Kawasaki ZX14 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Kawasaki ZX14

Need any more really be said?

Notice the rider never does have the balls to push the car tire in the curves and will only open it up on the straight.

Last edited by BornWild; 06-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 AM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
Cool post and interesting.

It would have been cool to see a two camera split with one on the bike. The lean angle based only on the tire can be deceiving (at least to me).

The chicken strips on my stock V2K tires are the width of the tip of my pinky finger -hard parts scrape regularly. I wonder if I could still ride like that with a car tire on?

2010 V2K Classic LT aka "Mr. Spock"
2007 Suzuki S83 -fast, fun, goodbye, good riddance
2005 Nomad R.I.P. Totaled in '07

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 AM
wds

looks like too much pressure in that tire, very little road coverage on the turns

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornWild View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi1shYlklFM

Need any more really be said?

Notice the rider never does have the balls to push the car tire in the curves and will only open it up on the straight.
Really? This is your argument?

I have no dog in this fight, I don't care what other people do and I will make my own decision when the time comes whether or not I will go Darkside - it's entertaining to watch though. The discussion was not about a sport bike that can actually take off it's chicken strips. We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times. Unless you seriously modify these bikes you aren't going to get anywhere near the limit of adhesion of the tire because once you start scraping hard parts it's a moot point.

Putting a car tire on a sport bike is one thing, putting one on a big fat cruiser is entirely another. Stick with the program.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
"We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times."

I don't have that issue with my V2K. It readily dives into curves with just a little pressure on the inside bar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtC View Post
"We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times."

I don't have that issue with my V2K. It readily dives into curves with just a little pressure on the inside bar.
Hard to read sarcasm in a post I guess.

My VV corners just fine too, for a big fat bagger. In fact when I test rode it before I bought it that was one of the things that impressed me.

But let's face it, even your V2K is no ZX14. How close are you to your chicken strips?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
Really? This is your argument?

I have no dog in this fight, I don't care what other people do and I will make my own decision when the time comes whether or not I will go Darkside - it's entertaining to watch though. The discussion was not about a sport bike that can actually take off it's chicken strips. We are talking about a 900lb behemoth that let's face it, has to be convinced to corner at the best of times. Unless you seriously modify these bikes you aren't going to get anywhere near the limit of adhesion of the tire because once you start scraping hard parts it's a moot point.

Putting a car tire on a sport bike is one thing, putting one on a big fat cruiser is entirely another. Stick with the program.
Really? My old Goldwing which only ran motorcycle tires was very easy to lean into corners and was just as good at flicking back and forth. Do you run out of lean angle on a large touring bike quickly? In most cases yes unless you are on a BMW K1600GT/GTL. Like I said you can put wooden wagon wheels on your motorcycle but it does not mean you should. The same applies to cars on a motorcycle.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
Hard to read sarcasm in a post I guess.

My VV corners just fine too, for a big fat bagger. In fact when I test rode it before I bought it that was one of the things that impressed me.

But let's face it, even your V2K is no ZX14. How close are you to your chicken strips?
Ah, you're right. I missed the sarcasm and thought someone was having a bearing issue or something.

What do you mean "how close are you to your chicken strips"?

CMA#158186
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Similarly, I don't have a dog in this fight. That said, putting a car tire on a sportbike is just insane. There is no way you can keep the same level of adhesion at high lean angles. As has already been said, this video says one thing - don't darkside a sport bike and says nothing about cruisers.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...michelin_tire/

Here is some great info on how Michelin makes tires and they have a new process that allows lap times 1/2 second faster then the process being shown in this article.

Lets see a car tire match that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode