1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Silver / Black
Garage
Does anybody have any good ideas?

I just got back from a bike rally where some asshat clipped my 09 Voyager Fairing and broke a chunk out of it. I am heartbroken and trying to figure out where I can get a reolacement. The 09 Black / titanium cowling on Partzilla is listed for $1,249.00 that is bad enough but the worst part is that has also been declared as obsolete! Does anybody have any good ideas on where I could obtain an undamaged Fairing skin close to some flavor of silver and black (Not necessarily Titanium) other years have slightly different shades of silver that wouldn't look too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Chip.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	200721  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Run it by a couple of good body shops. They fix those kind of breaks in bumpers all the time. See what they say.
SmokeHavel likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Top Contributor

I would think the dufuss had insurance they should cover it. Take it to body shop and get a quote.
You can also look at salvage yards for parts.

Common for me with kids n snowmobiles....

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Voyager
Color: Silver / Black
Garage
It would have been nice if the Asshole had left a note on the bike with a phone number but No such luck! I am trying a Marine epoxy sand down and touch up painting. I see that Partzilla has fairing skins for other years that might be a slightly darker grey than my 09 Titanium for $800 if this epoxy solution doesn't work. Sure makes me feel better about when I knocked over a parked Goldwing at a poker run a couple of years ago. after I got his bike picked up I found the guy and told him told him to send me the $900 bill for the busted mirror that had to be color matched. Doing the right thing is sometimes painful but not as painful as a guilty conscience for NOT doing the right thing. But then again some people (AKA Assholes) don't have a conscience! It also bothers me that a bike can be nearly totaled for getting knocked over in a parking lot (all it would take would be a couple of busted pieces of Tupperware)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
Most motorcycle fairing parts are made out of ABS. Your epoxy adhesive will not bond and adhere to it. So don't waste your time. Yes, it may appear to stick to it but it won't stay stuck because it will not chemically bond with ABS. You need to buy a special applicator gun and a two part cartridge from an auto body shop for fixing bumper covers. They will sell either 3M or the Lord Fusor product line. Both companies make a product for ABS repair. And it is sandable and it will stay stuck to it. I would also recommend you buy some Lord Fusor 163, which will condition the area for better adhesion of their product. If you look on Amazon you can find Lord Fusor products, probably 3M too. Buy the Fusor 153 or 143 adhesive. 153 cures slower to allow more time to work with it. This stuff is sandable when cured.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:43 AM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I high-sided my Voyager a few years ago, with a predictable and significant amount of damage resulting to right side fairing, bag, & lower. I replaced the lower, front & rear crash bars, the handlebars and some little bits of plasti-chrome trim, but had the fairing and right side bag repaired at a plastic welder body shop.

They did an awesome job, and a visit to a paint shop afterwards had them match the color perfectly. Even with a close examination of the inside of the bag, there's nothing to suggest there has ever been any damage at all. The plastic welder told me it was an easy plastic to work with.

We don't have compulsory insurance down here, and I've never insured any of my motorcycles. What I've saved in premiums over about 40+ years of riding I see as a fairly large pool of savings available for repairs. I spent about two years worth of premiums on this repair, so I figure I'm still well in credit.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Vulcan classic
Displacement/CC's: 90 CI 1470 CC
Color: Currently Victory Red
Garage
The product is by 3m its called DP 805
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WXL162...a-312407586855

This is the APPLICATOR
https://is.alicdn.com/img/pb/185/437...437185_615.jpg

AVIATION RULE #1 STAY AWAY FROM THE SHINY SPINNING THINGS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have used the 3M DP 805 and have a couple applicators. I have repaired saddle bags and broken/cracked fairings on several of my scoots. I need to do a touch up on my Voyager from where the wind blew it over to repair some deep scratches. It works. I will say the first time you use it, it sucks. I would recommend practicing on some scrap pieces of small ABS sheets. Then when you are comfortable repair the fairing. It does not take as much epoxy as it looks like it might. Just take your time. It does sand well after you let it dry a couple of days.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
Well hell, I think I'm moving to New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
We don't have compulsory insurance down here, and I've never insured any of my motorcycles. What I've saved in premiums over about 40+ years of riding I see as a fairly large pool of savings available for repairs. I spent about two years worth of premiums on this repair, so I figure I'm still well in credit.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I won't get in the have/have not insurance if it is not necessary forum discussions. But I carry full coverage on everything. My oldest daughter got ran over 6 years ago on one of my motorcycles. She and the person riding with her medical bills were over $850,000 dollars. All I paid was $250 dollars. It was a hit and run so the douche bag that ran probably had no insurance.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode