Light bar wiring issue - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Light bar wiring issue

So I've installed the OEM light bar, swapped out the stock lights for some PIAA yellow items (same power) and hook up the positive feed tap per the instructions to the low beam power wire. Hmmm, sez the electrical engineer, 14ga wire for the light bar hooking up to 18ga for the headlight - this can't be good.

Sure enough, after about 30seconds the 10A fuse for the headlights blows.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I'll wire a relay for the light bar alone later but I just wonder what anybody else has done. A 15A fuse will hold but that much current through 18ga isn't a good idea. Reminds me of my old Ducati.....

Are there any other wiring gremlins to cope with? Anybody put in their own 14ga wire harness to the headlight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
You are correct in thinking the best way to do it is with a relay. Power from the battery, using the headlight circuit to "switch" the relay off and on... you do not really need a on/off switch. I always wire my driving lights to be on when the high beam is on...

If you want them on all the time just wire them to a key switched circuit.

At any rate, the battery takes all the punishment not any of your light circuits. The first time I had my tank off I ran 5 extra 12ga red/black twisted pair wires from the battery area to the faring. I only used one of them for the air horn (thorough a relay of course).

Off the thread... can anyone tell me why on every notice I get about a reply to a thread I get 4 notices for the same reply? Every time....

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in NV View Post
Off the thread... can anyone tell me why on every notice I get about a reply to a thread I get 4 notices for the same reply? Every time....
Report it in THIS THREAD

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ic0cat View Post
So I've installed the OEM light bar, swapped out the stock lights for some PIAA yellow items (same power) and hook up the positive feed tap per the instructions to the low beam power wire. Hmmm, sez the electrical engineer, 14ga wire for the light bar hooking up to 18ga for the headlight - this can't be good.

Sure enough, after about 30seconds the 10A fuse for the headlights blows.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I'll wire a relay for the light bar alone later but I just wonder what anybody else has done. A 15A fuse will hold but that much current through 18ga isn't a good idea. Reminds me of my old Ducati.....

Are there any other wiring gremlins to cope with? Anybody put in their own 14ga wire harness to the headlight?
Smaller gauges like 18ga. are not as bad you might think. The I/R drop of 10 amps of 2 feet 18ga copper in open air is .263 volts which equates to 2.63 watts being assumed by the wire. 2.63 watts across 2 feet of wire is imperceptible to the touch... it becomes a problem when you bundle up a bunch of them up and tape them closed in a harness.

Voltage drop calculator (scroll down) http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

History lane: It was the changing from 6 volts to 12 volts back in the 50's to allow the use smaller wire gauges.

2009 Voyager
2003 Goldwing

Last edited by raw6464; 06-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode