New owner operating questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New owner operating questions

Hi all,
I have a couple questions that ya'll might be able to help with. Hopefully I can explain them for you to understand what I am meaning.
1) I know these are V-Twins with very restrictive exhaust. But is the engine suppose to sound like its going put-put-put and so on? Dont laugh. How do you explain sound with words. Its almost as if a plug is fouled, but the bike does seem to be running ok.
2) Does anyone else have an issue with the resume feature on the cruise control? The cc works, but it will not resume after using the brake, clutch or coming from a stop after getting back into 6th gear.
3) My temp gauge, while running down the road is Always one mark above the middle (as most of ya'lls from what I have read) But I believe the fan is always running. Its kinda hard to now this one because when I stop, it is running.

I have just over 300 miles on the bike and I love it. Does not feel like a 900 lb bike while riding and coming from a 700lb Honda, this feels lighter. It is definetly a heat maker, but I can deal with that. I am just trying to figure if I am being overly cautious or if I should visit my dealer.
I have read and read tons here and you guys seem to have seen it all, or just about. Thanks for a great forum and a great group of riders.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM

My cruise control resumes when I apply the cc accelerate switch.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

#1 That is not put put put. Its Potato Potato Potato. Thats the pulse of a v-twin. You'll get used to it.

#2 The set for cruise is to the left. The resume is to the right. For the nomad at least. Think there all the same. If you fall below 30 mph it looses all memory. Same as a car except i think its 25 mph.

#3 The gage is normal. They run hot. They bring off alot of heat. People wrap the pipes with high temp heat wrap. You can search for heat issues. Lots of info.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggent View Post
My cruise control resumes when I apply the cc accelerate switch.
But thats just it, mine does not. But now that I think about it..........see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
#1 That is not put put put. Its Potato Potato Potato. Thats the pulse of a v-twin. You'll get used to it.

#2 The set for cruise is to the left. The resume is to the right. For the nomad at least. Think there all the same. If you fall below 30 mph it looses all memory. Same as a car except i think its 25 mph.

#3 The gage is normal. They run hot. They bring off alot of heat. People wrap the pipes with high temp heat wrap. You can search for heat issues. Lots of info.
#1 Never quite heard it described like this befor. I have had V-Twins before, but this sure sounds a bit different than others. Must be the restrictive exhaust.

#2 Same with the VV. I didnt know that it looses its memory below 30mph. I'll have to note that in the am when I get off. I cant remember quite what I have been doing.

#3 Is the fan suppose to always run or run more often than not?

Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM

My cruise control has done that wouldn't resume. I'm not sure if this was the case every time but one time when I had my foot on the hwy pegs my heel was touching the rear brake pedal and I didn't notice it and it obviously wouldn't set and I think that was the problem. I'm now more conscious about it and havn't had any problems since. Also if it did do it again touch the brakes or clutch and try it again it might be a sticky switch.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
But thats just it, mine does not. But now that I think about it..........see below

#1 Never quite heard it described like this befor. I have had V-Twins before, but this sure sounds a bit different than others. Must be the restrictive exhaust.

#2 Same with the VV. I didnt know that it looses its memory below 30mph. I'll have to note that in the am when I get off. I cant remember quite what I have been doing.

My Nomad 1700 fan runs alot. Feels pretty warm in traffic. But i get more airflow without all that plastic covers.

The cruise also wont work over 80 mph. Never tried it thou.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Top Contributor

Fan

The fan is not running it just feels like it is! I thought the same thing when I got mine. Thats the way they run get used to it. Its reality I reckon.

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post

You said you had a Honda before? Most Honda V-Twins (except the 750 I think) use a dual pin crank which is kinda-sorta similar to a crankshaft in a car. That, combines with dual counter balancers on most Honda motors makes them smooth and quiet, and sound more like an in-line engine.

These 1700 Kawasaki motors are single pin. That means the cylinder firing pattern is uneven, because unlike a dual-pin engine, where each cylinder fires opposite the other, the firing pattern is closer together. (Making a pop-pop....pop-pop-pop...pop-pop sound)

Here's a comparison:

Single pin engine, like your Vulcan

Dual pin engine, like most Honda's

As far as the fan, check your coolant reservoir. Perhaps it's a tad low and that's causing the cooling system to be inefficient?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
You said you had a Honda before? Most Honda V-Twins (except the 750 I think) use a dual pin crank which is kinda-sorta similar to a crankshaft in a car. That, combines with dual counter balancers on most Honda motors makes them smooth and quiet, and sound more like an in-line engine.

These 1700 Kawasaki motors are single pin. That means the cylinder firing pattern is uneven, because unlike a dual-pin engine, where each cylinder fires opposite the other, the firing pattern is closer together. (Making a pop-pop....pop-pop-pop...pop-pop sound)

Here's a comparison:

Single pin engine, like your Vulcan

Dual pin engine, like most Honda's

As far as the fan, check your coolant reservoir. Perhaps it's a tad low and that's causing the cooling system to be inefficient?
Thank you much for the explanation and the drawings This makes perfect sense to me. Especially after you explaind it with the art work.
I will definetly check out the coolant level in the am when I get home. Should I pull the tank or just check the overflow? Maybe burp the system?

Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I would also like to Thank everyone who has replied to this topic. You all have definetly given m somthing to think about and check out in the morning. I work nights so most of the time I am day dreaming about well.....the day time I love this new VV and look forward to putting on as many miles as possible.

Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Yamaha Trunk Rack