New member with questions. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

New member with questions.

So here is my first set of questions. I'm sure you've seen some version of these before.

What are good replacement tires for this bike, front and rear? I had stock Bridgestones on my last bike and did not like them at all. I expect I'll want to replace these as well.

Can I replace the front tire with a 150 width tire? Do I want to go wider in the front?

What is the max width I can use in the back. Does a wider rear tire affect the handling?

I'm a big guy and so is my woman. How far can I stress the load capacity of this beast? Any body regularly put 500 pounds on this bike? If so, what has been your experience?

2012 Vulcan Voyager ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM

As for tires, I am running the Michelin Commander II tires front and back right now. The front is a 130/90 (stock size), and the rear is a 180/65, wider than stock but it fits under the fender and inside the swingarm just fine. Great tires so far, way better than the Bridgestones. I can't speak to going wider in the front. Wider front tire might affect handling (?). Generally, wider tires like to "stand up" more; takes a little more to put them over in a turn. But the difference between a 170 and a 180 is not that much, probably not enough to feel from the seat.

2009 Vulcan Voyager, Wolo Bad Boy air horn, Kuryakyn ISO grips with contoured throttle boss, Kuryakyn Adjustable Floorboard Cruise Peg mounts with pegs, Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust, K&N air filter, temperature dipstick, saddlebag rails, Superbright trunk light flasher.

Last edited by davemc; 07-13-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via Skype™ to IsAnOzzie
+1 for the commander tyres. I think a wider front will slow your steering down, I am happy to be corrected about this, perhaps wiser folk will post.
correct tyre pressures, rear shock settings and pressure should sort out the weight.
inflate the rear shocks by the book or you could blow them out.
happy trails

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do or do not, there is no try. YODA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode