Going full HID!....? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 381
Going full HID!....?

Still working on rebuilding my Nomad since the accident and yesterday I was faced with the reality of having to replace/rewire all of my front end lighting mods (headlight modulator, secondary led turn signals and marker lights ect.) that didn't seem to do much to prevent the minivan that I was right in front of from not seeing me in the first place =0. Since I am not a wiring expert I'm extremely tempted to just forgo the hours of splicing tiny LED wires and going with a simpler "plug n' play" solution like a HID conversion kit. I figure if it works properly it will get just as much (if not more attention) from on coming cages as my previous set up did, not to mention the increased visibility at night. Has anybody here installed a true Xenon HID conversion kit in their 1700 or have any opinions? Any input is appreciated. I've yet to talk to anyone that has done this mod except for Harley and Victory owners that have the factory HID installed.

THANKS

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash

Last edited by matt7even; 07-28-2012 at 08:50 AM.
matt7even is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
RACNRAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 1,667
I have not done the HID on my Vaquero but i did do te HID conversion on my Hyabusa's low beam years ago. It is a much better light than even the higher than stock wattage H7 bulb i had in there, and the light really makes the skoot MUCH more visible to others.

We have installed some of the newer design HID kits in customer's skoots, these new kits are much nicer and more compact than the kits from 5 years ago, and are true plug-n-play. You only have to find the room for a small box which is about half the size of a deck of cards.

A customer brought in a conversion kit for the H4 bulb in his skoot.which the new bulb had a HID low beam with a halogen high beam, all in one bulb.

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Top Contributor
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,926
If it's the single H4 bulb then you have to get a bi-xenon setup to get the semblance of low beam and high beam. It's still just one bulb running at the same output, but the physical position of the bulb changes when you switch between low and high to change the projection of the beam.

With the bi-xenon, in low beam, it appears from the front that only ~1/2 your headlight is illuminated. This is normal for a functioning bi-xenon setup.

Myself, I'm considering adding some HID auxiliary lights but I'll probably leave the relative simplicity and reliability of the factory headlight intact.

Last edited by whoaru99; 07-28-2012 at 09:38 AM.
whoaru99 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 381
Thanks for the input guys. Still trying to decide which on to get but I'll make to sure post my impressions along with some pics when I get it installed.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
matt7even is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 381
UPDATE: Well I ended up getting a "Motorcycle" HID kit from DDM and found out quickly upon arrival that it the bulb was the right size for my bike but the wiring harness was certainly not designed with a cruiser in mind. After some extensive splicing had to be done I managed to get all the bulkier parts installed under the seat and fired it up. The light is indeed impressive and offers much increased visibility even with only the 35 watt bulb but soon after it would only turn on maybe 1 out of every 5 starts when it was cold. I don't know if it is the fault of a faulty ballast (kit only comes with one) or perhaps all the re-wiring I had to do but eitherway I am back to using a regular bulb until I can figure out what the issue is or find a more reliable HID kit to use that is built for a cruiser application in mind (with no front fairing to mount everything in). It's hard to know what the better brands are though. They all use roughly the same type of components for what I can tell and range from around $40-$150. Has anyone else had any luck with HID or can recommend a good kit to buy?

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
matt7even is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ScottyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 196
I am thinking about going with the Yana Shiki HID light kit. Any opinions?

Scotty J
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
AMA 1050493
VBA 01583
VROC 27581
ScottyJ is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7even View Post
UPDATE: Well I ended up getting a "Motorcycle" HID kit from DDM and found out quickly upon arrival that it the bulb was the right size for my bike but the wiring harness was certainly not designed with a cruiser in mind. After some extensive splicing had to be done I managed to get all the bulkier parts installed under the seat and fired it up. The light is indeed impressive and offers much increased visibility even with only the 35 watt bulb but soon after it would only turn on maybe 1 out of every 5 starts when it was cold. I don't know if it is the fault of a faulty ballast (kit only comes with one) or perhaps all the re-wiring I had to do but eitherway I am back to using a regular bulb until I can figure out what the issue is or find a more reliable HID kit to use that is built for a cruiser application in mind (with no front fairing to mount everything in). It's hard to know what the better brands are though. They all use roughly the same type of components for what I can tell and range from around $40-$150. Has anyone else had any luck with HID or can recommend a good kit to buy?
I would stay away from anything DDM. Some people have great luck but most do not.
I bet the problem is the ballast isn't getting a steady power from the stock wiring, that and the ballast is a DC ballast. Higher quality ones, such as morimoto, are AC and fully digitally controlled. Check out theretrofitsource.com . They offer full conversion kits, with a power relay that wires directly to the battery, bulb, and ballast, in just about any bulb configuration.

They even have a full projector with HID retrofit. I know for sure it won't fit in the 900 headlight bucket, but may in yours. Their kits are a bit more expensive, but what is your safety worth to you? If a cheaper kit fails at night, you're screwed.
syxxphive is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
mrjava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 159
Garage
Ive used this HID kit on my last 2 bikes.
Very happy with the results.
http://www.xtralights.com/xetronicdi...ypesingle.aspx

2011 Black Vaquero 1700

Amsoil Oil & Filter
HID 65W headlight
Stebel Horn
RacnRay Throttle Mod
Avon Grips
Cobra FI2000 PowerPro V2
Shorai Battery LFX21A6-BS12
ClearView 16 1/2 windshield
Thunder Airkit 51010
Thunder Throttle body gasket
Scootworks' PhatRisers 1XVB
Michelin Commander II F7R @3250 miles
Progressive 430 rear shocks
Progressive 10-2210 front springs


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chevron, Mobil, Shell 92 octane
mrjava is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxphive View Post
I would stay away from anything DDM. Some people have great luck but most do not.
I bet the problem is the ballast isn't getting a steady power from the stock wiring, that and the ballast is a DC ballast. Higher quality ones, such as morimoto, are AC and fully digitally controlled. Check out theretrofitsource.com . They offer full conversion kits, with a power relay that wires directly to the battery, bulb, and ballast, in just about any bulb configuration.

They even have a full projector with HID retrofit. I know for sure it won't fit in the 900 headlight bucket, but may in yours. Their kits are a bit more expensive, but what is your safety worth to you? If a cheaper kit fails at night, you're screwed.
Trust me after having a faulty headlight switch in my 1700 leaving me stranded one night I can appreciate the value of having reliable lighting.

I think you're right about consistent power not getting to the bulb. Getting it to light feels like trying to light a fire. Sometimes it takes only one match and sometimes it takes several. There is nothing I can really do to fix it myself at this point so I will be looking to get another kit soon (thankfully the one I got only put me out $40).

Thanks for the info about Digital AC vs. DC, That gives me something to go on at least. Unfortunately I don't think a projector will fit in my bike either without some fabrication involved.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash

Last edited by matt7even; 08-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.
matt7even is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjava View Post
Ive used this HID kit on my last 2 bikes.
Very happy with the results.
http://www.xtralights.com/xetronicdi...ypesingle.aspx
Thanks mrjava. I think those might just be what I am looking for! Do they come with a high/low beam function?

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
matt7even is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going to full synthetic at 600 mi service wolfman46 Vulcan 1700 6 04-15-2014 03:51 PM
Headlight HID BRANDT025 Vulcan 900 2 03-26-2010 09:48 AM
HID head light kit Toddster Vulcan 900 5 06-22-2009 02:02 PM
HID Headlights Pitre Vulcan 1600 0 07-18-2008 07:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome