Seat mod question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Maroon/Gold
Seat mod question

I'm 6'3 with an inseam of around 35 in, so as I'm sure you can guess the stock seating position on my nomad has me somewhat cramped. Its not too bad, but I find myself trying to push back a lot. I feel like about 2 more inches would be just enough. I'm not finding any options on moving the controls forward, either handlebars or floorboards.

Has anyone had their stock seat modded to push you back a couple of inches? What about aftermarket seats? I'm not worried if I have to give up some room on the passenger seat, since I never ride 2 up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
They say the Corbin seats will give you a couple more inches away from the handlebars. Also Joe with Chuckster Customs has extended brake and shift levers for sale. The combination should give you a bit more room.

https://chucksterscustoms.com/produc...d-brake-pedal/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
My experience with the Mustang seat on the Voyager is that it moves you back slightly - enough that I needed to use risers to put the bars back where I wanted them. I usually ride with a passenger, and needed that couple of inches back, so have a RDL seat on there now... plus it's a lot more comfortable.

It was the foot position on the Voyager that had me feeling cramped up more than the seating position. Highway pegs fixed that, and I ride mostly heel on the boards, toe on the pegs using those.
Diggles likes this.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 07:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Nomad
Color: Red & Silver
Garage
It was the foot position on the Voyager that had me feeling cramped up more than the seating position. Highway pegs fixed that, and I ride mostly heel on the boards, toe on the pegs using those.[/QUOTE]

Ditto Peg, the heel/toe on the pegs has made my Nomad brilliant on highway cruises. I even shaved 1/2 inch off the side of the brake pedal to make it more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2005 Classic 800 (sold)

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
RACNRAY throttle mod,Avon Air grips
Vance & Hines slip ons
HD highway pegs
Grasshopper backrest
S/Steel pannier kick guards
Custom lowers
LED running lights
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into some of those.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so after throwing around options, I think I've decided how I want to go.

I'm going with the mods that RetroBagger suggested. I've read a few threads that say the corbin seat does put you back about 2 inches. I'm going to call Corbin tomorrow to confirm, but just comparing pics it does look like the Corbin sits further back. Its also quite a bit more firm than the stock seat, which I think may also be contributing to my problem. The extended controls also look like they'd help. With those I think I should be about where I want. I wish there was a way that I could put a little cant to the boards where my toe was just slightly higher than the heel. The mounts are fixed in place so short of cutting and welding that's a no go.

I tried to move my highway pegs to where I could rest my toe on them with my heel still on the floors. It couldn't get it to where it was comfortable without my foot feeling like it was going to fly off the boards at highway speeds. The levers got in the way on both sides, which the extenders should also fix.

Again, thanks for the help everyone.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

I finally got around to buying a new seat so I want to give everyone an update.

I went with a mustang wide touring seat and I LOVE it. Its a bit more firm than the factory seat but in a good way. The old one was so soft that I didn't have enough support. The mustang seat is about the same size, length, width etc. but the seat contour is a lot different. The best way I can describe it is that stock seat was curved in the front and the back, making me have to sit right up on the tank. The mustang is almost flat until you get to the back and its almost a 90 degree slope up into the back. It does make me sit back a few inches, and it puts my legs in a much more comfortable position. I sit a little higher than before, I think because the seat is firmer so I don't sink down into it as much.
Peg likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:41 AM

I find the bars to close as well so i raised them up, kinda like mini ape hangers, still not far enough. Do you have pics of your bike/seat?
Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I don't have any pics with the new seat. I'll try to get some soon and put them up. If it wasn't raining I'd go snap a few right now.

I also raised my handlebars up. I used these risers: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/503-427

Those let you raise the bars up without having them pushed back like traditional risers. You can set them wherever you want, but on my nomad the windshield really limits how far forward you can go.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:22 AM

When i say i raised mine up i mean i loosened the allen bolts and pushed the bars up so they woukd be a little further from me but my embows are still bent. I woukd like further away from so i kind of stretch. Do those riser put bars further away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode