Californial Model ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Californial Model ?

OK, I just found out that the VV I just purchased last week is a California model. On every other bike I have been told I did not want that. The Kawasaki dealer I purchased from never mention that this was a Cali model. I dont know wether to be pissed or not. Is there much differance besides the vaccum hoses for fuel vapor recovery? Am I being cheated of preformance? Should I get a lawyer and demand a none Cali model? Do I have a reason to be pissed? You just cant imagine what is going through my mind right now. I only found out after the dealer mech told me because I noticed a couple of vaccum lines hanging from under the frame/tank, and asked him to hide them. And looking in the owners manual at the sticker locations verifies that this IS a Cali model. He also told me that they have from time to time gotten in Cali models from the mfg and never really questioned it. How many of you have a Cali model and didnt or dont know it? Should the dealer not have disclosed this information to me?
Sorry for my seemingly to be going off the deep wnd, But I am. I look forward to hearing from those of you that know better than me.
Thanks,
Frank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Are you sure that they aren't all "50 state" models now? I bought my 2011 Nomad in Utah and had it shipped to Los Angeles. It had a "50 state" certification and got registered in CA with no problems.
BTW, I haven't had any problems with the way it runs, especially after I put RACENRAY's throttle mod on it. I do have other plans in mind for it though .

Cruizin on my Bagger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Vulcan 900 LT (Sold!)
2011 Nomad 1700- Blue & Silver
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Simply adding a charcoal collection cannister for emission vapours should not affect performance.

A different ECU, however, could affect performance. You might want to check one of the OEM parts sites to compare ECU part numbers and see if the California model's is different.

http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have a friend that bought a Vulcan Voyager and didn't know it was a California model until weeks later. He was upset too, but what can you do. Like Hammer said there's a collection canister that attempts to return fuel back into the gas tank. The downside my friend found was that he could not fill the gas tank to the full indicator without having problems.
Knowing what I know now if I were to buy a new bike I would make sure that it was not a California model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Garage
Frank, I saw your post & got curious. I went out & checked my 2011 Nomad I bought in March & guess what, it's a California model as well! Now i don't know if i should be pissed but i am. Bought mine at Kawasaki City in Lancaster,Texas. (Dallas suburb) What's the purpose of having 2 models if the California model if it's sold all over the country anyway? When you say California model on anything i immediately think of reduced performance cause of additional EPA regulation crap. As far as i can tell right now it has a different fuel evaporative system for sure. I don't really know what that means except for there is more crap to eventually give problems. I will be discussing this with my dealer for sure. All i know is that if i had wanted a California model i would have went to California to buy it. I do plan on installing Racnrays' throttle mod, Cobra Scallloped tip slip-ons & a K & N filter so maybe that might offset any performance loss caused by additional restrictions. If any of you guys find out anything else please let me & Frank know.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I know the Vulcan 900's have reports of reduced fuel economy on the California models. I've often wondered, too, why there are two models, unless there is some significant disadvantage or reason Kawasaki bothers to sell two models rather than JUST the California model (which would be legal everywhere).

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb

Well, This is what I just found out after calling the number in the back of the owners manual:
The only difference is that the Ca model has a fuel vapor recovery system. (vacuum hoses, charcoal canister etc...) instead of venting to the atmosphere. However, the tank is also different because of the added line or lines. Kawai will not pay to have this system removed but will not void the warranty if I remove it. I guess now I need to determine if its worth it or not. Probably not. The owners manual says on Cali models NOT to fill above the bottom of the filler tube because fuel will get into the recovery system and cause performance issues. So.....Also, he could not explain why this bike was on the east coast or why my dealer did not disclose this info to me. And I am wondering now, does it really matter? So maybe I got all hot and bothered for nothing? No O2 sensor or any electrical differences tells me that I should leave well enough alone and put it out of my head I still love my VV
Comments please:

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If it were me I would disconnect, plug and remove anything pertaining to that fuel recovery system because I like filling the gas tank as full as I want. The California models shouldn't be sold over here in the East, that they are. My friend that bought the VV here in Florida was a California model and had problems if he filled it up to full, even to the bottom of the filler tube. So he had to stop filling about an inch below that. If I was stuck with a model like that, I would just remove it all and be done with it.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Garage
My bike is a CA model and I fill mine into the fuel tank neck all the time and have no problems.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert rider View Post
My bike is a CA model and I fill mine into the fuel tank neck all the time and have no problems.
Is your bke a Vulcan Voyager?

Sponsored Links