Tire plug or patch? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Tire plug or patch?

I got home from my 4200 mi trip this last weekend and I was washing the bike and found a screw in my front tire. It's just off to the left side of the contact patch of the tire. It looks like it has been there for a while. It I know it wasn't there before my trip. I called my dealer today about getting it pluged or patched and they said they don't do that and quoted me for a replacement tire. I have just about 7000 mi on the original tires and I've been reading here people arn't even getting that many miles on their stock tires but the front still looks good and back is getting down there but there is still tread in the center. I was hoping to get at least the rest of the summer out of them. Is this normal not to plug or patch a motorcycle tire? Can or will a car tire shop do it or is it up to me doing it if I want to plug it? Also, plug or patch does it matter? I believe the Vaquero is a tubeless tire. One, I've never had a tubeless tire bike or have had to patch a bike tire. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
It's been my experience in Canada that most "Brand Sanctioned" Motorcycle Dealers will not plug or patch a tubeless motorcycle tire. They will claim liability and road safety issues and then try to sell you a new tire. In your case, you are just about due anyway.

However, many independent motorcycle mechanics will Plug & Patch a tubeless tire if the hole is not too large or too near the sidewall and if the rest of the tire is in generally good shape.

Edit: The other posts reminded me that even the independents will generally only plug & patch rear tires. With the front tire, all bets are off.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 07-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM

Lightbulb

Personally, the front tire being plugged or patched scares me more than the rear tire being fixed. I am riding on a car tire on the rear and I did get it plugged a long time ago at a car shop. They told me a patch would be better but, of course, being a car shop, they could not remove the wheel and do that. So I was told it would be five bucks, cash only, no warranty, no receipt. Many miles later, everything is still fine. But in your case, I would suck it up and buy a new tire. Just my 2.

Scotty J
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
AMA 1050493
VBA 01583
VROC 27581

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM

I recommend replacing the front tire. Thats a critical component to handling a big bike (i have the 2011 vaquero as well) and i would not take the chance. I know folks who will plug a rear tire and ride it with no issues. A front tire though is a different animal altogether.

I carry mushroom tire plugs on my bike, but thats for the emergency temporary fix on the side of the road to get me to a new tire.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
plug/patch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA80 View Post
I got home from my 4200 mi trip this last weekend and I was washing the bike and found a screw in my front tire. It's just off to the left side of the contact patch of the tire. It looks like it has been there for a while. It I know it wasn't there before my trip. I called my dealer today about getting it pluged or patched and they said they don't do that and quoted me for a replacement tire. I have just about 7000 mi on the original tires and I've been reading here people arn't even getting that many miles on their stock tires but the front still looks good and back is getting down there but there is still tread in the center. I was hoping to get at least the rest of the summer out of them. Is this normal not to plug or patch a motorcycle tire? Can or will a car tire shop do it or is it up to me doing it if I want to plug it? Also, plug or patch does it matter? I believe the Vaquero is a tubeless tire. One, I've never had a tubeless tire bike or have had to patch a bike tire. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
BigA, check out this plugger called the Stop N Go Tire Plugger. I just ordered one, after being shown one by a friend. He said he used it once and it was very easy to use.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Garage
I plugged a rear tire myself and rode it that way for about 6000 miles. Ran it down to the cords and never had a problem.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM

I would agree, back tire maybe, front tire no way, its not worth the risk. If your front tire suddenly deflates, you would be hard pressed to control the bike, especially at highway speeds.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Garage
We ride at 75 mph on 2 wheels......hum ..what should i do? It's pretty much a no brainer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The scariest day of my life was when I had a front tire blow out on the hyway and believe me that is something you do not want to chance. If you must save the tire take it off and do a really good job of vulcanizing a top grade patch to the inside and make sure it has been done proper and has 100% bond. And make sure to note the restrictions and rules for patching from the tire manufacturer. The inner linner is special and takes special care to patch to it !

CRUISER
DON RUSSELL
Aspire Machining
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm

Last edited by CRUISERDON; 07-06-2012 at 11:13 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISERDON View Post
The scariest day of my life was when I had a front tire blow out on the hyway and believe me that is something you do not want to chance. If you must save the tire take it off and do a really good job of vulcanizing a top grade patch to the inside and make sure it has been done proper and has 100% bond. And make sure to note the restrictions and rules for patching from the tire manufacturer. The inner linner is special and takes special care to patch to it !
Well said I do carry a plug kit, never had to use it(knock on wood) If I did it would only be to get me somewhere to get a new tire.

If your back tire lasts more than a season,
then your not riding enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode