Glad I listened to Racnray - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Glad I listened to Racnray

My 2008 Nomad was completely stock from a drivetrain standpoint until this past week. After three years and 18,000 miles of riding I was never satisfied with the way that the engine ran. It was just not smooth nor was it responsive. It often felt like it was lugging and I was constantly feeling what I thought were power pulses attributable to the fact that it is a very large displacement V- twin. Prior to installing Ray's modified throttle tube I spoke with Ray on the phone about how I use the bike and what I wanted to accomplish in terms of making it run better. I have a Hannigan Astro GT sidecar on the bike and therefore I was not looking to make it into a hot rod - I just wanted it to run better and be more responsive. I was considering Vance and Hines slip ons and a PCV fuel controller along with a K&N filter. Ray told me to try his throttle tube plus the K&N filter plus drilling the exhaust before I did anything else. This past week I did all three and the difference in how the bike performs is amazing. I drilled three holes, each 3/16" diameter, in the circumference of the end cap of each muffler. The result is an engine that runs much smoother and is way more responsive to the throttle. The minimal investment in these three changes made the bike far more enjoyable to ride (and saved me a lot of money compared to what I was planning to do). Thanks Ray!

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

I am very glad to hear of the improvements to your skoot. It is nice when we make some small and sometimes seemingly insignifiicant changes to our skoots and they turn out to be so benificial.
The more we enjoy our skoots the better our lives are, neat how that works out!!

Have fun and enjoy your skoot!!

THANX
RACNRAY
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
So . . .Rather than drilling out the whole end cap with a hole saw, three 3/16" holes . . . never heard about that one - but - coming from Ray I may try this - How deep do you have to go? Just through the end cap? or through that and more? How does that make it sound? I take it that may also be beneficial if you are running a full air kit with stock exhaust as well . . right Ray?

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

There is the potential for HUGE gains in power with a BAK, actually thru my dyno testing the intakes on the 1700's are FAR more restrictive than the exhaust.
If you are running a BAK on a 1700 with a stock exhaust you will never experience the full benifits of the BAK as the stock mufflers are very restrictive. Heck, De-baffling or drilling the baffle plates on a completely stock 1700 allows the engine to breath better, thus make more power, run better and cooler.

RACNRAY
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to sansfaute
Lightbulb

Raises hand
I havea question.
Is there any particular position for the holes in the end cap? I have a K&N filter
and soon to be throttle mod other than that its stock with wrapped pipes
Thanks

Live Long and Ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Voyager,
Passenger Floorboard underside Chrome covers
Top bag rails
Lower bag rails
Chrome engine plate
Speed healer
Strebel Air horn
VN1500 side stand
RacnRay's throttle mod
I pod connector
Rear speaker kit
V Star Trunk rack
Bag Liners
Kuryakan off set foot pegs
K&N air filter
HD/Dunlop Wide whites
Kawasaki Zumo Gps mount
Zumo550 Gps
Cobra fuel processor
Cobra billet tip slip ons
Countless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VROC 31578
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 PM

I had the same question about drilling the mufflers, location of the holes, how deep and how much louder after drilling. I have the throttle mod and K&N filter, been debating what to do with the exhaust while trying to keep it quiet.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone3 View Post
I had the same question about drilling the mufflers, location of the holes, how deep and how much louder after drilling. I have the throttle mod and K&N filter, been debating what to do with the exhaust while trying to keep it quiet.
The idea for how to drill the exhaust came from a local mechanic (Todd). He started with a small drill and drilled three pilot holes, equally spaced, around the circumference of the end plate in the muffler. It was hard to start the pilot holes because of the angle of the end plate - you need to drill at a 90 degree angle to get them started, and the drill tends to wander around. He suggested not trying to center punch the metal as he was concerned it would bend. He then enlarged the holes to 3/16 inch in two steps by drilling straight into the muffler. You need to go an inch or so deep. He used a standard length drill bit (not an extended length one). The exhaust note changed very little - I like the way it sounds. The idea here is simply to tune the exhaust a bit. Todd told me that he learned that Kawasaki tunes the exhaust this way on their demonstration ride bikes, but I did not ask him where he got this information from.

Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by RogerE; 07-30-2012 at 06:09 AM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Roger,

I'm a little concerned that you did THREE Mods at once and are, therefore, unable to discern which of the the three had the most affect (if any).

I did the RACNRAY Mod first, and it alone made a significant difference.
I have yet to do any exhaust or intake mods as the RACNRAY mod improved my bike so much already!

Not that I doubt Ray, but I'm not convinced that simply drilling 3 very small holes in the end plates would make much difference unless you did this mod alone so that you would be able to do a proper "before and after" comparison for sound and performance.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Roger,

I'm a little concerned that you did THREE Mods at once and are, therefore, unable to discern which of the the three had the most affect (if any).

I did the RACNRAY Mod first, and it alone made a significant difference.
I have yet to do any exhaust or intake mods as the RACNRAY mod improved my bike so much already!

Not that I doubt Ray, but I'm not convinced that simply drilling 3 very small holes in the end plates would make much difference unless you did this mod alone so that you would be able to do a proper "before and after" comparison for sound and performance.
I did the throttle tube first. This undoubtedly made the most difference. I next drilled the exhaust and rode about 10 or 15 miles. Not much difference other than a little bit more sound. When I got home I found the K&N filter on the front porch (got it mail order). Put it in the next day and went for a longer ride. My judgement is that the throttle mod was the easily the biggest impact, K&N second, drilling the exhaust way back in third. However, I didn't expect the exhaust drilling to do much until more air was coming in thru the new filter. The bottom line is I am very happy with the results. You also have to remember that we are dealing with a system, not a series of disconnected parts and pieces. The system is the sum of its parts. I suspect that drilling the exhaust by itself probably wouldn't do anything noticeable. Check Racnray's dyno tuning thread for more detailed discussion about these three mods. He did them one at a time with dyno testing in between before he started experimenting with different exhausts.

Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by RogerE; 07-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerE View Post
The idea for how to drill the exhaust came from a local mechanic (Todd). He started with a small drill and drilled three pilot holes, equally spaced, around the circumference of the end plate in the muffler. It was hard to start the pilot holes because of the angle of the end plate - you need to drill at a 90 degree angle to get them started, and the drill tends to wander around. He suggested not trying to center punch the metal as he was concerned it would bend. He then enlarged the holes to 3/16 inch in two steps by drilling straight into the muffler. You need to go an inch or so deep. He used a standard length drill bit (not an extended length one). The exhaust note changed very little - I like the way it sounds. The idea here is simply to tune the exhaust a bit. Todd told me that he learned that Kawasaki tunes the exhaust this way on their demonstration ride bikes, but I did not ask him where he got this information from.
Let me display a little ignorance on mufflers here please...
I assume we are talking about the baffle plate which is located 8" or so inside the end of the muffler that gets drilled? Some guys just use a hole saw to get rid of this in each muffler also, correct? It's been a while since I stuck a tape measure in there to check the length of extension I would need if that is in fact what gets drilled or cut out. I have a 2011, don't know if current or past years basically are the same, or if most mufflers are similar in construction??
I've been considering slipons but this may give me what I'm after, basically just a little deeper, louder sound.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode