Fuel Management - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel Management

Hello fellow Vulcan owners. What are your thoughts about installing Fuel Management devices? I had one service guy tell me they don't really improve anything. I ride a 2010 Nomad and I added Cobra slip-ons about a year ago. Occasionally I get some popping but not much. Would adding a Cobra F12000 PowrPro improve my performance and cure the popping noise? Also, someone said since I only added slip-ons I shouldn't require fuel management device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Ivan's reflash of the ECU takes care of all of those problems and makes a Fuel Management Device useless.I have the Cobra Slip Ons with no popping and great performance.
Peg and auwing1978 like this.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Ultimate Seat with Driver Backrest
Ivan's ECU flash 2
Freedom performance Slip on mufflers
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing
Darkside 205/60/16 with Endeavor reversed trike
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey, When I had my Yamaha V star I had a Kuryakyn intake and Cobra slip-ons on the bike and it had the popping. I installed the Cobra F1200 Power Pro and problem solved. Bike ran better and had better performance I thought it was worth it. Having said that now I have my Vulcan Voyager 1700 with the Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake and Cobra slip-ons again some popping this time I had the Ivan's Performance ECU Flash and it is well worth the money I highly recommend it. You will have to check his web site Ivan's Performance Products or better yet call him and check and see if the flash covers the Nomad or not but if it does and you decide to do it there is a form you fill out that ask if you have an after market intake exhaust and a fuel management system installed. Again if the Ivan's Flash is available for the Nomad I highly recommend it you will not be sorry. If he does not have the Flash for a Nomad then yes I would also recommend the Cobra F1200 it worked great on my old V Star 1300 (But Ivan Flash first)
auwing1978 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Ivan's flash clearly is available for the Nomad 1700, as I have it on my 2013 Nomad 1700
Peg likes this.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Ultimate Seat with Driver Backrest
Ivan's ECU flash 2
Freedom performance Slip on mufflers
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing
Darkside 205/60/16 with Endeavor reversed trike
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice! Do you have an idea of the cost?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Both suggestions sound good but I'm liking the Cobra PowerPro a little better because I don't have to send anything away. If they both provide the same solution, I would be more prone to simply purchasing the PowerPro and have my shop install it. I'm not mechanically handy at all when it comes to bikes!!! LOL. Thanks for the feedback.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey mtexum1,
The Ivan ECU flash will cost about $400 when said and done the flash is $350 then you pay to ship it with insurance (I suggest priority mail) after Ivan gets it they will call you for payment for the flash and return shipping and send it back out same day. If you send it on a Monday morning you should have it back Fri or Sat providing there isn't a weather delay this time of year.
The PowerPro is good but I guarantee you will be much happier with the Ivan flash. While the PowerPro will just monitor and change fuel settings Ivan's flash sets the fuel, timing advance, throttle response, removes factory restrictions on performance such as rev limitations and much more.
If I recall when I bought the PowerPro for my Vstar I had it was around $350-$400 also.

As far as ease of installation it will be The ECU is under your seat just disconnect 2 plugs and it slides out to install just repeat in reverse order then the flash will come with instructions if like the Voyager you turn the key on for 5 seconds then turn off disconnect neg. side of battery for 30 seconds reconnect and done.

GO WITH THE FLASH YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!!!
Peg and mtexum1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Stessel put a link in his earlier post to Ivan's site - Ivan's Performance Products

Compare the long list of what it does for your 1700 with the one thing a fuel controller can do (and even then it doesn't do it very well), and then make up your own mind... They're not the same at all.

A piggy-back device like a fuel controller is all the time fighting Kaw's programming of the ECU. Ivan has gone into the ECU itself and fixed fuel and many other issues at source.

Everyone in here is trying to help you not spend as much money as we did. Before the flash there were only fuel controllers, and many threads on getting them set up right. Now all our fuel controllers have either been on-sold very cheaply, or are hanging on nails in the workshop like mine is. We've all spent $400 odd on fuel controllers, then the same again for Ivan's flash later on. Even after we've all spent twice as much as you'll have to - none of us regret a single penny. Ivan's flash is THAT good.

But if you really, really want a fuel controller, and you're intent on continuing down that path of folly you seem to be set on - make me an offer for the EJK hanging on a nail in my workshop!
mtexum1 likes this.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think you and Stessel have convinced me that Ivan's ECU is the way to go. When I'm ready I'm gonna go that route. I'm all for doing things once, correct the first time. Thanks for all the advise and feedback!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
I just had Ivan's flash done to my Voyager. I've only got to ride it 2 times since the flash (and not very far), but I already love the difference.

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash
Sponsored Links