New member - New Vaq - Windshield Dilemma - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

New member - New Vaq - Windshield Dilemma

Hey guys. Finally found a new scoot that I liked the looks and handling of to replace my 99 Nomad and just picked up the new red Vaquero last week. I'm definitely a windshield/fairing sorta person having gotten spoiled by the Nomad and found the frame mounted fairing rides to be much smoother IMO than the fork mounted fairings. One of my main reasons for getting the Vaq..

Part of my negotiating the deal was 20% discount on parts/accessories so I backed the truck up while enjoying their A/C on a 98 degree day during the paperwork. I knew I wanted a taller shield after doing a bit of reading on here and riding the bike a bit so I ordered a 14" Kawi clear with the intention of having that for my winter shield and to use as a guide to get my desired height to order a 9-12" tinted for everyday riding.

So when I ordered the shield, I hadn't looked at the online accessories page and the catalog the parts chick ordered from didn't show this:
For Vulcan® 1700 Vaquero™ requirers:
qty 1 14091-0949 Cover, Windshield
qty 1 92161-0656 Damper, Windshield
qty 5 92154-0206 Bolt,Socket, 6x30
qty 5 92200-3775 Washer, 6.5x14.5x1.5

I'm REALLY not diggin that chrome cover setup (not to mention the extra $40 to put the shield on when it comes in) for the red Vaq as I chose the red over the black partly because of the lack of chrome on the front of the fairing/headlight area (but mostly just liked the actual red color). The dilemma is that I've looked at a boatload of pics of different Vaqueros here and I see a bunch with the 9" CB and what looks to be 12-14" rifles and an 11.5" clearview all without the chrome strip. I've also seen a couple with the chrome strip that look like they may be the Kawi 12" kit.

After seeing that it was "required", I got to thinking that it might be to spread the stress on a taller shield (as the short smoked stocker doesn't have it) to keep the holes from cracking but then noticed all the ones without the strip and think I even saw a Voyager pic with what looked to be a 12-14" tinted that didn't look to have the chrome strip. Maybe it's just that the Kawi shields are thinner that it's needed? If anyone that has the taller shields without the "kit" would weigh in that would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM

The Kawasaki windscreens are quite thin and flexy, that's the reasons behind the need for the fugly chrome strip. If you want a taller screen that's the thickness of the OEM short screen that's original on the Vaquero look at Cee Baileys windscreens. My dealer had a Vaquero on the floor with the taller 14" Kawasaki windscreen on it and it took me about 2 seconds to decide I didn't want the Kawasaki screen, it's way too thin for my tastes... I went with Cee Baileys 11" dark grey, no need for trim pieces and it looks great!

The twisties – not the superslabs –separate the riders from the squids...

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM

I have the same shield as DarkStar (11" Cee Bailey) without additional mounting hardware and without a problem. I also bought a Rifle 16" that I eventually chopped down to 13". I leave that shield on most of the time as the 13" height is better for my passenger. Both shields are thicker than Kawasaki’s and will do the job without the added chrome bracket.

2008 Red/Black Nomad (sold 2012)
2011 Red Vaquero

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Another thing to consider is that a clear shield will allow the mounting bolts and mounting area on the fairing to show which is another reason for the chrome strip. A tinted shield like the Cee Bailey or Rifle tinted shield won't.

Vietnam Vet
2011 Fast Black Vaquero
'03 Mean Streak, gone
but not forgotten
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Garage
I had both a Cee Bailey's 9" and a Rifle 12", both quality shields and the Rifle was a less expensive. Neither were quite right for me so I sold the Cee Bailey's and cut the Rifle down to 10.5" and I've been happy since.

2011 Black Vaquero SOLD

Power Commander V
Rifle 10.5" Dark Gray Shield
Kuryakyn Tour Techs w/ dually highway pegs
Iso Grips, RACNRAY modded
Mustang Touring Seat w/Driver Backrest
KQR Backrest w/Mustang sissy bar pad
Auxiliary Lights
Ipod/DC Adapters
Saddlebag Liners
Polk 5.25" Speakers
Passenger Floorboards
Vance/Hines Slip Ons
DEI 2.5 Header Wrap
Engine Ice
Backoff XP Brake Light Module
Chuckster's Risers
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
Michelin Commander II's
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesrfun View Post
Another thing to consider is that a clear shield will allow the mounting bolts and mounting area on the fairing to show which is another reason for the chrome strip. A tinted shield like the Cee Bailey or Rifle tinted shield won't.

All Cee Baileys screens, clear or tinted are black masked on the lower portion for that very reason, to clean up the mounting area... no extra charge...

http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/v...aquero_ws.html

The twisties – not the superslabs –separate the riders from the squids...

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM

There is a 12" Kawasaki windshield kit that comes with everything you list above. I have both the 12" and 16" oem windshields and have no complaints, haven't seen the other brands on anybody's bike in person. I screwed up and got just the shield and just used the screws and underneath the shield the fairing is ugly. Bought the chrome piece, screws and gasket and thinks it helps with the stress on the shield. Put it on yourself, just 5 screws and save $40.00.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

DarkStar - Thanks for the pix. I think yours was one of the pics I looked at when searching around. I thought it was probably about the thickness of the shield but it's deceptive as the 5" stock deflector shows 3/16 on a caliper same as the Cee Baileys and Rifles. Agree that Cee Baileys looks sharp.

rusty - It's not about putting it on that's going to cost. I'll mount it myself. Cheapest price for the parts or the 12" kit with the parts is what is costing the $40. Plus I just don't want the chrome strip. I'm lovin the Vaq for NOT having so much chrome to clean and all the nooks and crannys in the Nomad that used to aggravate me. Only reason I want a clear shield at all (I normally look over my shields as I'll do with a shorter tinted one) is to have a tall one for more wind protection in the winter. These skinny ole bones don't like the cold as much as they used to.. I may even go with a 16 after I get a new seat on and see where I sit in relation to the shield I end up with for warm weather cruising.

bikesrfun - I hadn't thought about the strip on the bottom. The CB's even got that covered with a paint strip. Nice touch.

I'll loosely mount the 14" when the parts come in since I'm getting a new seat at the same time and will be able to see just what height I need at that point. It'll be easier to measure it out with a tall one on the bike and I'll take the 14 back to the dealer.

If 11" will work for me I'll probably go with the Cee Baileys as it looks to be good quality and they offer a free adjustment if you send it back to them. That's good customer service in my book. Or the Rifle looks decent if I need an even size and you can't beat the price if they hold up. We'll see..
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Cool

Hi All, Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought my 2012 Vaquero candy Lime green on Monday 7/30/2012 and picked it up yesterday( put about 100 miles on it). Bought it from Troy City Garage in Troy NY and regardless what anyone says about this dealer , they treated me like family. They were the only ones in my area that would let me test ride the bike before I bought. Phibbs powersports came in $200.00 less than that what TroyCity quoted me but would not let me test ride. When I told the sales jerk that I don't do business that way he hung up on me.

Anyhow. I was desperate for a windshield so I called Cruiser Customizing and they had a 16" in stock and could be shipped to me by Thurs. I am concerned becasue I am told you need the trim kit but when I called Cruiser back and spoke to my sales rep Ernie. He researched it and said that it wasn't necessary and the Kawai windshield would install with the existing hardware.

I do want to purchase a Cee Bailey but I can't wait the 9-14 days so I will install Kawai on it for now and have it cut down to where it will be comfy ( I am a windshield kinda guy). I want something high enough so when I wear my 1/2 helmet I can hear the stereo and not get beaned in the mug with bugs. I have read this thread so far and I guess my question is, will the windshield work as a temporary fix with the stock mounting hardware till I get my Cee Bailey? Any replies would be welcomed
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetpilot View Post
Hi All, Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought my 2012 Vaquero candy Lime green on Monday 7/30/2012 and picked it up yesterday( put about 100 miles on it). Bought it from Troy City Garage in Troy NY and regardless what anyone says about this dealer , they treated me like family. They were the only ones in my area that would let me test ride the bike before I bought. Phibbs powersports came in $200.00 less than that what TroyCity quoted me but would not let me test ride. When I told the sales jerk that I don't do business that way he hung up on me.

Anyhow. I was desperate for a windshield so I called Cruiser Customizing and they had a 16" in stock and could be shipped to me by Thurs. I am concerned becasue I am told you need the trim kit but when I called Cruiser back and spoke to my sales rep Ernie. He researched it and said that it wasn't necessary and the Kawai windshield would install with the existing hardware.

I do want to purchase a Cee Bailey but I can't wait the 9-14 days so I will install Kawai on it for now and have it cut down to where it will be comfy ( I am a windshield kinda guy). I want something high enough so when I wear my 1/2 helmet I can hear the stereo and not get beaned in the mug with bugs. I have read this thread so far and I guess my question is, will the windshield work as a temporary fix with the stock mounting hardware till I get my Cee Bailey? Any replies would be welcomed
Hey Streetpilot. Congrats on the new Vaq!

The Cee Baileys as well as the Rifle shields are .187 thick. The larger stock Kaw shields are thinner so they need the additional hardware. If you take a good look at the bottom of your 5" deflector on the Vaq you'll see it's thicker at the bottom and tapers thinner about 1.5" up. You can really see it if you pull it off the bike. So I'd say if the CC 16" shield is at least as thick as the Cee Baileys or Rifle shield you should be ok with the hardware you have.

When you do finally take the deflector off, watch out for the washers. They're plastic and when they fall off the bolt have a tendency to be silent as they make a bee line for the brake rotor assembly and are VERY good at hide n seek... Don't ask me how I know this.

2011 Vaquero in Red
Mustang Wide Touring w/Drivers Backrest
KQR Passenger Backrest w/Mustang Pad
Passenger Floorboards
and on....
and on...
and on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode