Turn Signal Lens Problems - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Turn Signal Lens Problems

Has anyone else experienced a brittle and crumbling Amber Turn Signal Lens?

One of my front Turn Signal Lenses on my 1700 Classic LT just came apart in my hands while cleaning my bike. They would be the same front lenses as the Nomad and likely the same rear lens used on most 1700's.

The edges of the lens were all crumbly and powdery - almost as though someone had tried to glue it in place. The remaining three lenses are all solid and show no signs of falling out - which brings me to my next point...

How do you remove them? Do they just snap on or do you need to remove the single screw in the back of the signal housing first, then give it a quarter turn while holding your tongue a certain way?

Until my dealer get a new lens at approx. $30+ (thankfully my bike is still under warranty), I have taped the old lens in place so that I can still drive the bike.

Edit: Well, a review of the Service Manual has revealed that the Amber Lens is supposed to remain attached to the reflector assembly and that the bulb is to be removed from the rear of the reflector/bulb socket assembly. Clearly I have a defective unit in which either the Amber Lens was not properly attached to the reflector assembly, or the lens itself was made from inferior material that cracked/crumbled.

No wonder the Signal Lens/Reflector Assembly is so expensive ($30+). If the lenses were available separately, they would likely not cost more than $5-$10 each.

Sorry to have wasted your time, but my home 'puter is down and I only have access to the .pdf manual at work, where I am failing miserably at restricting my Forum addiction

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 08-08-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Has anyone else experienced a brittle and crumbling Amber Turn Signal Lens?

One of my front Turn Signal Lenses on my 1700 Classic LT just came apart in my hands while cleaning my bike. They would be the same front lenses as the Nomad and likely the same rear lens used on most 1700's.

The edges of the lens were all crumbly and powdery - almost as though someone had tried to glue it in place. The remaining three lenses are all solid and show no signs of falling out - which brings me to my next point...

How do you remove them? Do they just snap on or do you need to remove the single screw in the back of the signal housing first, then give it a quarter turn while holding your tongue a certain way?

Until my dealer get a new lens at approx. $30+ (thankfully my bike is still under warranty), I have taped the old lens in place so that I can still drive the bike.

Edit: Well, a review of the Service Manual has revealed that the Amber Lens is supposed to remain attached to the reflector assembly and that the bulb is to be removed from the rear of the reflector/bulb socket assembly. Clearly I have a defective unit in which either the Amber Lens was not properly attached to the reflector assembly, or the lens itself was made from inferior material that cracked/crumbled.

No wonder the Signal Lens/Reflector Assembly is so expensive ($30+). If the lenses were available separately, they would likely not cost more than $5-$10 each.

Sorry to have wasted your time, but my home 'puter is down and I only have access to the .pdf manual at work, where I am failing miserably at restricting my Forum addiction
I've had a few of the standard style lenses crack on my old 900 Vulcan but have yet to have this issue with any of my stock 1700 turn signals. I agree that you probably got a defective one.

Yea the lens/reflector assembly is kind of a pain especially if you want to use any type of custom LED bulbs.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode