2012 Voyager: Before I buy, any issues with fly-by-wire and ABS? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

2012 Voyager: Before I buy, any issues with fly-by-wire and ABS?

Riders,

I was considering jumping on a 2012 Voyager instead of 2013 and I see that this was the first year for the electronic throttle. I don't know if this was the first year for the K-ACT ABS system or not, though.

Any praises or complaints with either of these systems? Any reliability problems that have required a warranty repair?

thanks again for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Lots of manufacturers have gone to fly-by-wire throttle systems without any real issues. LOTS of cars have them, most GM products nowadays do and many Fords do, and I'm sure many many more. Boeing and Airbus use the same technology for all of their control surfaces on many of their planes. I think it's a proven technology

There is a potential for electronic failure, but there's also a potential for a bound or stuck throttle cable, that's why kill switches are so great!

I don't have anything specific on the 1700, but I don't know that I, personally, would be turned off by fly by wire on a bike. YMMV. Good luck on the new scoot!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

All of the 1700 models have been ride-by-wire since their first year of production, 2009.

I personally am not aware of failures associated with those systems you mention, though I have only owned my 1700 since April 2011.

The one thing Kawi did screw up is lazy acceleration caused by a throttle delay programmed into the ECU, which is easily remedied by my throttle mod.

Here is a link to what forum members have been saying...

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26723

Hopefully members that have owned their skoots for some time can chime in with their thoughts concerning any issues.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM

I went from a 2009 VN 900 to a 2012 Voyager in November. The throttle does have some lag but I have gotten used to it. I will someday get Ray's throttle mod, but haven't gotten to that line on my wish list yet. As for ABS, I didn't get it on mine. I was too afraid the speed sensor would crap out and kick in the front brakes when I was in the middle of a full lock turn. I'm sure it's unfounded fear, but whatever. We're all weird in our own special way. LOL!

perrykw AKA "Gonzo"
Touratech Locking GPS Mount
Ipod / CB / Chuckster's Customs Hitch
Chuckster's Customs Parade Flag Mount
Flagpoles by Steve's MC Poles
Cee Bailey's 12 Inch Dark Windshield
Saddlebag and Trunk Led Interior Lights
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrykw View Post
I went from a 2009 VN 900 to a 2012 Voyager in November. The throttle does have some lag but I have gotten used to it. I will someday get Ray's throttle mod, but haven't gotten to that line on my wish list yet. As for ABS, I didn't get it on mine. I was too afraid the speed sensor would crap out and kick in the front brakes when I was in the middle of a full lock turn. I'm sure it's unfounded fear, but whatever. We're all weird in our own special way. LOL!
I have to agree here as far as the throttle goes. I really dont notice the lag, but do plan on going with rays throttle mod. Although I have only had my bike for going on three weeks now, I do not fear the ABS at all. I have total faith in this bike. Maybe I am crazy, but I absolutley love it. Yes even though it runs hotter than any other bike I have ever owned, it is somthing I can live with. My real test with the VV is in the mountains here in Va. The VV runs up and down them like they aint even there. I would purchase this bike all over again without hesitation.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

The K-ACT ABS system was available starting with the first release of this bike in 2009. I have the 2010 and can vouch that the system works well and almost invisibly. I locked the rear wheel of my previous bike twice and I've still got the adrenalin rush, so ABS was a firm requirement for me this time.

Dale

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrykw View Post
The throttle does have some lag but I have gotten used to it. I will someday get Ray's throttle mod, but haven't gotten to that line on my wish list yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
I have to agree here as far as the throttle goes. I really dont notice the lag, but do plan on going with rays throttle mod.
I would suggest RACNRAY's throttle mod should be one of your first additions, it's well worth the expense (inexpensive) and you'll be VERY pleased with the results. Small change to make a very nice bike much better and responsive. I wish I hadn't waited 8000 miles before I added it, I could have been enjoying this great ride so much more for that many more miles....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
+1 on Ray's Throttle Magic - it smooths things out real nice, especialy at low parking lot speed . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM

I've had Rays throttle mod for a few months now from the start its been great and was even better once I finally got the cables adjusted the way Ray advised.

Mine is a 2009 and I have never had a problem with he ABS or Kact system. Every now and then the Cruise won't come on but I have found this is just the foot brake switch sticking. A bit of cleaner sprayed into it and all is good again.

I, however have found my bike is an absolute dog on downhill twisties and no amount of tyre and shock adjustments seem to fix it. I have to drive it like a truck downhill or it tries to throw me into the opposite lane and oncoming traffic.

I put the Avon Venom front tyre on but if anything its worse, so I am going back to the stock front tyre. So those who's bikes handle well in the mountains I'm envious. But I would still buy a Voyager again.

2009 Voyager, "Battle Star"
SageBrush Bib,
LED's around Headlight,
Chrome cup holders,
Marvellas passenger and rider highway pegs,
Grasshoper backrest,
Kawasaki Gel seats,
Grey Sheepskin Seat covers,
Kawasaki Rear Speakers,
Ipod Kit,
H.D. trunk rack,
Chrome passenger board covers,
Chrome Engine plate,
Door Controller,
Fog Lights wired to High Beam on/off.
Speedo Healer, Backoff Brake Module
KAM's heat kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLue Knights BKAUS11 and
BlueLiners Australia

Ride with Pride
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM

I have had no issues with throttle or ABS on my '09 VV. I also added RacnRay's throttle mod. Ma Kaw did make some minor improvements to the ABS for the 2010 model and later.

'09 Kawasaki Voyager ABS
USMC 77-99
PGR
Band of Brothers USMC MRC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode