Clutch pull - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Question Clutch pull

Hello.

I am selling my current bike (A VTX 1800C3) do to the clutch. I injured my left wrist and hand 2 years ago. (Transmission fell on it) And I have been told it will never be 100% again.
So after 1-2 hours in the saddle my hand is killing me do to the heavy clutch on my bike. I searched and there is no way to change this on this bike.

My question is I like the Vaquero. Is the clutch softer on that? If not can it be made to be easier to pull?

I know this can be done on bikes with cable clutches easy. But it seems hydraulic ones are a bit more difficult to do.

I did this on my wifes 1300R cable clutch system and I can ride that all day no problem. But I can't take her bike, and its underpowered to me.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
Hello.

I am selling my current bike (A VTX 1800C3) do to the clutch. I injured my left wrist and hand 2 years ago. (Transmission fell on it) And I have been told it will never be 100% again.
So after 1-2 hours in the saddle my hand is killing me do to the heavy clutch on my bike. I searched and there is no way to change this on this bike.

My question is I like the Vaquero. Is the clutch softer on that? If not can it be made to be easier to pull?

I know this can be done on bikes with cable clutches easy. But it seems hydraulic ones are a bit more difficult to do.

I did this on my wifes 1300R cable clutch system and I can ride that all day no problem. But I can't take her bike, and its underpowered to me.

Thanks guys!
I haven't really thought about how easy the clutch pull is on my Voyager as I've never had a problem with my hands, but I can see your concern. One this bike you can adjust both levers so they are closer to the grip therefore less distance to pull and engage. This probably doesn't help any, you may have to find one to test drive.....or pull. Good luck

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
In your situation, for no clutch-pull issues whatsoever and heaps of power on tap, I'd be considering one of the new Gold Wing DCT auto models? ...Hell, I'm considering one anyway, without having those issues.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
In your situation, for no clutch-pull issues whatsoever and heaps of power on tap, I'd be considering one of the new Gold Wing DCT auto models? ...Hell, I'm considering one anyway, without having those issues.

Good option.
But sadly I don't have that kind of money.

6-10k is about all I can swing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
I haven't really thought about how easy the clutch pull is on my Voyager as I've never had a problem with my hands, but I can see your concern. One this bike you can adjust both levers so they are closer to the grip therefore less distance to pull and engage. This probably doesn't help any, you may have to find one to test drive.....or pull. Good luck
What dlars said. Unfortunately, this really doesn't do much for the tension, just makes it a more comfortable position. Some bikes with hydraulic clutches have an angle adjustment in addition to the position adjustment on the Voyager/Vaquero. Changing that angle gives changes the mechanical leverage. Wish they had put that on our bikes.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
What dlars said. Unfortunately, this really doesn't do much for the tension, just makes it a more comfortable position. Some bikes with hydraulic clutches have an angle adjustment in addition to the position adjustment on the Voyager/Vaquero. Changing that angle gives changes the mechanical leverage. Wish they had put that on our bikes.
I agree, it would be great fi we had both adjustments available. It would also be nice if we had more adjustment on the position. I shortened the rod for the master cylinder by about 2mm and it made a difference, the down side however is that the clutch lever now moves a bit when riding, enough so that at times it hits the switch and cancels cruise control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode