Thunder air kit and now a noisy motor - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thunder air kit and now a noisy motor

Just installed the Thunder air kit for stock cover and followed instructions including mounting the IAT in thier mounting plate.I must admit this is a well engineered kit.
I expected more suction noise like most of the air kits i have put on many bikes in the past.But not the mechanical noise under part throttle from about 2000 rpm to about 3500 rpm.Almost like a knock but its not fuel knock.Way more mechanical noise is hearable over the stock air cleaner set up.Proably coming through the throttle body somewhat.
Anybody else notice more mechanical noise when you ngot rid of the stock set up and went to an air kit like this Thunder kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Yep, I added a thunder air kit and it changed the sound. Not sure I like the sound, but I like everything else about adding the air kit.

2011 Vulcan Voyager ABS "Victoria"
Thunder air kit - #51010
Throttle mod by RacnRay
Kawasaki audio and headsets
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset dually w/ 1-1/4" clamps - #4575
Darkside - Yokohama AVID Ascend P195/60R-16 and Michelin Commander II 130/90x16

USAF '76 - '82
Ride 'er like you stole 'er.

Ride Bell by Longbraid
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Top Contributor

Yes I noticed. I left the left side on which probably helps and wear a full helmet. It's a muffled mechanical noise. I wonder about the round filter getting enough fresh cold air. My stock cover is still hot as hell using the stock thunder air. Thunder's best kit is the forced air kit. I confirmed with Thunder and they claim it makes more power at the top.

2011 Black Vaquero
V&H Slips, Thunder Stock Air, Cobra Fi2000r

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if I like all the mechanical noise also,but I will leave it on for now.Seems to have more get up and go from 3000 rpm and up,as i expected.And yes it still has a lot of warm air around it but still seems to improve performance somewhat anyways.I am going to study the situation and do some experimintation on reducing the audible engine noise and getting cooler air to the filter.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM

Wink

You took half the stock air box out I'm sure that piece helped muffle the the valve train noise that is probably what you are now hearing in addition to the more open air element noise. Get louder exhaust you won't notice it as much.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
Just installed the Thunder air kit for stock cover and followed instructions including mounting the IAT in thier mounting plate.I must admit this is a well engineered kit.
I expected more suction noise like most of the air kits i have put on many bikes in the past.But not the mechanical noise under part throttle from about 2000 rpm to about 3500 rpm.Almost like a knock but its not fuel knock.Way more mechanical noise is hearable over the stock air cleaner set up.Proably coming through the throttle body somewhat.
Anybody else notice more mechanical noise when you ngot rid of the stock set up and went to an air kit like this Thunder kit?

I sometimes hear what sounds similar from my VN2K (even though it has stock air cleaner). I'm not yet unconvinced it's not spark knock because it seems to go away with more throttle or less throttle. You'd think with more throttle it would be worse but I'm wondering if it's not a lean range in the map that happens to coincide with that range of RPM and certain range of percent throttle.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Louder exhaust would help thats for sure.LOL and yes I have just put some 91 octane fuel in the tank to see if the noise is reduced.I have been using 89 with the stock air kit and maybe it was muffling any pre ignition issues.We even have 94 octane up here also.It also has been in the 90,s up here lately and the ambient heat probably is not helping the situation.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
Not sure if I like all the mechanical noise also,but I will leave it on for now.Seems to have more get up and go from 3000 rpm and up,as i expected.And yes it still has a lot of warm air around it but still seems to improve performance somewhat anyways.I am going to study the situation and do some experimintation on reducing the audible engine noise and getting cooler air to the filter.
I solved my problem by wearing earplugs. Try it! Seriously.

'09 Kawasaki Voyager ABS
USMC 77-99
PGR
Band of Brothers USMC MRC
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM

Not to put too fine a point on this, it's a V-twin... they make noise and that's part of their charm, people that don't find it charming end up on Gold Wings and Beemers. If I don't hear the bike breathing and clunking and rumbling I'd think something was wrong. I do wear earplugs, it removes the wind noise and brings the mechanical music into focus...

You should hear her breath, she sounds alive...

The twisties not the superslabs separate the riders from the squids...

Last edited by DarkStar; 08-15-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Image edit...
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
I got Chuckster's Kit installed last night, but have yet to properly road test it. First impressions though are that I like the sound!...sort of the throaty sound of a 4 barrel V8 when blipping the throttle. I left the left side open and did not replace the stock filter housing or cover. The sight of the open left side is growing on me. It gives the tall, unobstructed cylinders kind of a Victory appearance.

Just sitting in the garage though, without the engine under true load is not a good test. Are these added objectionable engine noises I am reading about only heard while driving?

When I first fired her up I noticed a pop or two from the exhaust, but once she was warmed up and the ECU had time to settle down, I could not get it to pop, no matter how I turned the throttle or backed it off. I have the stock Classic Shotgun Exhaust and No Fuel Manager.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 08-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode