2009 V1700 shift problems - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

2009 V1700 shift problems

Clunks from neutral to first or drags the bike ahead slightly if started in first. Seems the clutch is not completely dis-engaging. yes it has the other famous clunks shifting up to 2 and 3 (can be less clunk with gear change at select RPM). Dealers and mechanics are not familiar with the neutral to first clunk (hammer). Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Friend of mine had similar problem with his 09 nomad.

Problem area was at the little cylinder at the bottom that pushes the clutch hydraulically.

Was a little corroded and needed to be cleaned up and re-lubricated.

2009 Voyager ABS
Ebony & Titanium
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM

It used to be said with HD, 'if it don't clunk it's junk'...

Bikes with a wet multi plate clutch will jump or clunk a little with first gear engagement, the individual plates tend to stick together due to the viscosity of the oil and it is usually more pronounced when the oil is cold. I always warm up my bikes and while doing so I pull in the clutch lever multiple times, when I move to first gear it's 'click', never clunk...

I do quite a bit of track riding and can rev-match while upshifting and downshifting, no clutch. I've tried that technique on my Vaquero and the transmission is silent when rev-match shifting without the clutch, in my opinion the clutch doesn't completely disengage so finding the sweet spot for each gear is a must...

The twisties – not the superslabs –separate the riders from the squids...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Top Contributor

Method I use for 1st gear to avoid clunk.

While in neutral. I pull in the clutch lever.
I put toe under the shifter with a light upward pressure as if going into second. I do not put it into second I just put a bit of presure on. I hold it for about 1/4-1/2 second and then do repeat. My 1st gear engagment is then smooth without hardly a click.

09 - 1700 Nomad
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response folks. Going to open it up this weekend (with the help of a Kawi tool pusher) and see wutzup. I'll let you know what we find.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Just an update. Didn't go there last weekend as I had visions of the bike tore down and waiting for parts while I twiddle my thumbs on my holidays which start this weekend. Hopefully it will stay together for this as the problem ain't big enough yet to justify a long wait for a fix. Again my thanks for your input. I have tried the various suggestions but nothing is yet changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode