1700 debaffle problem - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

1700 debaffle problem

I wanted to remove the OEM baffles from my 2011 Nomad 1700.

I've watched all the YouTube videos of the OEM muffler debaffle. They were all of 1500s and 1600s but it looked the same.

I bought a 1-3/4" hole saw and sawed through the right muffler 2 exterior plates that attach to the outside of the baffle pipe. Had a bit of trouble getting the second plate sawed thru, since the baffle pipe was bottoming out in my hole saw. So I zip sawed some slots in the baffle pipe and bent the tabs in so my hole saw could move on in some.

Got the 2nd plate cut all the way thru and the baffle pipe fell loose in the muffler. So I go to pull it out, but it don't come out. It feels like there is something still attached way at the other end of it.

I pull and shake and pull and shake for 5 solid mins. It ain't coming out.

I can stick a 10" sawzall blade in beside the baffle pipe and run it all the way around the baffle pipe in a circle. This is nothing stopping me from doing this. But the baffles won't wiggle out. You can tell it's still attached somewhere at the other end.

Anybody else have this problem ? The ones in the videos just came right out.

UPDATE: ! SEE POST 11 FOR FINAL OUTCOME.

Last edited by R_W_B; 09-18-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Garage
I have not performed this procedure on my pipes. However, I read a post somewhere on the internet that it is easier to do what you are doing if you take the slip on off first. Maybe you can get to whatever is holding it easier.
Hope you get it figure out, and if you do, post what you discovered holding it on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

It's lookin like I'm gonna have to buy some slipons before I really wanted to.

I've got a mess in the end of the muffler and it won't come out. It looks like I would have to cut the muffler apart to get at it. Kawa must be gettun paranoid about US EPA regulations being tampered with.

I think just to see what's going on I will pull both mufflers off and cut about 4" off the end of the muffler. Then maybe I can see in there enough to see what is holding it.

I can always tape off the last 1/2" of it and paint it with BBQ paint.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
It's lookin like I'm gonna have to buy some slipons before I really wanted to.

I've got a mess in the end of the muffler and it won't come out. It looks like I would have to cut the muffler apart to get at it. Kawa must be gettun paranoid about US EPA regulations being tampered with.

I think just to see what's going on I will pull both mufflers off and cut about 4" off the end of the muffler. Then maybe I can see in there enough to see what is holding it.

I can always tape off the last 1/2" of it and paint it with BBQ paint.
I don't really know what you got going on, but is there anyway you can grab the piece you are talking about with vise grips or such and twist it until it breaks free? Sounds like you are fixin to have a bigger issue than you already have. Just tryin to help ya out.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I don't know if it's the same as the 900's or not, but on the 900's, the baffle is welded on to the other end. It took me probably 10 minutes on the first one and 6 or 7 minutes on the second one of wiggling back and forth, back and forth, side to side, circles, etc., before the welds finally popped and the baffle slid out.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
I don't really know what you got going on, but is there anyway you can grab the piece you are talking about with vise grips or such and twist it until it breaks free? Sounds like you are fixin to have a bigger issue than you already have. Just tryin to help ya out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I don't know if it's the same as the 900's or not, but on the 900's, the baffle is welded on to the other end. It took me probably 10 minutes on the first one and 6 or 7 minutes on the second one of wiggling back and forth, back and forth, side to side, circles, etc., before the welds finally popped and the baffle slid out.
I've tried to do that with no success. I think today I will get my dremel and cut off the tabs I bend into the baffle pipe so I could get my hole saw in far enough. Then maybe I can grab it better with some channel locks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just buy some Cobra Slip ons anyhow but just out of curiousity would like to see what's holding it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
I've tried to do that with no success. I think today I will get my dremel and cut off the tabs I bend into the baffle pipe so I could get my hole saw in far enough. Then maybe I can grab it better with some channel locks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just buy some Cobra Slip ons anyhow but just out of curiousity would like to see what's holding it.
I was able to sell my stock mufflers by keeping them in original condition. There are people who prefer the stock mufflers and may be interested in them. Something to consider (or not) if modifying something else before buying aftermarket anyway.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
I was able to sell my stock mufflers by keeping them in original condition. There are people who prefer the stock mufflers and may be interested in them. Something to consider (or not) if modifying something else before buying aftermarket anyway.
Yea that is what I should have done is just left them alone. But now I have this cut up mess inside the muffler and it's only attached at the very far end of the baffle. So I'm gonna have to get it out of there cause it's rattlling around. Once I cut a bit more out I might can twist it more with vise grips.

I've already ordered Cobra Tri-Ovals, I wanted some anyhow. My problem now is somehow getting the baffle out with destroying the muffler. I think I can end up making something out of it that someone might could find use for, especially if I remove the CATs too. Anyhow chaulk this up to the EPA and Kawas attempt to comply, sticking it to me. I should have realized why there were no 1700 debaffle videos.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Since it is loose on both ends, pull the muffler from the bike and take it to a welding or machine shop. Have them weld a bar or all thread rod to the inner pipe. Put the muffler in a hydraulic press and pull the inner pipe out. You will need to check the price of labor first. Of the several places around my house that could do this one would cost more than the new slip-on’s and the other would probably do it for 25.00 because they are both bikers themselves.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Take a broom handle and stick it into the pipe as far as it will go and then rotate itaround the edge of the muffler several times and that may break it loose. I struggled with my firswt pipe until I did that. The seocnd pipe I did that I soon as I got finished with the hole saw and it popped right out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode