Dealer won't let me "fly before I buy." Voyager comfort compared to HD Ultra Classic - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Dealer won't let me "fly before I buy." Voyager comfort compared to HD Ultra Classic

I've run into this more and more as the years go buy. I want to check out a Voyager before I drop my cash and the dealer won't allow test rides, even for serious buyers. Every bike I've ever owned... I rode it first before making a final decision. So far, two dealers in one week have pulled this on me.

My question is: For anyone familiar with the Ultra Classic (2009 or so), how does the Voyager's rear shocks compare to Harley in terms of ride quality and comfort. I noticed the Voyager's shocks are much softer, meaning i can sit on the bike and get a lot of travel, compared to the Harley.

I have played with the air in my Ultra's shocks and to this day, I don't consider them to be very comfortable on anything but the smoothest road... very disappointing for a $22,000 bike.

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 PM

shocks on Voyager are air and rebound adjustable as well. Maybe the ones you sat on only had a few pounds air in them. Sorry, haven't owned a HD bagger, can't speak for them, I know you can add air, but do they have rebound adjustments as well?

Voyager I bought last December had 300 miles on it, claimed they used it as a demo bike.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM

I guess I'm old enough now that dealers granting 'test rides' are a new thing, it certainly doesn't happen in this area and back in the day no such animal as a test ride existed except for rare dealer/manufacturer sponsored events. I certainly don't blame dealers for not allowing test rides either, I personally won't buy a motorcycle with any miles on it and I won't allow test rides on used bikes I've sold... you want, buy it and ride it...

The twisties – not the superslabs –separate the riders from the squids...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I test rode an Ultra before buying my Voyager - Both seats felt good and supportive - And you can play with the shocks - Where I found the major difference was the feet - The Ultra cramped my feet - they felt trapped by the lower fairing . . . The Voyager protects them but doesn't box them in . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Garage
Victory was the only ones to let me test ride and Harley offered to deduct the cost of a rental bike from the price if I bought. In the end I'm glad I bought the Vaquero even without the test.

2011 Black Vaquero SOLD

Power Commander V
Rifle 10.5" Dark Gray Shield
Kuryakyn Tour Techs w/ dually highway pegs
Iso Grips, RACNRAY modded
Mustang Touring Seat w/Driver Backrest
KQR Backrest w/Mustang sissy bar pad
Auxiliary Lights
Ipod/DC Adapters
Saddlebag Liners
Polk 5.25" Speakers
Passenger Floorboards
Vance/Hines Slip Ons
DEI 2.5 Header Wrap
Engine Ice
Backoff XP Brake Light Module
Chuckster's Risers
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
Michelin Commander II's
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Lightbulb

Yeah, my dealer does not allow test rides. From a buyer's point of view, I would love to test ride but, also, I want a brand new bike when I buy, not one that a bunch of people tried out. Just my 2˘.

Scotty J
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
AMA 1050493
VBA 01583
VROC 27581
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Top Contributor

I've yet to be able to secure a test ride on a new, dealer-stock metric bike in several years of trying.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:20 PM

When I was shopping for a bike, the Yamaha guy told me to tell him what I wanted to test ride and he would have it ready when I came in. I actually did not test ride anything there but the Victory dealership (not metric, I know) let me hop on a Cross Country and basically said to go ride and come back when you're done. I've tested bikes at a Honda dealership too during their special test ride days. But only test rode Kawis when they've had an event or at the motorcycle show.

Scotty J
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
AMA 1050493
VBA 01583
VROC 27581
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Harley let me test ride whatever I wanted - Kawi let me test a Vaquero - I figured that was close to the Voyager and went with that . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies, I guess not allowing a ride is more common than I thought.

What I'm trying to find out is if the Voyager rear suspension is more comfortable than the Ultra Classic, if anyone has experience with both.

I understand they have the same basic set-up, while Victory Cross Country has a single shock, however.

I don't think my Harley's rear suspension is particularly comfortable and really doesn't impress me, especially knowing how much I paid for it.

Who has ridden both, chosen the Voyager, and why did they choose the Voyager over the Harley as far as comfort is concerned???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode