Illinois Darkside - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Illinois Darkside

Anyone in illinois that has gone darkside on there vv? I am not able to find anyone who will mount a dakside tire. They all tell me it is a liability issue. Its my ass on the bike not theres lol

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
No local small bike shops around?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kawi rider View Post
Anyone in illinois that has gone darkside on there vv? I am not able to find anyone who will mount a dakside tire. They all tell me it is a liability issue. Its my ass on the bike not theres lol
Actually it is their ass if you get involved in an accident. You need to understand that while a car tire can be done on a motorcycle, no motorcycle manufacture, tire manufacture or engineer will back the practice and YOU will have to ACCPET any and all responsibility if and when something happens.

Are you willing to risk your income in a lawsuit over a car tire on your motorcycle?

If you are have at it, but do not say who ever mounts it for you will not have any liability because that is patently false!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Oh please, here we go again. That is BS. You won't get into trouble either.
Maybe somebody like Bubba is willing to explain it again. I'm so tired of "Doom & Gloom" if a CT is used!
You're reading too many fortune cookies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by davidsheek; 06-27-2012 at 10:12 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsheek View Post
Oh please, here we go again. That is BS. You won't get into trouble either.
Maybe somebody like Bubba is willing to explain it again. I'm so tired of "Doom & Gloom" if a CT is used!
No it is not here we go again. Not one single major motorcycle manufacturer, tire manufacture or engineer will back up the practice of installing a car tire on a motorcycle, that is a FACT.

Are you really that delusional that you think Kawasaki will testify for you in a court case if you get sued by someone? Because the first words out of Kawasaki's mouth will be you altered the bike by putting an unapproved tire on it and therefore the bike no longer meets Kawasaki's specs.

Anyone who puts on a car tire needs to accept responsibility and if they can't and think that the manufactures are all going to run to their defense are acting just plain irrational.

If something happens the car tire manufacture and the attorney for the other side will have a field day in court with you as the tire manufacture will testify that they do not back the practice of using car tires on motorcycles as the tire was not designed to be used on a motorcycle.

John Mosby from Kumho tires: "Car tires and motorcycle tires are constructed and designed differently due to the different ways in which they are used." Kumho passenger car tires are not made to absorb the reduced contact patch at high camber angles that motorcycle tires frequently experience. Because of this, durability can be affected by operating at such high camber angles, which can lead to tire failure.

There it is from a tire company.

Can you mount a car tire on a motorcycle? Yes, but just because you can does not mean you should.

An owner who disregards the engineers' advice should think carefully about his or her talents in being more clever than the engineers. The owner who installs tires not designed for the task must take full responsibility for the results.

While the practice of fitting a car tire to a motorcycle may work suitably for some-even over many miles-there is no escaping that the rider must accept full liability for a practice that is not endorsed by the industry.

Riders must consider carefully what accountability they may have as they openly encourage other riders to adopt a practice that is ardently discouraged by virtually all experts in the industry, including those who have no financial gains in selling more motorcycle tires.

Now before you go on your rant, please notice that I never once said that it can't be done. You on the other hand seem to have a problem with accepting responsibility for your actions of doing this practice.

Just remember you do not have to be the at fault driver to get sued. Are you fully ready to accept full responsibility for your actions of putting a car tire on your motorcycle?

That is the question you must ask yourself.

If you are not ready to accept full responsibility then you are better off following what the manufactures recommend and not follow what a bunch of people on the internet are telling you about how its OK to use car tires on a motorcycle.

For myself, I will use motorcycle tires as I have no desire to lose my retirement in a lawsuit over a few dollars in savings by using a car tire.

Last edited by BornWild; 06-27-2012 at 07:02 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornWild View Post
No it is not here we go again. Not one single major motorcycle manufacturer, tire manufacture or engineer will back up the practice of installing a car tire on a motorcycle, that is a FACT.

Are you really that delusional that you think Kawasaki will testify for you in a court case if you get sued by someone? Because the first words out of Kawasaki's mouth will be you altered the bike by putting an unapproved tire on it and therefore the bike no longer meets Kawasaki's specs.

Anyone who puts on a car tire needs to accept responsibility and if they can't and think that the manufactures are all going to run to their defense are acting just plain irrational.

If something happens the car tire manufacture and the attorney for the other side will have a field day in court with you as the tire manufacture will testify that they do not back the practice of using car tires on motorcycles as the tire was not designed to be used on a motorcycle.

John Mosby from Kumho tires: "Car tires and motorcycle tires are constructed and designed differently due to the different ways in which they are used." Kumho passenger car tires are not made to absorb the reduced contact patch at high camber angles that motorcycle tires frequently experience. Because of this, durability can be affected by operating at such high camber angles, which can lead to tire failure.

There it is from a tire company.

Can you mount a car tire on a motorcycle? Yes, but just because you can does not mean you should.

An owner who disregards the engineers' advice should think carefully about his or her talents in being more clever than the engineers. The owner who installs tires not designed for the task must take full responsibility for the results.

While the practice of fitting a car tire to a motorcycle may work suitably for some-even over many miles-there is no escaping that the rider must accept full liability for a practice that is not endorsed by the industry.

Riders must consider carefully what accountability they may have as they openly encourage other riders to adopt a practice that is ardently discouraged by virtually all experts in the industry, including those who have no financial gains in selling more motorcycle tires.

Now before you go on your rant, please notice that I never once said that it can't be done. You on the other hand seem to have a problem with accepting responsibility for your actions of doing this practice.

Just remember you do not have to be the at fault driver to get sued. Are you fully ready to accept full responsibility for your actions of putting a car tire on your motorcycle?

That is the question you must ask yourself.

If you are not ready to accept full responsibility then you are better off following what the manufactures recommend and not follow what a bunch of people on the internet are telling you about how its OK to use car tires on a motorcycle.

For myself, I will use motorcycle tires as I have desire to lose my retirement in a lawsuit over a few dollars in savings by using a car tire.
You are beating a dead horse! All I need is someone to mount the tire!

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kawi rider View Post
You are beating a dead horse! All I need is someone to mount the tire!
I have beaten no dead horse. Clearly you have just taken full responsibility and are aware that you and you alone will be liable if anything goes wrong and you get sued. Well, you and whatever party assists you that is.

If you are so adamant in doing this just mount the tire yourself and take full responsibility. It is not hard to dismount and mount tires on motorcycle rims.

You have the information from the experts telling not to do it, you have local shops telling you they will not accept the liability of mounting a tire not designed for a motorcycle and you still want to do it.

Remember one short video of someone riding the dragon on a car tire does not match the thousands upon thousands miles of testing done by the motorcycle manufactures and tire companies.

But like I said I am not telling it can't be done. However you will have to accept full responsibility for doing it if something happens.

Answer this one question, are you ready to accept full responsibility and liability when putting a car tire on your motorcycle?

If you can't fully answer that question as a hard YES then you are not ready to take on this responsibility.

That seems to be the one thing that all who use car tires avoid answering. Also remember that once you go on the internet it is recorded forever so you can't say you were ignorant to the dangers of this practice.

Last edited by BornWild; 06-27-2012 at 07:18 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Apparently you don't know what "beating a dead horse" means.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

BW,, there are somethings you cant change no matter how well informed you believe yorself to be. its best just let it go and move on. nobody here wants to read yor continual diatribe. mc tires work well for you. go be happy. leave others alone to thier own devices. Regardless the fact that so many of us have accumulated tens and some hundred thousands of miles w/o any so called issues that you nonbelieving naysayers want to beat your dead drum as tho somehow yor going to convince those with actual experience to accept yor contrary view conjured up by just mindless rhetoric. The change that will never take place is in you.. best take yor drivel and move along.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
A MAN PONCH!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.
---"Just move on BW cause you don't know what you're talking about"----

Sponsored Links