Rear pulley float - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Rear pulley float

Can anyone who has taken the back wheel off their 1700 tell me if it is normal to see some float in the pulley where it's mounted to the hub?

My 900 was firmly bolted, as is this one, but there is a slight degree of play between the pulley and wheel. Perhaps for belt alignment ?

Please let me know thanks.

2009 Voyager ABS
Ebony & Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersterhernd View Post
Can anyone who has taken the back wheel off their 1700 tell me if it is normal to see some float in the pulley where it's mounted to the hub?

My 900 was firmly bolted, as is this one, but there is a slight degree of play between the pulley and wheel. Perhaps for belt alignment ?

The pulley is solidly bolted to the pulley hub, there will be no play between those two.

The pulley hub is NOT an intergral part of the wheel, and the 1700's have what is called a "cush drive". Between the pulley hub and the wheel are rubber dampers that absorb drive line shock, and these do allow some movement in the pulley/pulley hub. So yes there will be some"float" in the pulley.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
The pulley is solidly bolted to the pulley hub, there will be no play between those two.

The pulley hub is NOT an intergral part of the wheel, and the 1700's have what is called a "cush drive". Between the pulley hub and the wheel are rubber dampers that absorb drive line shock, and these do allow some movement in the pulley/pulley hub. So yes there will be some"float" in the pulley.

RACNRAY
Thx a lot Racnray!

(ersterhernd breathes a deep sigh of relief)

2009 Voyager ABS
Ebony & Titanium

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Its a hub floater.... I found out when I changed my tire.... The play you see may just be hub play....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	12672

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
This is common practice now. Even my ZX14 has a cush drive hub.

2010 Voyager
Roaring Twinz Air Kit
Thunder Manufacturing dress-up plate
VN1500 kickstand
Chrome bling on passenger floorboards
Rockford Fosgate Amplifer
Polk Audio/Kicker speakers
Kawasaki CB radio
Rear speaker kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash slip-ons
Power Commander V
Portable XM radio thru AUX
Marvellas trailer hitch
Lower bag rails
Kuryakyn Tour-tech cruise peg mounts
Kuryakyn black ISO grips w/bar-end weight & red trim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersterhernd View Post

The pulley on yor 900 was NOT solidly bolted to the rar wheel, it was attached to a "sprocket hub" or more accurately in this case called a "pulley hub", just as all belt and chain driven Jap street bikes have had for years. If I recall the only skoots that may have their rear pulley or sprocket soiidly mounted may be dirt bikes.

Your old 900 has the same basic set-up as the 1700's do, a seperate hub for the pulley with rubber dampers between the hub and wheel to absorb drive line shock.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I found out the hard way that the pulley is not fastened to the wheel. I had the new tire mounted at the dealer and when I went to lift the wheel (pulley side down, oops) the pulley fell out of the wheel and landed on the asphalt. Fortunately didn't damage it, phew.

All the rubber dampers fell out to, six if them. At least I learned a lesson of how it all fits together. Next time won't make that mistake.

For anyone who is going to remove their wheel, you don't need to follow the service manual method. You need to drop the left side exhaust pipe down and remove the saddlebags & shocks, that's it. The axle slides right out when the wheel sits low enough for the axle to pull out under the left saddlebag mount. Oh, you'll need to loosen (not remove) the chrome cover to remove the top shock bolts.

Waaaayyyyy easier than removing the trunk and rear fender as per the SM.

2009 Voyager ABS
Ebony & Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode