Forum Member's Vaquero On My Dyno - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Forum Member's Vaquero On My Dyno

We had the oppurtunity to have a forum member's 2011 Vaquero here in my shop for lotsa goodies.

Before anything was done we dynoed his skoot to document his stock power and torque, then fitted a set of Cobra Tri-Ovals with follow up dyno runs. This skoot stock had quite a bit of exhaust popping on decel, and with the pair system hose blocked off and the Cobra's the popping was worse. We removed the right side air box to gain access to the intake area which allowed me to do a intake system vacuum leak check. The fluid we use was immediately sucked in on the left side of the t/b-intake manifold junction, so i knew at that point alot of the exhaust popping was due to intake vacuum leaks. The Cobra's gained power and torque throught the powerband.

DYNO CHART SHOWING STOCK VS COBRA TRI OVALS...

The next step was to perform the 600 mile service, gettin rid of the factory coolant, tightening all the fasteners (377!!) , flushing and bleeding of the hydaulics, general lube, etc.

At the same time we removed the t/bodies and intake manifold for inspection. His manifold was the worst I have seen, it was severly warped. I machined the t/b's and the manifold and reassembled it all with new o-rings and 1211 sealant.

We also at this time installed a chuckster BAK and then the skoot was back on the dyno for follow up runs to document the affect of the BAK...

DYNO CHART SHOWING COBRA EXHAUST TO CHUCKSTER BAK...

The power loss up to 3500 rpm was due to the air/fuel ratio going pretty darn rich, which was gonna have to be rectified with the mapping and ignition timing changes utilizing the PCV. We then installed the PCV along with a set of Avon grips with my mod.

DYNO CHART SHOWING H.P. GAINS FROM CUSTOM MAPPING...

DYNO CHART SHOWING TORQUE GAINS FROM THE MAPPING...

DYNO GRAPH SHOWING STOCK AND FINAL H.P. FIGURES...

SO...stock peak H.P went from 68.76 to 80.83 ponies, with a gain of 9.19 ponies @ 4000 rpm!

DYNO GRAPH SHOWINGSTOCK AND FINAL TORQUE FIGURES...

Peak torque went from 88.84 to 98.59 pounds!!

All in all nice gains. The Tri-Ovals look absolutely gorgeous on his black Vaquero with a really nice sound, quiet when you want them to be, and a some noise when you twist the throttle. With the change to Amsoil this clunky shifting Vaquero now shifts like a hot knife thru butter!!

Hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

Last edited by RACNRAY; 08-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

what about the popping on decel?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

"The next step was to perform the 600 mile service, gettin rid of the factory coolant, tightening all the fasteners (377!!) , flushing and bleeding of the hydaulics, general lube, etc."

Why do I need to replace factory coolant and hydraulic fluid?

At the same time we removed the t/bodies and intake manifold for inspection. His manifold was the worst I have seen, it was severly warped. I machined the t/b's and the manifold and reassembled it all with new o-rings and 1211 sealant.

I am mechanically retarded, how does the intake manifold get warped and what are t-bodies? Are these issues I need to worry about with my bike or is this a fluke thing, and not a general problem?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Ray,

Let's see if I understand what happened with the introduction of the Chuckster BAK...

1) You picked up approx. 5 ponies at 4500 rpm (and a similar increase in torque).

2) There was a slight loss of power below 3500 rpm which is typical when a "tuned" stock air box is removed.

3) What I find odd is that you state that the bike was running richer with the addition of the BAK. More air usually means a leaner mix, but I cannot dispute your A/F ratio measurements. Can we assume that since you added the BAK before the PCV that it may have lessened the decel popping that the Cobras seemed to have added?

I just added the Chuckster BAK to my otherwise stock Classic LT, so I would be satisfied with the addition of a few ponies and a slight richening of the A/F ratio. I am hoping that the more open air box will also mean the Air Temp Sensor will see cooler air, which could also contribute to a richer A/F ratio.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Top Contributor

I have similar mods and could live with those gains. It's funny how all this effort has to be made to make 80hp out of a liquid cooled 103.7" motor.

2011 Black Vaquero
V&H Slips, Thunder Stock Air, Cobra Fi2000r
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
We had the oppurtunity to have a forum member's 2011 Vaquero here in my shop for lotsa goodies.

Before anything was done we dynoed his skoot to document his stock power and torque, then fitted a set of Cobra Tri-Ovals with follow up dyno runs. This skoot stock had quite a bit of exhaust popping on decel, and with the pair system hose blocked off and the Cobra's the popping was worse. We removed the right side air box to gain access to the intake area which allowed me to do a intake system vacuum leak check. The fluid we use was immediately sucked in on the left side of the t/b-intake manifold junction, so i knew at that point alot of the exhaust popping was due to intake vacuum leaks. The Cobra's gained power and torque throught the powerband.

DYNO CHART SHOWING STOCK VS COBRA TRI OVALS...

The next step was to perform the 600 mile service, gettin rid of the factory coolant, tightening all the fasteners (377!!) , flushing and bleeding of the hydaulics, general lube, etc.

We also at this time installed a chuckster BAK and then the skoot was back on the dyno for follow up runs to document the affect of the BAK...

