Vulcan Voyger 1700 2016 Indianapolis In USA. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Demoliton Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Vulcan Voyger 1700 2016 Indianapolis In USA.

Purchase new 1700 Vulcan voyager 11/16 - broke it in according to manual. 1 year later, 11/17, heard a ticking noise that became progressively worse. Took a video of it and dropped off at the dealership. They had if for a few weeks but said they were unable to reproduce the noise which I found strange. If I let it stand for 3 days the noise almost religiously reproduced itself. So I went to collect the bike and fortunately the noise showed up. Dealeship kept the bike. The result - they replaced, under warranty, the rockets and lifters engine oil and coolant. Was a little concerned that the guy stated that the rockets had signs of wear especially since the bike only had 2800 miles on it. After having the bike for 4 days after the repair was competed I heard the very same noise appear in the rear cylinder. So, took video of it and drive to dealer12/17. Played video for dealer who admits that the noise was way loud for it just to be a cold bike. Called the dealer a month later, they claim they cannot reproduce the noise - ok like the first time - in the conversation I explained given the history would it not be prudent to check and given that there is videos evidence. - No - they must reproduce the noise. Well I was a little annoyed so I called Kawasaki USA who basically regurgitated what the dealership said. I get they cannot perform warranty work without a noise but given the history I am surprise. I am also surprised that they did not check the rear cylinder on the original repair. I have played the videos to other MC professionals whoíve stated that there is definitely something amiss - basically saying that oil is not getting to the top of the engine early enough.
I am not sure what to do. Itís not good enough thatís itís still under warranty, this is a new bike - clearly there are issues? If I take the bike back considering the initial repairs what else could I run into? Itís winter now so there is no way to run it - not in 10 degrees F in the Midwest USA - very very disappointed. Choose Kawasaki because the price was right and the reviews favorable. Really did not expect this, least of all what I consider uncorperative dealership and Kawasaki USA. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/Grey
Unfortunately, warranty only covers what the issue is, so if the noise was from the front cylinder, they arenít touching the rear cylinder and as stated , they have to reproduce the issue to get warranty approval. This isnít a Kawasaki thing, this is just how it works across the board with basically every company. Iíve worked for quite a few companies: Dodge, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, Simplicity, Haulmark trailers and Kubota.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-09-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 PM

I expect 'rockets' is autocorrect for 'rockers' (rocker arms) and likely the HLAs were replaced which are attached to the rockers. The ticking noise was most likely excessive valve clearance due to one of the HLAs failing to pump up, not at all uncommon for this engine particularly at low mileage.
Nobody wants to hear, "they all do it", or, "it's normal",...... but it is. Ride more often and the HLAs won't bleed down, ride long enough to thoroughly warm the engine every time, and use only the recommended oil viscosity, 10w40.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Garage
Could you say which dealer? Looking at buying same bike (2017) from an Indy area dealer myself. Or send me a PM. Thx

2012 Vulcan 900 Custom; Current = 2018 Vaquero 1700

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďJust because you ARE a character doesn't mean that you HAVE character.Ē
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 PM

Garage
i got ticking top end too, on cold start. if i start the bike, then get dressed (helmet, gloves, etc) it's usually into low idle, quiet and ready to go.
it's a bit alarming on a new bike. imagine this thing air cooled!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well here is an update. Dealer, on the west side of Indianapolis, called and said that the 'noise' did occur - though it subsided after 6 minutes. Apparently the Kawasaki representative was there and said that this 'ticking noise' was normal. If so, why did it not make this noise when I first purchased the MC and only produced this noise after 2800 miles. I replayed the videos I have of the front and back cylinder noises and they sound the same to me. Oh well, will have to put additional miles on this and hope for the best - so I was going to purchase and ATV from the dealer but I guess i will go somewhere else for that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Black/Grey
The dealer has to play by Kawasaki's warranty rules. Nothing you said sounds like the dealer is being difficult to you. ANY dealer would have to deal with the issue the same exact way under warranty conditions.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 04:02 PM

As Bon says, don't blame the dealer. They can't fix something that isn't broken.
It's normal, make sure you have the correct oil in it, and go ride.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
I read somewhere that when the Voyagers sit for a while, you get some lifter noise for a while. One comment I read was that he worked at a K dealer and they always started up any Voyager and let it run for a while to get rid of the noise before letting anyone test drive. Mine sat for about 5 or 6 weeks in early winter and sure enough, when it was warm enough outside to take a ride, my 2016 had lifter noise for a while for first time ever. I took it for a ride a couple of days ago after it had sat maybe 3 weeks at the most and no noise. Just the nature of the beast I think.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
Change your engine oil to dino 20W-50 oil - if you dont plan to ride the bike below 32įF/0įC.

Standard is semi-synth 10w-40 if I recall correctly - way to thin for those old engine technic.
The 1700 is based on the 1600 which based on th 1500 and remember, when was the development of this ?

Since I replaced the standard oil with 20W-50 mineral oil (like the harley's, etc.). no more ticking noise after sitting for weeks, way smoother shifting without noises and engines runs cooler.

Cu,
Sven
auwing1978 likes this.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode