Questions for '09 1700 Nomad owners - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Questions for '09 1700 Nomad owners

Looking at trading an 08 Vulcan 1600 Classic for an 09 Nomad. Reason is for better two-up comfort. I'm not familiar with the 09 Nomad and I understand there were quite a few changes from previous years. So, I would like for owners to give me their opinions about two-up comfort, handling, etc. Also, any problems?

Note: I also have a Gold Wing trike as I have two bad knees. Fortunately, I can still ride two wheels with low seat height which is why I bought the Vulcan 1600 Classic. But, co-rider also enjoys two wheels so thinking about the Nomad rather than modifying the 1600.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 AM

Thumbs up

i have one. i put 8500 miles on mine in two 1/2 weeks on a west coast trip. never had any warranty work done except for the ecu and the heat issue recalls. you should be sure these have been done. currently have 23,000 miles on it, about 1/4 of which was two up. my wife, who can be cranky, really likes the backrest, passenger seat and floorboards. once you've tried cruise control, you'll never want to be without it. there's a thread on here that can help you deal with any c.c.micro-switch problems if they pop up. i'd put air-hawk seat cushions on the front and back if i were you. they make a marvelous difference.

i'm 66 years old, have been riding for 50 years, 200,000 plus miles on 14 motorcycles. i consider my '09 nomad to be among the best bikes i've owned.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, skyguy. You and I are the same age. I'll check out the recalls even though the dealer I will buy it from usually takes care of that; they are very good and I've purchased two bikes from them.

I use the Walmart gel cushions and sheepskins on the Wing and love that combo!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Passenger comfort is above average for a stock cruiser IMO. The seat and extra large back rest are surprisingly supportive for stock and the passenger handles are nice as well. One of my friends even nodded off a couple of times during a highway ride. The same support is in the front as well although you may or may not like the bowl like shape to it. It took some getting used to for me coming from a more laid out seating position on my Vulcan 900 but once I got used to sitting standard it has been very comfortable and I have much less fatigue after a long haul. The only complaint I have about the seat being more "supportive" down there is that it can get a little warm in the summer time due to less wind flow and increased engine heat. If you have bad knees then one thing you may want to factor is that the 1700 Nomad seat is a little wider, taller, and the bike has a higher center of gravity then the 1600. But I am sure you can gauge that yourself if you have sat on one already to compare.

Wind buffeting is very minimal thanks to the shorter chassis bringing the rider closer to the windshield. This is one area where the 1700 really shines IMO.

As far as mechanical problems go I have 22k miles and the only time I have ever had to pull over was when the lights cut out due to a bad switch. Was covered under warranty though and as far as I know this isn't a common issue. The rest are just minor annoyances like belt whine, engine heat, and the gear indicator not responding to shifts right away sometimes. But overall I am very happy with it and for the price it's hard to beat as far as standard touring features go.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash

Last edited by matt7even; 07-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 PM

If you have bad knees then one thing you may want to factor is that the 1700 Nomad seat is a little wider, taller, and the bike has a higher center of gravity then the 1600.

The seat height is something I wasn't fond of on my 2011, so I had my seat modified for a lower riding position. Definitely improved my riding enjoyment.

Cruizin on my Bagger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Vulcan 900 LT (Sold!)
2011 Nomad 1700- Blue & Silver
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 PM

I have a 2009 and the center of gravity is high. Im 5'10" 180lbs and the stock seat is uncomfortable. I shaved back of seat down and much more comfortable. With 2 up riding you feel the passenger can throw off balance alittle bit when going slow, like slowing for a red light and passenger leans one way or another. Not too bad just need to be careful with knees. At speed ride is perfect and smooth, and the passenger will never complain about seat. My wife has fallen asleep several times back there. I am very happy with my Nomad and 13,000 miles and no problems at all. I came from a 1500 mean streak, also a great motorcycle. But 90% two up riding and Nomad is awesome.

2009 Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode