Learn from my mistake, keep your locks! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Learn from my mistake, keep your locks!

I have been rebuilding my 09 Nomad after an accident I was involved in May and after unboxing my new saddlebags this morning I quickly realize what I should have known before, that the key lock mechanisms are not included ! If I were a smarter man I would have given the locks a second thought before I shipped the old bags to the other driver's insurance company to be salvaged. So now I am faced with the option of either begging their salvage company to remove and ship the locks back to me (...pause for laughter), or be forced to purchase the locks or complete saddlebags back from them if they haven't already been sold.

If they have been sold however I will need to buy replacement "lock assemblies" (part # 27016-0026) from Kawasaki but unfortunately none of the OEM diagrams indicate if the actual key lock mechanism is included or if they are lock-less like the lock assemblies that came in my new saddlebags.

Has anyone else here ever had to replace their Nomad/Voyager saddle bags or replace the locks before?

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash

Last edited by matt7even; 08-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Top Contributor

No....not exactly, but my bike needed some work and potentially to have the ignition switch replaced for a mystery no start condition.

The dealer really steered hard away from doing that until last resort, and ultimately didn't have to, because then you have a new ignition key but different one for fuel cap, side cover, steering and helmet locks (no locking bags on VN2K). Having one key is nice.

Oh, BTW, OEM key blanks are like $20 each from Kawasaki. I had a couple made local from Ilco(?) blanks for $3.99 or something like that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
No....not exactly, but my bike needed some work and potentially to have the ignition switch replaced for a mystery no start condition.

The dealer really steered hard away from doing that until last resort, and ultimately didn't have to, because then you have a new ignition key but different one for fuel cap, side cover, steering and helmet locks (no locking bags on VN2K). Having one key is nice.

Oh, BTW, OEM key blanks are like $20 each from Kawasaki. I had a couple made local from Ilco(?) blanks for $3.99 or something like that.
Yes that seems to be the main hassle with getting locks replaced. Hoping I can get my old locks back because I prefer not to have to carry 6 keys (3 of them being for the bike) with me everywhere I go and have people mistaking me for the janitor =).

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode