Bought my new Nomad - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Bought my new Nomad

Well I had planned to post this in my original thread of _Need Nomad Power Input_ but I found that thread closed. Appears some guys with 900 classics and whatever else got into a debate outside the thread subject so the Mods closed it down.

But anyhow I am now a happy brand new 2011 Nomad 1700cc owner. It had so few miles on it I got confused between the mileage and the gear indicator on the way home.

I love the way the bike rides and looks and everything is so functional. I've already ordered Ray's throttle mod (pre-done ISO grips) and currently I'm just putting some miles on it to break it in and get some of the belt whine gone.

But I love the bike, I could list all the reasons I bought it but most of you already know why (on this forum) and my previous thread outlined key areas of my pre-buy decision process.

All I know right now is I have a very good feeling about the bike and look forward to many miles of comfortable high speed, long hour cruising.

BTW, it's been awhile since I broke anything new in, any key pointers other than don't wind the rpms too high ?

Also I'm looking for a driver back rest pad that mounts to the OEM seat hardware. Would appreciate any input on what you guys have used. I found one that is fully adjustable but the backside mechanism looks like it might be a bit rough on the passenger.

Anyhow what ever input you guys have would be appreciated.

RWB (Dave) or now that would be "Nomad Dave".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Congrats on the new ride. Get grasshopper's backrest for yourself. You can get them for about $90 on ebay. He should have one for your bike. Easy to install and removes in 1 second if you need to. Lot of guys use them, very happy with mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-170...807449&vxp=mtr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing

Last edited by almsy; 08-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Top Contributor

My bike is the Nomad with the setup I run. The OEM shield and lowers put you in a good pocket. Rode in to work today and aside from being hotter than hell it was a nice ride. I broke my bike in by riding it as I normally would and changing the oil several times before going over to synth around 4,500 miles.

Other advice is to do air/fuel/pipes of some kind. The difference is so dramatic even with slight changes that I'd never run the bike stock. Even with some of the quirks I need to work out which are more due to limitations of my FI2000 more than anything, the bike is more of a joy to ride. I wouldn't invest too much in a seat backrest yet until you decide if you're going to keep the seat. For my bike it was one of the first things to go. The Mustang seat is worth every penny.

I log many 80mph relaxed miles on the bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
My bike is the Nomad with the setup I run. The OEM shield and lowers put you in a good pocket. Rode in to work today and aside from being hotter than hell it was a nice ride. I broke my bike in by riding it as I normally would and changing the oil several times before going over to synth around 4,500 miles.

Other advice is to do air/fuel/pipes of some kind. The difference is so dramatic even with slight changes that I'd never run the bike stock. Even with some of the quirks I need to work out which are more due to limitations of my FI2000 more than anything, the bike is more of a joy to ride. I wouldn't invest too much in a seat backrest yet until you decide if you're going to keep the seat. For my bike it was one of the first things to go. The Mustang seat is worth every penny.

I log many 80mph relaxed miles on the bike.
Thanks for the input on my questions, keep them coming guys.

I had a Mustang wide Vintage on my Harley and it was nice, but I actually like the 1700 Nomad OEM seat better. It's more cushy and has a larger passenger seat area.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
Thanks for the input on my questions, keep them coming guys.

I had a Mustang wide Vintage on my Harley and it was nice, but I actually like the 1700 Nomad OEM seat better. It's more cushy and has a larger passenger seat area.
That may be a false sense of cushy though. You'll know when you log those miles if the shape of the pan/seat and the quality of the foam is really any good. The Classic seat is not the same as the Mad's and it was a torture device that I can't give away. I need to light it on fire and post it on Youtube.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
I actually like the 1700 Nomad OEM seat better. It's more cushy and has a larger passenger seat area.
Nomad seat looks very similar, if not identical to the one on my Voyager. Over a 3000 mile trip to Fla and the southeast this spring, my stock seat gave me no problems at all, really surprised me how comfy it was. Supported my 5' 8" frame just right. I have no intention of changing it out anytime soon.

(Just checked, they are the same seats, same part #'s from Kawi)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing

Last edited by almsy; 08-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Garage
Nomad Dave, 11 Nomad here. Which color did you get? Mine is the Black/Metallic Moondust Grey. I think the other color available on the 11's was Dark Metallic Blue/Silver. Both are beautiful color combos. I bought the Grasshopper driver backrest off their website for $99 + $10 shipping abought 2 months ago. The only other mods i've done are K & N air filter (already installed) Cobra scalloped tip slip-on mufflers (not installed yet). Also bought a set of Kuryakyn Iso Grips from Ray with his world famous mod. (not installed yet either) I had back problems crop up right before the mufflers & grips come in & have not been able to install them yet. Unfortunately I see another back surgery in my near future so i don't know when i'll be able to make the installation. All i can do right now is go out to the shop every once & awhile & admire those shiny mufflers & grips sitting on my workbench. Oh well, its too hot here to ride anyway.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Congratulations! I have been loving my 09 for 3 years. Usually do a few 1000 mile weekends with my wife every year. She loves the passenger seat. My seat used to push me forward and crush the marbles but I shaved the back down and now it is not as cushy but I am so much more comfortable. You are going to love cruise control on long trips. I have scala rider head sets for music and talking they are great. The belts are super tight from dealer, some have lessen the tension on them and belt wine goes away. Good luck and enjoy.

2009 Nomad
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Congratulations on the new Nomad! Pretty sure you'll be real happy with it. I traded a 99 Nomad on the Vaquero a couple of weeks ago and I love the Vaq but do miss the Nomad. Even though it was an early Nomad with a much cruder seat and no cruise it was a good riding bike and after some V&H Bagger Duals, a Thunder Teardrop K&N setup and rejetting it ran fabulous.

When I looked at the Vaquero I was out for a scoot with my wife. She sat on the new Nomad and loved that seat. When she hopped on the Vaq I got "the look".... So as it turned out all it took was a Mustang Wide Touring and we both get to smile. Ah... the art of compromise.

As far as break in tips, I took it pretty easy for the first 100mi on the Vaq keeping the revs below 3k and since then it's getting ridden the way it will always be ridden. It's only got 600mi on it and getting it's first oil change Tuesday so I haven't flogged her yet but I pretty much ignored the "recommended" break in in the manual although it was good for a few laughs. You'd have to drive it around the block for the first 1500 miles with the recommended max RPM range otherwise your not getting past 4th gear.

2011 Vaquero in Red
Mustang Wide Touring w/Drivers Backrest
KQR Passenger Backrest w/Mustang Pad
Passenger Floorboards
and on....
and on...
and on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode