Cobra FI2000 Powerpro - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Burgundy and Black
Cobra FI2000 Powerpro

Who is using the new Cobra FI2000 Powerpro? What do you think about it's performance? Is it worth the nearly $500 dollar price tag? What advantages/disadvantages have been noticed using this improved tuner? I have V&H twin slash cuts, Thunder Air Kit with factory cover and the Cobra FI 2000 on my 2010 Voyager and was wondering if the new tuner would worth buying.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM

Tried it!

I recently did an evaluation of the PowrPro and the Power Commander V for my own bike. The bike is a 2012 Vulcan Nomad. I have the Vance and Hines Double Slashcut Slip Ons. This is the only modification to the bike I have made. I may add a K&N Filter but the bike is running so good now I may forgo that.

I actually tried both devices and here are my experiences.

The Power Commander V was installed and I loaded the map provided by DynoJet M17-006-006. The bike performed great with this map. My MPG is at 48MPG and sixth gear is useable from 55 MPH up. Cruise control works much better because the bike has such improved acceleration it easily runs up and down the hills on the interstate. Prior to the PCV, the bike felt like it was laboring somewhat to get up hills when using cruise. Even at around 60-65 MPH. I had some deceleration popping. Having owned a Vulcan 1500, I knew to plug the reed valve mechanism to eliminate much of it. The remainder was eliminated by richening up the fuel mixture at throttle position 0% and 2% at the higher RPM's. I did contact DynoJet and they said the M17-006-006 map is also a good map to run with the K&N without modification. The 0% and 2% throttle changes I made to the map were actually recommended by DynoJet to a guy running a PCV on a Harley. I got the bike tuned in and I'm very happy with the results. All deceleration popping is gone unless I deliberately force the bike to do it.

I then installed the Cobra PowrPro. The unit performed exactly has advertised and provided great throttle response. My fuel economy remained the same as stock which for me was around 44MPG. However, I had bad deceleration popping. I had the V1 version of the circuit board that does not include the adjustment pot for what I'm assuming is richening up the fuel/air mixture at deceleration. I did not call Cobra and request the circuit board update on principle even though it would have probably fixed most of the problem. I felt Cobra should have designed the unit to have user updateable firmware like Power Commander. This is 2012 after all. I'm guessing additional cost of the unit and Cobra wanting to stick with a "plug and play" appliance is likely why they chose to implement the product the way they did. That said, if a user does not want to mess around with their computer or feels uncomfortable using the computer/PCV combination, the PowrPro is for you. I work in the IT industry and have done software development for the past 30 years. This is not an issue for me.

Some of my additional thoughts. For me, the Power Command is proven technology that is on version 5 of their hardware platform. Having the ability to update the firmware on the device as DynoJet identifies issues is a modern and more advanced design. When I'm traveling 1600 miles from home, I have a bit more confidence in the Power Commander just because of its product maturity and at present have more confidence in the PCV. However, I think both of them are good products and worthy of consideration.

I think Cobra will eventually have an outstanding product that will appeal to the individuals who already have some experience with fuel injection modules. First time injection module buyers who have no exposure to the Power Commander will likely install the product and love it. And I think this is buyer profile they should go after.

All said and done, this is just my opinion.

By the way, if you want my map, you can get it here.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode