Vaquero and 1700s MPGs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Vaquero and 1700s MPGs

I have a 2011 Vaquero... Finally up to about 600 miles, and was curious what you other folks are seeing for MPGs. I have PCV, and V&H Pro-Pipe. I also wrapped the exhaust and added some water wetter to the fluid.

I just finished 108 mile ride and wanted to share my MPG results. I am getting 44.9 MPG. We average about 2k rpms and 50mph throughout the ride, and it is all country roads here in southwestern PA. I am pretty happy with the results considering the hills, the turns, and a lot of shifting throughout the day... and no cruise control was used.

SO what are you folks getting, and does this seem correct? again, I am very happy with it, and was just curious to see other folks results... and I am waiting to see what happens with an air kit!!!

2011 Vaquero - Black
V&H Prop-Pipe, PCV custom tuned
Blacked out all chrome
Custom side cover
Custom gauge faces
Upgraded amp and speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

That is pretty similar to what I get, BUT I have never compared the results from the computer to the actual fill-up at the gas pump and divided into the mileage from the odometer. I've read several posts on here from folks who have done this and it would seem the computer telling you what your average mpg is seems to be generous.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatop View Post
That is pretty similar to what I get, BUT I have never compared the results from the computer to the actual fill-up at the gas pump and divided into the mileage from the odometer. I've read several posts on here from folks who have done this and it would seem the computer telling you what your average mpg is seems to be generous.
Seems to be very true. When i was running the stock size rear tire and comparing actual mpg by a calculator to the mpg meter on the skoot, there would often be a 4-6 mpg difference. Using gps and road side speed radars the speedo would be 5-6 mph off, reading faster than actual speed.

Since changing to a larger o.d rear tire the difference using those two methods is closer, the larger o.d. rear tire changing the mpg meter to read a bit more accurate. The larger rear tire was within one mph when new, now with over 12,000 mls on it's now about 2-3 mph off faster.

I found a thread from August 2011 bout a trip to Key West where i achieved the best mpg and mileage on a tank of gas up to that time.....

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18818

With the mods i have made since then and the recent tune i believe the mpg will prolly be a bit better, we shall see.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 07-02-2012 at 05:23 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM

I just got back from my 4220mi trip over the last couple of weeks. I reset my AVE Milage meter before I left. When I got back it read 45.9 for that 4220 trip. I just added up all my gas receipts for the trip and it came out to ~111gal for the trip and that is just over 38 MPG which is what I was mostly comming up with at the pump when filling up each time. Pretty big discression between what the bike says. My buddy with his 96in road glide was getting ~44MPG and he has a 6gal tank I hated being the limiter on when we needed to stop for fuel. The first tank of the trip I ran out going down the freeway. The fuel warning never came on and I had only 184 miles on the tank! I did notice the gauge down there but we were about to our first destination and we're about to get fuel soon. Fortunately we had been running straight and flat for the last 100 miles and we were comming in to town and I coasted off on to a off ramp. I tilted the bike to see if I could get some fuel over to the pickup and it fired up and we zipped over the overpass to a gas station. Whew! that was close after that I was gun shy on the fuel but the warning worked ever since. Since then I always fuel sitting on the bike with it standing upright and I choke it full of fuel within an inch of overflow. I had fueled it on the kickstand the first tank and it didn't get as filled as it should have.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzVaquero View Post
I have a 2011 Vaquero... Finally up to about 600 miles, and was curious what you other folks are seeing for MPGs. I have PCV, and V&H Pro-Pipe. I also wrapped the exhaust and added some water wetter to the fluid.

I just finished 108 mile ride and wanted to share my MPG results. I am getting 44.9 MPG. We average about 2k rpms and 50mph throughout the ride, and it is all country roads here in southwestern PA. I am pretty happy with the results considering the hills, the turns, and a lot of shifting throughout the day... and no cruise control was used.

SO what are you folks getting, and does this seem correct? again, I am very happy with it, and was just curious to see other folks results... and I am waiting to see what happens with an air kit!!!
I get a wide range of mileage; as low as mid 30's around town and jackrabbit starts, to as high as 52 mpg on the Blue Ridge Parkway doing 45-50 mph and babying the throttle.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Garage
Looks like I might be running a little richer. I am getting 38 to 42 mpg on trips. I am using a Cobra Fi2000. I have a K&N with punched stock exhaust. Could be the difference between the VV and the Classic map or a host of other reasons. Plugs looked ok when I checked them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Top Contributor

mpg

Rode 1030 miles a couple weekends ago and averaged 33mpg. That is at 80mph on the interstate. That was with a map in my pcv. I have been on a trip or to running without the pcv and the bike will get 38 to over 40 mpg. I actually think the bike runs better with a zero map in the pcv but it runs nucleur hot when running off the stock ecu!! I need to put an airbox on the bike and have it dynoed. Without the airbox any map in the pcv just kills the gas mileage!

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Same.... depending on how fast I am going. but actually checking when you fill up with a calculator will show some difference. That reading on the dash is not that accurate I have found.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Mpg

I haven't reset the MPG display since day 1. With 3200 on the Vaquero, the MPG sits at 40.1. It started gaining steadily when I hit 2k on the odometer. At 2k it was sitting at 37.4.

Last weekend I did a 450 mile trip, added up the gallons, divided by the miles and came up with 43.2 MPG.

What I realized is that the only actual number I had was the gallons I used. The speedometer is off (like everyone's) so I am using more miles than actual to make my calculations.

My 2008 Yamaha 1100 speedometer was as accurate as my GPS. This Vaquero is going to save me a speeding ticket maybe.

Just loving the bike - heat and all.

Behind bars and looking for crooked roads. That's where you'll find me.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 PM

I no longer trust the MPG calculation. When I do it on a calculator,after fillups I usually get in the high 30s, whereas the bike is telling me low 40s.

2011 Candy Fire Red Vaquero
13" Cee Baileys clear windshield
iPod Adapter
TLC bag liners
Auxiliary Driving Lights
Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns - Hi & Lo
Kuryakyn black ISO grips, modified by racnray
Kuryakyn Dually ISO pegs with offset Magnum quick clamps
Mustang Vintage Seat with Driver Backrest and Passenger Backrest Receiver
Longer kickstand
Back Off XP brake light flasher
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 amplifier