Lifter Noise? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Lifter Noise?

Sad to say the Vaquero has been sitting for about 6 weeks, between selling a house, moving all that stuff, work and then a 2 week vacation in New England. My poor bike was neglected
Well today I decided to take her to the pharmacy to pickup some things and she is making an awful noise like a stuck lifter on the rear cyclinder
I rode about 2 miles back and forth and no luck clearing the noise, anyone ever encounter this on a 1700 that has been sitting for a while?
I was thinking about a nice long ride tomorrow and if no joy, a stop at the stealer for some advice.

Philip "Einstein" Darling
2013 BMW K1600GTL
<SOLD>2011 Vulcan Vaquero "La Belleza Negra"
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM

I'd recommend giving it some more time. Before i bought my vaquero, i test rode one at the dealer that had been sitting for several weeks. Made the same noise you described. The dealer let it warm up for about 20 minutes but the noise was still there. My demo ride lasted about 40 minutes and it was only after about 10-15 miles that it quieted down.

I wouldn't worry too much.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM

I was in the service area of my Kawi dealer when they started up a black 2011 Vaquero just out of the crate... It sounded like you are describing, a rather loud tapping, the wrench told me they let them sit and idle 15 to 20 minutes to get nice warm and they clear themselves. That Vaquero quieted down after about 20 minutes of idling and sounded great...

The twisties – not the superslabs –separate the riders from the squids...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:34 PM

engine noise

Thats normal for that engine. The hydraulic lifters will need to pump up before she quites down. Once the engine is up to normal operating temperature, do some hard riding, throttle her up several times. Once the lifters pump back up, it will be quite again. Some of these engines will do that overnight.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Top Contributor

lifters

Mine makes that noise all the time. Didnt start till about 3000 miles. Bought the bike in april and have road the bike everyday since then the bike has sit maybe 12 to 14 hours at a time and the noise wont go away. Took it to one dealer they say its normal. I say why didnt it make that noise the first 3000 miles? Need a second opinion I reckon.

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Lifters

Mine will make noise in the spring after sitting for the winter or if I haven't started it in over a week. Goes away after around 10 miles
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 PM

noisy nomad

picked up a '12 nomad tuesday. when the dealer 'delivered' it to me and showed everything to me, he said listen when i start it up and you'll hear it rattling. said it should go away after 20-25 miles. i drove it 10 miles home, parked it in the garage and had to leave for work for 2 weeks. i'll pay attention to that when i get back to it.

2012 Nomad
Wolo Bad Boy
Kury offset pegs
Kenwood marine stereo
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Don't worry about it Philip, just get it to operating temperature, and ride it like ya stole it...lol. It will quiet down after about 15 minutes. The 1700's will do that if they sit unstarted for an extended period of time.

Jim "AzCruizer" Lohman
Gilbert, AZ
2013 Vision Tour
2011 Vaquero-sold
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
The only time my 2011 ever had lifter noise was after the wind blew it over and after righting it after it was down for less than a minute, one of the front lifters sounded like it was coming right out of the engine. After a few miles it was still loud. And loud is a great understatement.... dogs were howling, women hustling their kids off the street, that kind of loud...

I drove it home very tenderly (abut 3 miles) and it never let up. I let it sit over night and the next morning it was only slightly quieter.

So I got out on the highway and cranked it up as fast as it would go for about 10 miles out and back and by the time I got back into town the noise was gone and have not heard it since. I guess it just took all that to prime the lifter again....

Regardless of what any dealer may say (or anyone else)... noisy tapping lifters are NOT "normal".

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 07-21-2012 at 02:54 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 AM

I had a Victory CC pull up next to me at a stop light last week in Cody that made my transient ticking sound whisper quiet. I could not believe all the ticking sounds coming from that motor! I could also hear what I think was cam chain noise. My 2011 Voyager with 31,000 miles on it does tick from time to time even in the middle of a long hot hard ride but it's still quieter than that Victory and most every Harley that I ride with, I guess I'm just going to ignore it because it runs as good now as it ever did, ticking or not. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode