ECU Flash - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

ECU Flash

Picking up a 2010 Voyager from a dealer this week is there a way to tell if it has had the Ivan flash done to the ECU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Yes Ivan puts a stamp and serial on all ECU's that he flashes. If it isn't there, he didn't do it.. and it's not something someone would take off.

Last edited by RetroBagger; 01-29-2018 at 09:52 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Retrobagger,

Thanks for the quick reply.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:26 AM

With the bike at room temperature, start the engine from cold. If it fast idles at 1200 rpm then drops down to 950 after a minute or 2 then the ECU is factory re-flash. All 2009 and 2010 ECUs were recalled and flashed by Kawasaki to correct stalling and un-intentional revving, and the ECU will have a blue dot on it. Check the VIN and make sure it has the recall done, if not, get it done before sending it to Ivan.
If it fast idles at 1500-2000 rpm then it has Ivan's flash, but there are 3 versions for stock bikes and a different flash for bikes with BAK, pull the ECU and record the numbers that are etched on the case. Ivan also puts a large sticker on the ECU, but easily removed if the PO wanted to conceal the reflash.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey,
I just got my ECU back from being updated to the latest update from Ivans and it made a difference I'm not sure what all got updated but I can tell the difference it seems smoother and more responsive. Anyway cost me $400 with shipping for the first time when I bought the bike in May 2017 and I was very happy with the performance increase but it wasn't couple months after I did Ivan came out with the new version and I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend another $50 for shipping both ways to get it upgraded. Well I'm glade I did I am very pleased with the way it performs and responds to the throttle now. The latest version will be engraved with CB4 for the last numbers or if you have the older version like I got at first it will look like the one in the photo above from Retrobagger and then after you get the update which is free but you have to pay the shipping below the engraved number it will have CB4 engraved.
Like I said if you have the older version it is worth the time and shipping to have it updated to the latest version

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:44 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Also if you do send in your ECU for the Ivan's flash don't make the same mistake I made the first time I sent mine. Just send in the ECU which is the part with the 2 plugs like in Retrobagger's photo above and not the hole assembly the front one with the 3 smaller plugs is a relay and not part of the ECU.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stessel View Post
Also if you do send in your ECU for the Ivan's flash don't make the same mistake I made the first time I sent mine. Just send in the ECU which is the part with the 2 plugs like in Retrobagger's photo above and not the hole assembly the front one with the 3 smaller plugs is a relay and not part of the ECU.
I did the same thing, sent both parts. Extra shipping for nothing

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash