how many times has it happened to you? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

how many times has it happened to you?

Okay, how many times has it happened to you?

You drop your bike while stopped or stopping. Be honest now.. it happens to us all, eventually, right?

Happened to me yesterday afternoon for the second time since I've owned it. 7 months and 9300 miles, I guess that's not too bad, is it?

First time was within the first month I had it, I was cruiseing around the backroads of the countryside and pulled up to a T intersection and stopped, put my feet down, and I can't imagine what happened, maybe a hole in the ground or whatever, but it leaned right, and got real heavy IN A HURRY and I let it lay over on the right guards. I looked around... no one anywhere to see.. GOOD! Glad I had watched Youtube to see how to pick these monsters up! I go around and lift with my legs and up she goes, and I then realize, I didn't lower the side stand..ARHHHH! so I'm trying to turn around without dropping it onto the LEFT side and steady it, climb on, and lower the side stand. Whew! Got it!!

Second time was yesterday, I was pulling up in front of my house, onto the sidewalk, coming in a little faster than I probably should have, got onto the grass and applied front brake while turning back onto the sidewalk, stopped and over she went onto the right side again. This time the guards hit concrete scuffing them a little... but I did remember to put the side stand down this time before righting the bike.
The only problem was, I had left work early to get home, two daughters and step sons, AND MY WIFE, were waiting for me, and witnessed this one!! .. and a neighbor's daugher.

The only thing my wife said was "happens when everyone is watching doesn't it"?

Do you all know there is a 'bike down' safety built in that shuts off the engine and it won't restart without turning the ignition off and on again. So, if you are in the habit of removing the key, as I am, you have to dig into your pocket, insert key, turn off then back on, to ride away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yes I laid mine over once on the left side while I was up in the mountains a couple of years ago. My problem was I had stopped on a slope going downward on my left side which meant my left foot didn't touch ground in time. But after my friends help me to get it right side up again I noticed there was absolutely no dings or scratches. And also that's when I found out you had to turn off the ignition and then back on. That thing sure it gets heavy quickly. Hope that never happens again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
[QUOTE=almsy;242497]Okay, how many times has it happened to you?

The only problem was, I had left work early to get home, two daughters and step sons, AND MY WIFE, were waiting for me, and witnessed this one!! .. and a neighbor's daugher.

I really appreciate your wife's attitude about the drop!! She sounds like a real keeper!!!

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

I really appreciate your wife's attitude about the drop!! She sounds like a real keeper!!!
Her comment surprised me too! I wonder if she would have said that if she had been on the bike with me??
She is a 'keeper' for sure though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Well, I've never dropped mine, but mine is a 900! hehe. However, I've done some bone-head stuff a few times that, if it was any heavier, it'd be on it's side.

Lady I know rides a big ol softail and isn't so big herself. She must drop that thing at intersections once a month! Despite it being lowered and with a thinned seat, if she steps in a low spot... Tiiiimbbbeerrrrr

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I was pulling my 900 into the garage after washing it.
I thought the stand was down and leaned it to the left.
Even the little 900 can get heavy in a hurry!

It touched on the floorbard and bags, no damage at all.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I was pulling my 900 into the garage after washing it.
I thought the stand was down and leaned it to the left.
Even the little 900 can get heavy in a hurry!

It touched on the floorbard and bags, no damage at all.

Scott
Wife did the same thing with her 750 shadow! LOL. She got back from the MSF, was riding around in a parking lot getting comfortable and just doing fantastic. Went on for an hour or so, pulled into a parking spot, shut down the engine, swung her leg over the bike and hopped right off! (Notice a missing step?) LOL

It landed on the peg though. No harm no foul.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Do you notice that this sort of thing wants to happen after you've been riding steadily for awhile? I tend to get used to the balance of the bike moving. When I drive into a gas station (for instance) I have to be extra careful because the slow maneuvers start to feel awkward.

Cruizin on my Bagger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Vulcan 900 LT (Sold!)
2011 Nomad 1700- Blue & Silver
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by almsy View Post
Okay, how many times has it happened to you?

You drop your bike while stopped or stopping. Be honest now.. it happens to us all, eventually, right?

Happened to me yesterday afternoon for the second time since I've owned it. 7 months and 9300 miles, I guess that's not too bad, is it?

First time was within the first month I had it, I was cruiseing around the backroads of the countryside and pulled up to a T intersection and stopped, put my feet down, and I can't imagine what happened, maybe a hole in the ground or whatever, but it leaned right, and got real heavy IN A HURRY and I let it lay over on the right guards. I looked around... no one anywhere to see.. GOOD! Glad I had watched Youtube to see how to pick these monsters up! I go around and lift with my legs and up she goes, and I then realize, I didn't lower the side stand..ARHHHH! so I'm trying to turn around without dropping it onto the LEFT side and steady it, climb on, and lower the side stand. Whew! Got it!!

Second time was yesterday, I was pulling up in front of my house, onto the sidewalk, coming in a little faster than I probably should have, got onto the grass and applied front brake while turning back onto the sidewalk, stopped and over she went onto the right side again. This time the guards hit concrete scuffing them a little... but I did remember to put the side stand down this time before righting the bike.

Do you all know there is a 'bike down' safety built in that shuts off the engine and it won't restart without turning the ignition off and on again. So, if you are in the habit of removing the key, as I am, you have to dig into your pocket, insert key, turn off then back on, to ride away.
I would like to have and address for this video

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Here's some.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac.biMzGtMGSMg

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

Last edited by davidsheek; 08-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode