Is Kawasaki sabotaging the Voyager intentionally? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/Blue
Garage
Question Is Kawasaki sabotaging the Voyager intentionally?

Hi,

Second post, and I am *really* not trying to get off on the wrong foot here. I really love the Voyager 1700. My current 2013 being the second I've owned. I prefer the engine of the Goldwing, but the Voyager is just SO much more comfortable on long rides....

Oh yeah, my question...

Is Kawasaki intentionally TRYING to undersell, or to somehow sabotage the Voyager? I've wondered this ever since I had my 2009 all those years ago, and the reason for it is kinda simple. The Voyager is a good-if-not-great competitor to the Victory, to the HD, and to most other touring bikes. Great features, great price, solid bike all around... So...
-
  1. Why isn't Kawasaki pushing the Voyager sales HARD like they should be?
  2. Why does it cost around a grand just to get rider and passenger hooked up to the audio? (headsets -- $$$, cables -- $$$, connection kits which for God's sake should be PART OF THE BIKE -- $$$)
  3. Why are ALL Kawasaki addons for the Voyager priced at about 3x what they should be?
  4. Why isn't every manufacturer clamoring to build stuff for the Voyager like they do for every other bike on the market???

PLEASE don't take me wrong. I wouldn't have just spent around $9200 on a 2013 Voyager if I didn't truly respect the bike and its abilities. It just seems to me that Kawasaki is failing to do anything real to help push the Voyager to its rightful spot in the sales lineup...

Regards, and please hold the cannon fire to a minimum...

Wayne

Last edited by segwayne; 01-09-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki VN1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
Last November, I visited the world largest motorcycle fair, the EICMA in Italy. I got the impression that only american companies continue to build classic cruisers: Big engine, at least 1200ccm, long wheel base, low seat. All others have moved to retro style.
So, the remaining "old bikes" are only a cost factor, so they sell spare parts at high prices. Since they will loose cruiser customers anyway, it doesn't matter to mess with them.
However, I got my 1600 Mean Streak in October and like it. But I know It may be the last of its kind.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
I'll be glad to give you my opinion for whatever it's worth.

1. Kawasaki is in the motorcycle business as a hobby, unlike so many other motorcycle manufacturers. They are not actively competing against other makes.The money they make is in parts.You can buy parts for their bikes for lots and lots of years.

2. All the makes that offer built in Audio also have price tags 2 to 3 times the cost of Voyager. I'm one of those that prefer to pick and choose what I want for my bike so it doesn't bother me a bit that it doesn't come loaded down with crap I probably will never use anyway.

3. Additions and parts is where Kawasaki makes their money. If you noticed many parts on Kawasaki are interchangeable. Limited production items always come with higher price tags.

4.Cost vs. Sales. example: you have one thousand dollars to make a new part. Now you can make that new part for Kawasaki which has 5,000 big bike sales for the year or you can use it to make a new part for a Harley which has 200,000 big bike sales per year. Which one are you going to pick ?
Peg and segwayne like this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:32 PM

To me this seems a bit like Kawasaki's overall marketing: They make good bikes available at some of the most reasonable prices in each category, but compared to other brands they have less bells and whistles.

Another example: I've got a 2015 Concours, and while it's a great bike it still has a wired throttle and lacks cruise control, electronic suspension adjustment, heated seats, and many other creature comforts found in BMW, or even some FJR models. But it's got a great engine and is the most economical way to get into the sport touring market. Now, if you buy the topcase from Kawa you'll pay almost $1,000, and other accessories can be pricey too. However, if you want to get a good bike and farkle it yourself later it is a great bike to get.
segwayne likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:17 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
Bought my 2016 Voyager new January 2017. For the winter selling price plus the great trade in on my prior bike (dealer still has it!) it was a great deal for me.

Pro's
1. Lots of bike for the $$ spent.
2. 6 year unlimited warranty including towing (Kawasaki replaced a bum radiator fan motor last year)
3. Plenty of power that got way better after I had Ivan reflash the ECU at the 2000 mile mark.
4. Easy to see analog gauges for my soon to be 65 year old eyes.
5. Very comfortable. I did add Scootworks 1 1/2 risers, the Kawasaki Tour Gel Seat and added an Airhawk for road trips over 100 miles. I also put on a Bakup backrest. I transferred the Kuryakin hwy pegs off prior bike to the Voyager.
6. Lots of storage. I love the Kawasaki trunk and saddlebag liners that I got when I bought the bike (dealer gave me 30% off on any Kawasaki accessories ordered at time of purchase...great deal on these, the Touring seat and the Ipod cables)
7. Great gas mileage after Ivanized and ability to use cruise control at way lower RPM's on highway. If I keep it under 65 MPH, I consistantly get lower to mid 40's per gallon.

Con's
1. Engine did not perform as it is capable of prior to Ivanization. Extra $350 plus shipping to 'fix' the factory ECU.
2. Stock windshield way too tall. I got a 16 inch Slipstreamer and now not looking through the windscreen ($55 on Amazon.
3. Kawasaki not doing any updates since it was introduced 8 or 9 years ago (outside of the KAMS). Sure would be nice to at least see a USB port on the bike. Only changes seem to be the color.
4. Voyager a tad too tall. Wish it was even a 1/2 inch lower. I know this can be addressed but I am able to compensate with my riding boots.
5. Audio system is adequate but wish that the rear speakers were standard equipment or much more affordable as an add on. I have stock exhaust and only ride solo so the stereo is really fine for me and like that I can plug my MP3's in to have my own music.

Bottomline.....I love my Voyager for the price and the riding I do. Comfortable and affordable. I think Kawasaki is concentrating on their sport bike ATV lines primarily and the Voyager is an afterthought with little or no advertizing budget. They might just be using up existing parts etc. and may one day discontinue their touring bike. But I still have 5 years left on the warrenty and I will be turning 70 when it expires. Then I can see if I want to get another touring 2 wheeler...or maybe by then I might consider a Cann Am or a Trike. Or maybe just get a sports car convertible. Time will tell. Right now, I am planning a trip to Sturgis in Sept 2018 to meet up with the Cannonball 2018 folks riding their old bikes from Portland Maine to Portland Oregon. I have hotels booked at Sturgis and the remaining stops before they hit Portland OR on 9/23. Life is good. Ride safe and often all!
Rob9876, Lylemac59 and segwayne like this.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Many good points made here but one reason I believe Kawasaki is motivated to charge more is the lack of direct competition to the Voyager/Vaquero (both in bikes and aftermarket parts). Currently it is the only full sized touring dresser bike close to it's price range. Which is unfortunate because my 09 Nomad is getting a little long in the tooth and I was hoping the 1700 line would get a major update/upgrade by now but it doesn't look like Kawasaki is motivated to do so anytime soon.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7even View Post
Many good points made here but one reason I believe Kawasaki is motivated to charge more is the lack of direct competition to the Voyager/Vaquero (both in bikes and aftermarket parts). Currently it is the only full sized touring dresser bike close to it's price range. Which is unfortunate because my 09 Nomad is getting a little long in the tooth and I was hoping the 1700 line would get a major update/upgrade by now but it doesn't look like Kawasaki is motivated to do so anytime soon.
If you bought a brand new 1700 Voyager tomorrow, by shopping you could find one for around 14,000 . That's about 10,000 less than the next competitor. Even with prices being a bit on the high side in parts and labor, you should be able to add all the goodies all the other ones have and still have thousands left for gas,oil and just plain messing around. No matter how I try to do the math, the Kawasaki Voyager still comes out as the very best deal out there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey,
Yeap I agree with RetroBagger. Bottom line The Voyager for what it comes with is a very good value. I bought my 2016 new in May 2017 and paid only $12,699 for it. I put another $5,000 in it seat, exhaust, intake, GPS, IVAN ecu flash and other stuff point being while after market parts are expensive I got the stuff on my bike I want and it is still far cheaper over all than other comparable touring bikes stock. Also after market parts and accessories for any motorcycle are not cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stessel View Post
Hey,
Yeap I agree with RetroBagger. Bottom line The Voyager for what it comes with is a very good value. I bought my 2016 new in May 2017 and paid only $12,699 for it. I put another $5,000 in it seat, exhaust, intake, GPS, IVAN ecu flash and other stuff point being while after market parts are expensive I got the stuff on my bike I want and it is still far cheaper over all than other comparable touring bikes stock. Also after market parts and accessories for any motorcycle are not cheap.
What kind of seat, intake and exhaust did you go with?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey, robbono26
I got a Corbin Dual Touring seat, Kuryakan Alley Cat intake and some Cobra slash-cut slip-ons for the exhaust.
If you are thinking about going with a new exhaust and intake I highly suggest the Ivan's performance ECU flash it really makes the difference in performance and with out it you may notice some popping through the exhaust when you decel because the bike will run lean with the factory ECU settings.
You can probably get away with adding either the intake or the exhaust without the flash but if you do both the engine airflow will increase enough that it will run lean and cause the backfiring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode