Manual question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Manual question

By searching this forum I've found how to remove the spark plugs.

However I have a digital 2009 service manual (PDF) for the Nomad. When you search down the spark plug removal and installation, it seems to have been an oversight, or else I'm missing a page.

It's listed in two places. One in the Periodic Maintenance, there is says to refer to the Electrical section for plug removal.

But when I go to the Electrical section, it says to refer to the Periodic Maintenance section for plug removal.

Does eveyone's manual have this same error ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Top Contributor

The answer starts on 2-67 of your manual. The good thing about an electronic copy is you can search the document. Get used to Kawasaki service manuals. I came from a Yamaha and they were written without all the teasers. You want to know how to do this flip here then flip there, then refer to this. I have a hard copy for my classic. I've flipped through every page with dirty hands.

As far as removing I used a standard spark plug deep socket and 6" extension as no place sells a metric socket around me. I think "memory here" I have a 9/16 in deep socket I bought. To check the plugs you just remove the plastic speedo gauge off the tank, remove tank, and then have at it. The tank is a breeze to remove. I've had mine off about 20 times so far in the 1 year I've owned the bike. It's to the point where it takes under 5 minutes. No big deal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
The answer starts on 2-67 of your manual. The good thing about an electronic copy is you can search the document. Get used to Kawasaki service manuals. I came from a Yamaha and they were written without all the teasers. You want to know how to do this flip here then flip there, then refer to this. I have a hard copy for my classic. I've flipped through every page with dirty hands.

As far as removing I used a standard spark plug deep socket and 6" extension as no place sells a metric socket around me. I think "memory here" I have a 9/16 in deep socket I bought. To check the plugs you just remove the plastic speedo gauge off the tank, remove tank, and then have at it. The tank is a breeze to remove. I've had mine off about 20 times so far in the 1 year I've owned the bike. It's to the point where it takes under 5 minutes. No big deal.
Thanks guy, that is one of the best descriptions of the process I've read. I figured the console speedo would have to come off and disconnect the fuel pressure line connector, and fuel pump connector.

I'm still looking around in the manual, but wanted to ask does the Nomad tank have a cross over tube like my Harley did ? It's a tube that connects each half of the tank. It's a drag to remove cause you have to rig up some sort of make shift flat funnel to catch the remaining gas in the tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Top Contributor

The manual says to empty the fuel in the tank... Yeah right. It's obviously easier to remove with less fuel but the most that will happen is some slight spit up when disconnecting the connection from the pump. Have a rag handy. No special surprises. Just remove the bezel, disconnect the hose at the front, disconnect fuel supply and snap connector on left side, remove two bolts under seat, slide back and off rubber tank stays. As far as order, bezel, rear bolts, prop up, disconnect everything, remove.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

2011 Black Vaquero
V&H Slips, Thunder Stock Air, Cobra Fi2000r
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Contributor

Changing spark plugs usually doesn't need to be a spur of the moment thing so a bit of advance planning to run the tank low isn't too hard. Don't have to drain it, don't have to deal with more than necessary.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
I'm still looking around in the manual, but wanted to ask does the Nomad tank have a cross over tube like my Harley did ? It's a tube that connects each half of the tank. It's a drag to remove cause you have to rig up some sort of make shift flat funnel to catch the remaining gas in the tank.
No it does not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
Sponsored Links