Rotating Handlebars up a little - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Rotating Handlebars up a little

2011 Nomad 1700. I'm thinking of rotating the OEM handlebars up a little since I have such long arms. However I'm looking in the manual and I see a reference to a "pin" (on the left side) on the housing that goes into a hole in the bars (?).

Are these controls on the 1700 locked into a bar hole so I can't readjust the rotation of the switches and levers after rotating the bars ?

Haven't pulled anything apart yet, just looking in manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
2011 Nomad 1700. I'm thinking of rotating the OEM handlebars up a little since I have such long arms. However I'm looking in the manual and I see a reference to a "pin" (on the left side) on the housing that goes into a hole in the bars (?).

Are these controls on the 1700 locked into a bar hole so I can't readjust the rotation of the switches and levers after rotating the bars ?

Haven't pulled anything apart yet, just looking in manual.
The pin is there on the Vaquero. I rotated my bars up a little, but the levers went down a little, and I had to adjust the mirrors a bit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post
The pin is there on the Vaquero. I rotated my bars up a little, but the levers went down a little, and I had to adjust the mirrors a bit.
Hmmm, I'm thinking of dremeling the pin off. Surely the control bolts would hold the bars without the pin (they have on every other bike I've owned).

What in the world do folks that buy aftermarket bars ?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm thinking of dremeling the pin off. Surely the control bolts would hold the bars without the pin (they have on every other bike I've owned).

What in the world do folks that buy aftermarket bars ?
The pin holds the controls in place, not the bars. That's why you can't move the brake or clutch lever when you adjust the bars. But ow that you mention it, I guess the clamp should tighten enough to hold the levers in place without the nub in the hole on the bars. If not, a piece of tape to add some thickness should do it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM

The pin is gone on mine and the clamp bolts hold it just fine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Same with mine. Pins gone. Holds fine. I have Victory cross country bars on my nomad.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post
The pin holds the controls in place, not the bars. That's why you can't move the brake or clutch lever when you adjust the bars. But ow that you mention it, I guess the clamp should tighten enough to hold the levers in place without the nub in the hole on the bars. If not, a piece of tape to add some thickness should do it.
Yes I surmized it held the controls from turning etc, a good design concept except that it gets in the way of adjustments that have been going on for decades on bikes. And don't know for sure but I would bet aftermarket bars do not have this receiving depression or hole for the pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
The pin is gone on mine and the clamp bolts hold it just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
Same with mine. Pins gone. Holds fine. I have Victory cross country bars on my nomad.
What did you guys use to get rid of it ? I'm thinking a hand file would do it but I have yet to actually look at in. I've only seen the reference to it in the manual.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Garage
This is very interesting to me as I am 6'4" and a long reach. Have you noticed any differance in the handling of the bike after moving the bars forward? I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question as bars are made to be adjustable, but this is a heavy bike and my skinny ass dont need to take any chances.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Yes I surmized it held the controls from turning etc, a good design concept except that it gets in the way of adjustments that have been going on for decades on bikes. And don't know for sure but I would bet aftermarket bars do not have this receiving depression or hole for the pin.

What did you guys use to get rid of it ? I'm thinking a hand file would do it but I have yet to actually look at in. I've only seen the reference to it in the manual.
A file will do fine. I actually sheared mine off useing an impact screwdriver to get the tight 2 little screws out at the top. You'll find there in there tight. I striped 1. When i hit the driver with the hammer the housing turned.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
This is very interesting to me as I am 6'4" and a long reach. Have you noticed any differance in the handling of the bike after moving the bars forward? I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question as bars are made to be adjustable, but this is a heavy bike and my skinny ass dont need to take any chances.
I haven't done my yet been working everyday, but it will change the way it feels for sure. I will have to see if the OEM bars will still be acceptable after I try it. Usually it all boils down to the angle of the grips once you get it where you want it. I've rotated bars on other bikes and if the grip angle became uncomfortable after rotating then I just got other bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
A file will do fine. I actually sheared mine off useing an impact screwdriver to get the tight 2 little screws out at the top. You'll find there in there tight. I striped 1. When i hit the driver with the hammer the housing turned.
Thanks for the heads up. I might spray a little Blaster in there and let it sit over night first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode