Oil and Dot 4 Change - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Oil and Dot 4 Change

I changed my oil and switched to AMSOIL from Mobil 1 synth on my previous change. I have an 09 that was purchased a little over a year ago with 0 miles.

This is my 5th oil change. I went about 2500 miles since the last change and I'm still getting some good size flakes.

I still had the stock 2009 DOT4 fluid in the brakes and clutch. That was changed also. It was worse than I thought it would be. These fluids should be changed yearly!! This is technically my first year of ownership but the fluid has probably been in those lines for close to 4 years.

Pics tomorrow.

2011 Black Vaquero
V&H Slips, Thunder Stock Air, Cobra Fi2000r

Last edited by 1700Classic; 08-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Contributor

Flakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
I changed my oil and switched to AMSOIL from Mobil 1 synth on my previous change. I have an 09 that was purchased a little over a year ago with 0 miles.

This is my 5th oil change. I went about 2500 miles since the last change and I'm still getting some good size flakes.

I still had the stock 2009 DOT4 fluid in the brakes and clutch. That was changed also. It was worse than I thought it would be. These fluids should be changed yearly!! This is technically my first year of ownership but the fluid has probably been in those lines for close to 4 years.

Pics tomorrow.
What are you getting flakes from?

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new kawi rider View Post
What are you getting flakes from?
I think he's referring to break in perhaps?

If that's the case, you may consider switching to a conventional oil! Whether you are on the granny it, ride it like you stole it, or ride it like you'd normally ride it camp of break-in procedures, it's almost universal (from what I've heard) that synthetic oil slows down the break down procedure. Most things I've read recommend not switching to synthetic until about 3,000 or so miles.

Just food for thought.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

This is my 5th oil change. Switched to synthetic somewhere around 4500 miles. I change the oil by raising the bike level on the kickstand and sliding an oil pan underneath. I then transfer the drained oil to another container that is eventually recycled. It was during this transfer out in the sun when the pan was mostly empty that I caught the flakes. If you simply look at the used oil in the garage it looks like...used oil. I've noticed this on other bikes as well that were past their break in period. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Easier from a computer!

2011 Black Vaquero
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
This is my 5th oil change. Switched to synthetic somewhere around 4500 miles. I change the oil by raising the bike level on the kickstand and sliding an oil pan underneath. I then transfer the drained oil to another container that is eventually recycled. It was during this transfer out in the sun when the pan was mostly empty that I caught the flakes. If you simply look at the used oil in the garage it looks like...used oil. I've noticed this on other bikes as well that were past their break in period. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Easier from a computer!
Oh ok.

Interesting. Wifes bike is running through the break in right now, I wonder how long I'll be catching flakes? I'll be sure to sift the oil with a magnet too, I'm a little curious now.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Thumbs up Updated Pics

The oil I changed was Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic with Napa Gold 1358. It was the first time synthetic oil was used in the bike. Bike now has 7,500 miles on it. I switched to this;

Most people drain straight into a final container and the only time they see the oil is when it's coming out of the bike. Because of the pain of trying to use a big oil container and a jack I use the method described earlier. Inspecting the mostly drained oil pan in the sun you can see this. The big piece is part of the pan and not a chunk of something!

I also changed the brake and clutch fluids. I would advise changing this fairly quick especially if the bike was used or a leftover rotting at the dealer.

Equipment used. I only needed 1-1/2 containers of fluid and that was probably excessive to do the front/rear brakes and clutch. The rear brake has two bleeder valves. The clutch valve is under the plastic "Kawasaki" cover on the left side close to the oil filler.

Front brake cylinder before change. What looks like debris at the bottom is actually pitting. However the clutch side did have debris forming at the bottom that I scraped with a clean screwdriver while flushing out.

Open the valve and wonder why I waited so long! Simply bleed until clear with no air. Make sure the reservoir levels don't drop too low!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
I changed my oil and switched to AMSOIL from Mobil 1 synth on my previous change.
I haven't seen any particles, let alone flakes, in the oil from my bike.

I did get some the first time I changed oil on my 3rd hand crotch rocket but the stuff that came out of there looked like tar. No telling how long it had been in there and how the previous owners had been hammering it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
If you still have the old filter, I would recommend you cut it open and inspect it for metal. I have never seen that much metal flakes in the oil before on a good running engine. Are those flakes steel or brass?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstmcycle View Post
If you still have the old filter, I would recommend you cut it open and inspect it for metal. I have never seen that much metal flakes in the oil before on a good running engine. Are those flakes steel or brass?
The oil is in a container now and the sanitation engineer took the filter this morning. I can't tell you for sure what it is but it's got my attention. Some of it is bubbles. Perhaps it's clutch debris from the famous 1700 tranny. Without an oil analysis I'm not sure. The engine seems to run well.

2011 Black Vaquero
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Pics tomorrow.
Changed my fluids (including coolant) as well this weekend and found the brake and clutch to be just as dirty. If you plan on flushing them more often then IMO a hand held MityVac is worth every penny. Unfortunately though there is no tool to make changing the fork oil on a 1700 simple or easy. I've decided to tackle that one next season.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode