LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White
Garage
2016 OEM Exhaust Mod

All-

I did a few searches but still not finding the answer I need. I see several You tube posts for modifying the Vulcan Classic exhaust (Using a 1 1/4" hole saw), but my 2016 Vaquero doesn't have the same tail pipes. I measured with a tape, and it it like 9.5" before I hit a stop. Is that the "First Restrictor" I hear folks referring too? So I need to extend the drill bit in that deep for the first cut?

Sorry if this has been re-visited a 100 times, but I want a bit more sound until I can swing the slip-ons.

Thank you in advance-

Raider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Yes, you'll need an extension.

I'd highly recommend removing the mufflers to drill them. Otherwise the pieces you drill out can fall inside the mufflers and they will rattle. Don't ask me how I know.

Removing one baffle per side barely makes a difference. 2 per side is noticeable but not loud at all. Drilling all 6 and the catalyst gives a pretty good sound. It's no where near the loudness of the Vance and Hines slip-ons but for the price it'll do.

I have a set of the V&H slip-ons and while I do enjoy putting them on and raising some hell every now and then, they're to loud for everyday use on a Voyager. Part of the problem may be from the sound bouncing off the top case resulting in to much noise to the rider. Just for reference, I've had loud cars, trucks, ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles all my life without issue. The Voyager V&H combo is the first time I've ever said that's to loud.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero
Color: Pearl White
Garage
D-Dub-

Thank you for the advice. LOL.... I felt the same way with a pair of Two Bros I had on my last ZX14r. I had to use the inserts to quiet them down. It was ridiculous.
I appreciate the insight. I am truly not sure if I will even bother with drilling. I might just get my slip-ons and be done. What V&H pipes do you have? I've always like their pipes.

Take care-

Raider

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
It's the general consensus that Freedom Performance true duals are the loudest, V&H next loudest, and Cobra a little quieter. I like the sound of my Cobra slashcut pipes, but I've only ever heard them or V&H.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 PM

I've got the Twin Slash Round. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded different on a Vaquaro.
I wish they made quiet baffles for them. I thought about trying to make my own. Maybe I'll pull one of the baffles out this winter, see if something can be done with them.

For drilling the mufflers, you can use a 1/4" drive extension and socket to get in far enough to get the baffles. I taped them together with electrical tape and used caution while pulling out so I didn't loose anything. It worked great and figure I'll be able use the 1/4" extension a lot more than a holesaw extension.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
Just for clarification, where did the "socket" come into play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
I've got the Twin Slash Round. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded different on a Vaquaro.
I wish they made quiet baffles for them. I thought about trying to make my own. Maybe I'll pull one of the baffles out this winter, see if something can be done with them.

For drilling the mufflers, you can use a 1/4" drive extension and socket to get in far enough to get the baffles. I taped them together with electrical tape and used caution while pulling out so I didn't loose anything. It worked great and figure I'll be able use the 1/4" extension a lot more than a holesaw extension.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Just for clarification, where did the "socket" come into play?
My hole saw has a 1/4" hex shank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode