FI Controllers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Burgundy and Black
FI Controllers

I have a 2010 Voyager with V&H slip ons, Thunder Air Kit with the original cover, Cobra FI 2000 and Ray's throttle mod on a set Kuryakin ISO Grips. I am considering switching to a PCV this winter and was wondering do I need the auto tune option. I was searching the web today looking at the PCV's and found a Dynatek 3000. Does anyone have experience with the Dynatek 3000? How does it compare to the PCV? I know that there has ben threads on the PCV, but I have never found one for the Dynatek 3000. Thanks for all responses. BTW, I think Ray's throttle mod has been the best mod yet. I wish I had done this as my first mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Big Reyn.
I just installed a PCV with Autotune. There are numerous maps that people on here are very generously willing to share. I decided to install the Autotune so the bike will constantly adjust to conditions based on what the O2 sensor is reading. I started my adjustments at 20% and have been reducing that percentage as it fine tunes. If I make changes, like adding a big air kit, the Autotune should be able to adjust my base map. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Frank

2010 Voyager/ Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Imperial Red
1972 Norton Commando - Yellow

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Reyn View Post
I have a 2010 Voyager with V&H slip ons, Thunder Air Kit with the original cover, Cobra FI 2000 and Ray's throttle mod on a set Kuryakin ISO Grips. I am considering switching to a PCV this winter and was wondering do I need the auto tune option. I was searching the web today looking at the PCV's and found a Dynatek 3000. Does anyone have experience with the Dynatek 3000? How does it compare to the PCV? I know that there has ben threads on the PCV, but I have never found one for the Dynatek 3000. Thanks for all responses. BTW, I think Ray's throttle mod has been the best mod yet. I wish I had done this as my first mod.
Well first of all the Dynatech 3000 is for carbureted bikes only, so scratch that of your list right now.
The PCV comes in three ways. First is the PCV fuel only, then you have a choice of PCV with ignition, which means you can change the ignition timing as well as fuel maps. Then the last PCV with autotune, and like Frank said you can make fine adjustments from what the autotune is telling you. The PCV by itself runs under $300 and like Frank said I would send you the map that I'm using and I'm sure he would too. Or you can pay more and get the autotune which doesn't mean it automatically tunes. You have to make the adjustments with a laptop and you have to weld a O2 sensor in your pipe. There are pictures in this forum. So think it over carefully before you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Burgundy and Black
Davidsheek, which version are you using? Do you think the autotune is worth the additional money? I'm asking questions so I can make the most informed decision. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Reyn View Post
Davidsheek, which version are you using? Do you think the autotune is worth the additional money? I'm asking questions so I can make the most informed decision. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
In 2009 I started out with the PCV and liked it just fine. It did everything it was supposed to do. Just recently I decided to sell that one and get the PCV with ignition because of what Racnray said and the fact that I always felt that these bikes could use some help in that department. But keep in mind advancing the ignition can be very dangerous to your engine unless you know what you're doing.
Personally I would not get the autotune because good maps are available here on the forum. But if money is not a problem then I think you cannot go wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by davidsheek; 07-28-2012 at 12:55 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM

David Sheek,
You said the Autotune doesn't mean it automatically tunes. My understanding is that if you have the Autotune installed it adjusts while you ride based off the maps and the percentages you have set. Am I wrong?

Frank

Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat72 View Post
David Sheek,
You said the Autotune doesn't mean it automatically tunes. My understanding is that if you have the Autotune installed it adjusts while you ride based off the maps and the percentages you have set. Am I wrong?

Frank
That's my understanding too. You can put limit(s) to how much you allow Autotune to trim up/down from the base map, but trim within those limits it does, on the fly, afaik. If Autotune doesn't "auto tune" then what's the point?

I have seen a few people splitting the cost of an Autotune setup, then each person uses it for a while to get things tweaked in, then passes it on to one of the others.

Last edited by whoaru99; 07-28-2012 at 10:47 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I'm just going by what I read in the past. I could be wrong but I thought you had to accept the suggested map from the autotune. Now I can find out for sure really easy with a little reading on my part if you like. Maybe someone that has had an autotune for a good while will read this and give us their thoughts.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Top Contributor

I think this is a very interesting topic. Way I read it is that you only have to save in two cases.

1. If you want to write the Autotune values to the base map/different map, or
2. if the Autotune values are greater than 20% change and more is required.

In the case of #2, say for extreme example that Autotune determines a 50% change to some value(s) is necessary. It can only do 20% max at a time. So, you'd have to accept the first 20%, save that, then allow it to do another 20% to that map, save that, then either save the final 10% or just allow it to Autotune around that point. Could be wrong, but that's my interpretation of it.

EDIT: The later part about the max trim isn't quite right. The system will allow only +/- 20% max trim on the fly/by itself, but apparently you can manually accept/write larger values from trim table to a fuel map/table.

Last edited by whoaru99; 07-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM

That's what I was thinking. I took Power Commanders Map for VV with Vance and Hines Slip-Ons and Stock air filter. My initial adjustments were 20% for both lean and rich. I would ride, accept trims and then repeat the process. Once I did that several times I started lowering my trim percentage. Have it now at 10% rich, 5% lean. My understanding is the Autotune will automatically adjust on the fly based on the map you have saved and the trim percentages entered.

Frank

Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
K&N Air Filter