DYNO CHART SHOWING COBRA EXHAUST TO CHUCKSTER BAK...

The power loss up to 3500 rpm was due to the air/fuel ratio going pretty darn rich, which was gonna have to be rectified with the mapping and ignition timing changes utilizing the PCV. We then installed the PCV along with a set of Avon grips with my mod.

DYNO CHART SHOWING H.P. GAINS FROM CUSTOM MAPPING...

DYNO CHART SHOWING TORQUE GAINS FROM THE MAPPING...

DYNO GRAPH SHOWING STOCK AND FINAL H.P. FIGURES...

SO...stock peak H.P went from 68.76 to 80.83 ponies, with a gain of 9.19 ponies @ 4000 rpm!

DYNO GRAPH SHOWINGSTOCK AND FINAL TORQUE FIGURES...

Peak torque went from 88.84 to 98.59 pounds!!

All in all nice gains. The Tri-Ovals look absolutely gorgeous on his black Vaquero with a really nice sound, quiet when you want them to be, and a some noise when you twist the throttle. With the change to Amsoil this clunky shifting Vaquero now shifts like a hot knife thru butter!!

Hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts.

RACNRAY

Hi all,

I went for a quick ride tonight as Ray was typing all of the above...
Well...All I can say is that it is a different bike on many aspects.

The Cobra ovals sound really nice and look beautiful. The sound is deeper than stock at idle, deep and throaty under accelerationn to cruising speed and bark when you "give her hell". Definitely a great improvement compare to stock.
I can't imagime someone would want something louder...but that's me.

Upon twisting the throttle I can really feel these 12 extra ponies progressively all along the power band. I did a few acceleration and the speedo climbs rather quickly. Merging into traffic doesn't have that hesitation...and that sound is intoxicating.
The vibration (shutter) felt at or around 2300-2700 rpm shaking the whole skoot has disappeared...Some of you know what I am talking about.
The bike moves forward with authority without missing a bit or shaking.

The temperatures are also much cooler, even in stop and go traffic and it seems like the bike cools down faster while resuming city speeds between red lights. (35-50mph in gear 4 or 5).

Regarding the BAK from Chuckster, it makes quite a bit more noise and at full throttle it lets you know more air is getting into the cylinders. At cruising speeds, there is no noise more than stock or annoying side effects.

I have no comments regarding Hp and torque numbers as Ray already put it nicely and well documented. But the added power is there trust me.
FYI, the bike has 700 miles now and it will get even nicer as miles climb.
I didn't really respect the user's manual for break in and went past the 2750 rpm limit often but never maintained high rpms.

The poping backfiring was VERY bad before and is COMPLETELY gone and I have a nice rumble when off the throttle.

I am very happy with the mods and the excellent work from Ray and Mark (his mechanic).

I will post pictures of the bike with the tri ovals soon.
For more details about the mods, tweaks, Ray's trade secrets, costs, etc, please direct you question to RACNRAY.

Joel aka AVSBEZZY
VAQUERO 2011
Chuckster BAK with stock look,
Temp sensor relocated
PCV w/ignition tuned by RACNRAY
COBRA TRI OVALS
Almost 81 HP, almost 99 lb·ft
Current bikes :
VAquero 2011 US
Triumph Bonneville America 2002 not stock US
Kawasaki KLR650 2007 Boring

Gone but not forgotten:

1980 BULTACO 350 Blue Trials bike Euro
1986 HONDA 200 TLR Trials bike blue red and gold rims Euro
1980 husqvarna 390 Anodized gold rims Euro
1986 yamaha xt600 tenere white red gold Euro
2007 Kawasaki Z750 Black Euro
2002 Triumph Tiger 955I
2005 Suzuki SV650 Yellow and Black US
2009 DRZ400 SM not stock Black
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Like to see what kind of milage you are getting at the pump now. A severally warped intake at 600 miles? That's disconcerting. Maybe not following the the manufactures break in contributed to that so soon? I for the most part followed it on mine and now have 7300 miles on it with no intake leaks as far as I can tell. Did the big three mods on mine at around 2100 miles and it is running great so far. Glad your enjoying yours now I'm sure it wasn't cheep to do all that to it.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by redking View Post
what about the popping on decel?
WHAT POPPING?? There is none, see the owner's post and his comment on the popping.

RACNRAY

WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Top Contributor

Some day Ray I will get to the shop. Nice numbers.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by redking View Post
"The next step was to perform the 600 mile service, gettin rid of the factory coolant, tightening all the fasteners (377!!) , flushing and bleeding of the hydaulics, general lube, etc."

Why do I need to replace factory coolant and hydraulic fluid?
I use a different coolant mix that helps all skoots run cooler. It is NOT a mix that can be used during the cold winter months up north due to the lower percentage of coolant used, we don't have freeze concerns here in South Florida.

Probably 30 years ago i started flushing and bleeding hydraulic systems while performing a full service. The improvement in braking performance was vey noticeable, so at some time i decided to flush and bleed the hydraulics during a 600 mile service. I was astonished at the degradation of factory fluid on a new skoot, and again the braking performance was improved. On this Vaquero the factory fluid came out BLACK from the rear brake and clutch system. I'll let the owner comment on how his brakes feel now.

RACNRAY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode