanted to replace the filter.
I noticed in one of the threads below that alot of you are simply installing Racnrays throttle mod changing the filter and drilling the end plates in the mufflers. I'm not against doing any of this, I just don't want to ruin my bike by running it too lean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexchaser View Post
I was talking to my dealer about putting a K&N air filter on my stock 2011 Nomad(I do have Racnrays throttle mod installed). Anyway he indicated that I will ruin the engine if I do this without adding a Power Commander which he will gladly sell me. I'm not really interested in a Power Commander right now. I just wanted to replace the filter.
I noticed in one of the threads below that alot of you are simply installing Racnrays throttle mod changing the filter and drilling the end plates in the mufflers. I'm not against doing any of this, I just don't want to ruin my bike by running it too lean.
If you're just talking the OEM K&N, your dealer is trying to up-sell you hoping you do not have access to forums such as this. No fuel manager is required at all with just the OEM K&N and you will definitely not ruin your engine.

In fact, several, including myself have installed Big Air Kits (Chuckster's Stock Air Cover Kit with Round K&N) without a fuel manager. The bike does not seem to be running dangerously lean and I have not seen my mileage change much at all from stock. I have no added decel popping which would also indicate a lean condition (no decel popping at all actually).

Now, if I wanted to optimise performance, I would add a fuel manager, but if you are just installing an air kit you can generally do so safely without this added expense. Now, if you are installing both a BAK and New Exhaust, then a fuel manager would be prudent and advised.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 08-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yes what Vulcan Hammer said is right. The air still has to go through that stupid air tunnel they designed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I suspected that the dealer was trying to do just as you have suggested and was only trying to sell me a Power Commander to fill in for the lack of business due to the tapering down of the riding season.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Top Contributor

Air

I ran my bike 3000 miles with vance and hines slipons and a K and N filter before I put the PCV on the bike. Your dealer is high! My dealer has a veqero and runs slipons without a PCV!

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM

These kinds of stories make me very happy that I have a dealership that does not do that crap. "Run away!" I say.

Scotty J
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
AMA 1050493
VBA 01583
VROC 27581
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

All above is correct. In my dyno testing the addition of a K&N does not and cannot lean out the a/f ratio, period. So it's pretty impossible to ruin the engine of a 1700 due to "theoretical" leaning out of the a/f ratio.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The first thing I do to my engines is a K&N filter and get rid of the tubes as much as possible. Then it might be the exaust restrictions. The name of the game is FLOW ! Even a stock engine likes to BREATH.
Everything and anything else comes after this change.
Engine Breath should not be wasted on the young or faint of heart !

CRUISER
DON RUSSELL
Aspire Machining
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Ray what did your oil analysis tell you since you have a K&N filter on your bike? After reading about Bob the Amsoil guy findings with his K&N filter just curious if yours showed the same high silica.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM

So... If i debaffle and changer air filter from stock i wont need fuel mgmt. ? Or am i not understanding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode