Kwak gel seat or Mustang? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Kwak gel seat or Mustang?

I ride a Voyager 2012 and have concluded that I need to get a different seat. The stock I "thought" was fine but I have been doing a lot of short and long trips lately and find that after a while I keep having to shift about to ease the discomfort in my @ss, tail bone and particulary lower inside of my thighs.

Now considering the Mustang and also the Kawasaki gel top. I like both from what I have read but wondering if anyone has experiences with BOTH and can throw in some input before I pull the trigger on one.

Not looking to replace the rear seat, the GF's @ss is padded enough (Shhhh don't tell her I said that )

Thanks.

2012 Voyager ABS
Rear speakers
iPod hookup
Garmin GPS
Kuraykan Cruiser Pegs
Lava wrapped pipes
Grasshopper backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avee8tor View Post
Now considering the Mustang and also the Kawasaki gel top. I like both from what I have read but wondering if anyone has experiences with BOTH and can throw in some input before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks.
My opinion is that adding gel padding to the Kawi seat does not cure it's terrible ergonomics and shape. The stock seat puts your spine at an awkward angle and the way it curves up at the front to cup your "package" and lock you into one position is uncomfortable.

I went with the Mustang and have no regrets. It lets you sit back further, and the flatter bottom allows you to move around a bit. It is firmer than stock, but oddly more comfortable.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Neither!

I wouldn't go with either before you check out meancitycycles.com I LOVE the seat mods they've done for me...very good and not near as pricey as Mustang or Cobra.

Quote:
I ride a Voyager 2012 and have concluded that I need to get a different seat. The stock I "thought" was fine but I have been doing a lot of short and long trips lately and find that after a while I keep having to shift about to ease the discomfort in my @ss, tail bone and particulary lower inside of my thighs.

Not looking to replace the rear seat, the GF's @ss is padded enough (Shhhh don't tell her I said that )

Thanks.

--
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
Kuryakyn Dually highway pegs
towing package
Kuryakyn CUP HOLDER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Memory foam driver seat mod - mean city cycles (maiden, NC)
Heated seat mod - mean city cycles (maiden, NC)
Heated grips (Oxford)
iPhone connector
Polk audio marine grade speakers
Cobra Tri-oval exhaust
RAM mount on handle bars for phone

Last edited by voyaging; 08-16-2012 at 07:54 AM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
My opinion is that adding gel padding to the Kawi seat does not cure it's terrible ergonomics and shape. The stock seat puts your spine at an awkward angle and the way it curves up at the front to cup your "package" and lock you into one position is uncomfortable.

I went with the Mustang and have no regrets. It lets you sit back further, and the flatter bottom allows you to move around a bit. It is firmer than stock, but oddly more comfortable.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. It really is the poor shape of the stock seats that create the most discomfort, rather than the materials.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
I AGREE...don't waste your $$$ on the Kawi gel seat. It is basically the same shape as the stock seat and the gel padding was marginally better at best. My gel seat is sitting in a box in storage.

But it's for sale for $50.00

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I AGREE...don't waste your $$$ on the Kawi gel seat. It is basically the same shape as the stock seat and the gel padding was marginally better at best. My gel seat is sitting in a box in storage.

RACNRAY
What are you using Ray? Got any pics?

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Garage
Quote:

RACNRAY
Sorry, but couldn't disagree more. I have the gel seat and have made trips to St. Augustine, Fl; New Orleans and Denver. A$$ fatigue was not a problem!! I will admit that the addition of the Grasshopper backrest was very nice!!

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted!" Garrison Keillor

2010 Vulcan 1700 Nomad
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Kawasaki Light Bar
Gel Seat
MC Hitch Trailer Hitch
Grasshopper Backrest
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:

RACNRAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychored View Post
Sorry, but couldn't disagree more. I have the gel seat and have made trips to St. Augustine, Fl; New Orleans and Denver. A$$ fatigue was not a problem!! I will admit that the addition of the Grasshopper backrest was very nice!!
MY BAD...the original poster has a Voyager, I have a Vaquero and I believe Psychored has a Nomad, three different skoots with different seats,so my experience only pertains to Kawi's gel seat for the Vaquero and my BUTT!!

I need to pay more attention!!

RACNRAY

WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
What are you using Ray? Got any pics?
I sent my stock seat to a company in Central Florida for a redo, decent job, more comfy than stock, but took 2 months. The seat ain't perfect as it was originally set-up when i weighed 25 pnds more, it's a bit too hard now.

I had the gel seat on then so i was able to ride while the stock seat was gettin done. I think it cost about $400.00 to have my seat redone.

RACNRAY

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks.
I guess in my earlier post when I asked Ray what he was using,I should have also mention, that I think the stock VV seat is awesome. At least so far. We have been on a couple 200 mile rides and I found it to be comfortable.
On the other hand, I had to find that "Sweet Spot' or my junk would be very upset with me But all in all, I find it to be a comfortable seat. Especially over other stock seats on different mfgs bikes. I would be very interested also as to what others are using on their VV and there feed back as well.

On a side note; $50 to keep my mouth shut about the GF @ss comment

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover