2013 Voyager: Standard "new bike" discussion - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

2013 Voyager: Standard "new bike" discussion

Here comes my new bike and I've learned a lot from this forum so far...

I need to make a list of things to watch as I maintain this motorcycle on my own so keep the good info coming:

1. I've learned the factory belt tension is too tight: 1.4mm @ 10 lbs. Wow, that seems way too tight for the bearings and shafts. Will take it home and back it off to 5-7mm.

2. Break-in says it should be the "granny" approach. Keep it below 2,500 rpm at shift points. Do the rings really get seated this way???

3. I'm thinking about removing the California Coke Can and vapor line BS. If I don't, anyone ran into problems when filling the gas tank? If this stuff is a PITA to remove, I may just leave it on.

4. How does the transmission behave with 15w40 oil? (assuming I go to synthetic at 3000 miles or so) Better or worse than 10w40? Noisy valves, noisy shifting? Your experience with different viscosities would help here.

What other things should I IMMEDIATELY be thinking about when I take it home other than going over the bike and taking a look at the belt tension??

Once again, thank you bikers for your insight!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
When I bought my bike, if I knew back then what I know now I would have broke in my motor differently. I would not have done the" grainy approach". There was a big discussion in the past on this forum about breaking in an engine. If you cannot find it with a search let me know and I would try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
A quick note on the oil

15w40 and 10w40 are going to be the same. They are both 40 weight when the engine is warm. The first number (W for Winter) is the weight of the oil when it's cold (winter temps). This makes it a little thinner facilitating easy start up in the winter. Once the engine is running, or on a warm day, they are both 40 weight.

There is a lot of discussion on break in Some say the rings only seat when you run it hard, others say the additional manifold pressure created during a 'hard' brake in will suck oil past the not-yet-set rings and glaze the cylinder walls. My only suggestion would be to do a lot of reading and research on the subject and make a decision on your own.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdybiker View Post

4. How does the transmission behave with 15w40 oil? (assuming I go to synthetic at 3000 miles or so) Better or worse than 10w40? Noisy valves, noisy shifting? Your experience with different viscosities would help here.
Most on this forum will likely concur that it doesn't seem to matter what type of oil or what viscosity you use when trying to quiet the tranny.
Note that I've worded this carefully in an attempt to avoid an "OIL DEBATE"

Even Full Synthetic 20w50 will break down within just a few days and the tranny will be as noisy as ever. The big, straight-cut gears shear the oil molecules like a food processor reducing the viscosity and thereby, reducing any noise-dampening effect.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to sansfaute
Thumbs up

Get RacnRay's throttle mod. good investment

Live Long and Ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Voyager,
Passenger Floorboard underside Chrome covers
Top bag rails
Lower bag rails
Chrome engine plate
Speed healer
Strebel Air horn
VN1500 side stand
RacnRay's throttle mod
I pod connector
Rear speaker kit
V Star Trunk rack
Bag Liners
Kuryakan off set foot pegs
K&N air filter
HD/Dunlop Wide whites
Kawasaki Zumo Gps mount
Zumo550 Gps
Cobra fuel processor
Cobra billet tip slip ons
Countless

VROC 31578
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM

I broke my 2011 Nomad it by running it on a 1500 mile trip. First half in the rain. Rode it from 25-70 mph. Mostly 70 mph. I did start the trip after the 600 mile oil change but still rode it the same way. No problems with 13,500 on it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 AM

Garage
I have been breaking mine in as recomended by the mfg (Kawasaki). Or as you call it, the granny method The first 500 miles at 2500rpm max and the the next 500 at 3500rpm max. Now, you all got me worried. Should I have taken this approach or should I have riden it like I stole it? I guess really though, only time will tell
I do know that between 2000 and 2500 is where I seem to get the best fuel milage. After 2500 up to 3500 it seems to be balls to the wall

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 AM

Cool

I've got a 2010 Nomad and "rode it like i stole it" from day one, its now got 12,000 km's on it and no issues so far.
BUT i've gotta say, the first day i rode it out of the shop i reckon it was a pile of shit. At that point i regretted not getting a Triumph Rocket 3.
Here we have a 1.7 litre engine between our legs and it was running like a 250Virago.
After you mod the pipes,mod the air intake and add a fuel processor, things will be much better. Its just a shame that Kawasaki restrict them so tightly.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo222 View Post
I've got a 2010 Nomad and "rode it like i stole it" from day one, its now got 12,000 km's on it and no issues so far.
BUT i've gotta say, the first day i rode it out of the shop i reckon it was a pile of shit. At that point i regretted not getting a Triumph Rocket 3.
Here we have a 1.7 litre engine between our legs and it was running like a 250Virago.
After you mod the pipes,mod the air intake and add a fuel processor, things will be much better. Its just a shame that Kawasaki restrict them so tightly.
You'll be okay. When is the last time you went to buy a bike and they said "Oh, he didn't break it in right, it's liable to blow up within 30k"

There are two schools of thought, both with very valid points, as to which will allow your bike to make the most power, run the coolest, and last the longest. Either method, however, is going to at the very least create an "on par" bike. If break in was do-or-die we'd be seeing a lot more engine issues on these forums. The issue at hand, is which will make more power and last the absolute longest before burning some oil.

I did the granny method too on the wifes shadow (bought my bike already broken in). Not knocking the other method either, I'm not an engineer, what do I know. I've seen enough stuff on both sides to make my head spin, so I've just kind of retreated to the owners manual and just stuck with whatever they said.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Top Contributor

Who was it on here that had a link that espoused the reasons for running a new bike like crazy as the proper way for break-in? It was nuts but the explanation made sense.

It would not apply to me because I'll never have a new bike to break in but some of the stuff coming from this web site can confuse the heck out of you.

Always best to use good judgement and common sense and if you are lacking, run your new bike like it was stolen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode