new 1700 owner - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

new 1700 owner---update

did a verbal deal this afternoon, trading an 07 honda 750 aero for a new 2011 1700 classic.pick up the new vulcan tomorrow. looking forward to learning from the forum and hoping i might be able to add to the forum someday.

is there anything i should be looking for in the 1700 classic. any oddities or issues i should be aware of. as soon as the parts come in, the dealer will be installing a quick realease windshield, engine guard and saddle bags. this is the first time on a bike this large and im really looking forward to many years of enjoyable riding. thanks guys

2012 Nomad
Wolo Bad Boy
Kury offset pegs
Kenwood marine stereo

Last edited by elmerfudd51; 07-17-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Welcome to the Vulcan 1700 family. The best thing I can suggest is do a search on this forum on the classic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Garage
heat... they do run hot. it's not anything to worry about and nothing really helps deminish the heat except ' go faster'. other than that, you will love the ride.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 AM

I went from a Honda 750 ACE to the VV. You will find the seating highe. If your inseam is 30 or longer you will be ok. I have 29 inch inseam and went with a after market seat to lower me down.

At first the bike will feel heavy but once it starts rolling it ballances well and you woud never know it was 800 plus pounds. Parking lot speeds are not as easy but managable.

Since the engine is a air/water cooled system you will feel more heat then the 750 Areo.

Belt drive verses Shaft means you need to look at the belt now and then not ride and forget thing liek the shaft drive of the Aero.

Power between the two is night and day you will have a smile on your face riding away from the dealer.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:02 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. A few minor modifications make this bike even better IMO.
I have a 2010 Classic and since buying it, my other bikes are sitting in the garage a lot more. It is just fun to ride the 1700.
Modifications to help sort the bike are: RacinRay's throttle mod, K&N Filter, Cobra Fi2000 fuel management. Some folks have gone with Big Air kits, different fuel processors and louder pipes. I did punch the discs in the exhaust but ended up drilling them and left the baffle in. The bike sounds great and rides great.
Most everyone has something to say about the popping on decel. I have not heard other Vulcan 1700's but it is not bad enough on my bike to worry about.
The bike and motor are really nice and most of these mods are something you do on just about any bike these days.
Have fun and wring out the miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudd51 View Post
did a verbal deal this afternoon, trading an 07 honda 750 aero for a new 2011 1700 classic.pick up the new vulcan tomorrow. looking forward to learning from the forum and hoping i might be able to add to the forum someday.

is there anything i should be looking for in the 1700 classic. any oddities or issues i should be aware of. as soon as the parts come in, the dealer will be installing a quick realease windshield, engine guard and saddle bags. this is the first time on a bike this large and im really looking forward to many years of enjoyable riding. thanks guys
Elmer,

If you got the Kawi Accessory Engine Bars (2-Piece), they may start rattling at the top clamps. It is impossible to get them tight enough not to rattle, but a little weather stripping inside the clamp will get rid of the rattle.

If you can move the bars at the top where they attach to the frame a fraction of an inch, they will potentially rattle (it will sound like an engine knock) and you will know that you will need to add the weather stripping or foam padding of some sort.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
they do run hot. it's not anything to worry about and nothing really helps deminish the heat except ' go faster'.
Wrapping the pipes more than works......

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
Wrapping the pipes more than works......
Personally, I don't think the heat's really all that bad on the 1700 Classic and Classic LT since they don't have all that bodywork to hold it all in (and this coming from one who spends the bulk of his time riding around SE Texas).

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post
Personally, I don't think the heat's really all that bad on the 1700 Classic and Classic LT since they don't have all that bodywork to hold it all in (and this coming from one who spends the bulk of his time riding around SE Texas).
I would agree with this. The Classic is a big motor and there is some heat but I have ridden HD's and a Kawasaki Concours that would roast your thighs. The heat on the Classic is not that bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

new owner-- not yet!

well, i spent couple hours saturday morning removing some goodies from my old honda. got to the dealer about noon to sign papers and pickup my new 1700 classic. to make a long story short, when the guy brought it around front to deliver it to me, he crashed head on with another customer on a ninja at about 40 mph. the other customer seemed to be pretty much ok, but the guy on 'my new bike' had crash rash on one side and road rash on the other side (legs, arms,elbows ankles). the ninja was wiped out on one side and the 1700 i was supposed to get was pretty much wasted (lost both floorboards, brake pedal, master cylinder- handlebar back on the tank and leaking coolant and brake fluid etc)

after the cops and medics left, the business manager and i sat down. told him i still wanted to go thru with a deal on another new bike. that was the only 'prior year' model he had. so he's gonna try to find another bike next week and bring it in from another dealer. i'll talk to him again first on next week and see if he can find a suitable nomad at near same price. i really wanted the nomad anyway. left my trade in with him so im without a scoot til we get this worked out!

2012 Nomad
Wolo Bad Boy
Kury offset pegs
Kenwood marine stereo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode