Vaquero/Tire Life - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Vaquero/Tire Life

So... having read some well documented reviews of the 1700 Voyager's weight distribution and it's effect on rear tire tread life (negative), I'm wondering what the rear tire tread life on the Vaquero is like? Any of you Vaquero owners ridden far enough to tell? (SNARK goes here...)

I'm seriously considering an upgrade soon, but I don't want to jump into a tire eating monster!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
tire life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
So... having read some well documented reviews of the 1700 Voyager's weight distribution and it's effect on rear tire tread life (negative), I'm wondering what the rear tire tread life on the Vaquero is like? Any of you Vaquero owners ridden far enough to tell? (SNARK goes here...)

I'm seriously considering an upgrade soon, but I don't want to jump into a tire eating monster!
I've read other on this forum say they only got 3k, 4k, or 5k miles on the stock rear tire, but I am getting ready to replace mine at 7300 miles. I'm installing a Michelin Commander II, which claims to get double the miles of their best competitor. I'll know more, hopefully in about a year.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Contributor

Any heavy bike is going to be a tire eating monster. I pushed my 1700 Classic to get 5,800 out of the stock Stone before it was squared off real good and slightly past the wear bars. (Same tire as Vaquero.) I would imagine the ass is slightly heavier on the Vaq due to the hard bags and such. From what I understand getting 8,000 out of a Dunlop Elite 3 or Metz 880 should make one jump for joy.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM

i got 7500 out of the stock stones. put on a new set of michelins and loving them.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Contributor

go ahead and do it.... just put a car tire on the rear... :-)

Quote:

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Got 8000 miles out of the stock stones on my Vaquero.

Jim "AzCruizer" Lohman
Gilbert, AZ
2013 Vision Tour
2011 Vaquero-sold
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to sgtburg Send a message via Yahoo to sgtburg
Tire life

Quote:

I have replaced the rear tire with the same tire as before. I only got around 8000 plus miles on the rear. I'm still running the front tire at 10500 miles to date. In my prior motorcycle I ran the Metzler 880 and really liked them but they don't make the rear tire size so I would have to increase the size for the Metzler. At this particular time though it was the prize of the tire and not the miles that caused me to use the same factory tire. I'm happy with the factory tire though as I think it has good gripping/cornering capabilities.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 AM

I ran through the stock tires at 5k (Front and rear) I switched to a set of Metzler ME880's. The rear tire is at the wear bars @ 7k, front tire still looks decent. I did find the Me880's to be a little hard and not as smooth in the corners. I am considering a new tire brand but haven't decided which ones yet.

(NOTE): The rear tire on the Vaquero is a 170 70 16. This is an unusual and limited choices tire to find. You can get a lot more choices of tires by replacing your rear tire with a 180 70 16. The Vaquero has no problem fitting this size tire.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to sgtburg Send a message via Yahoo to sgtburg
Thanks for the advise Nines.... Jerry
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
Any heavy bike is going to be a tire eating monster. I pushed my 1700 Classic to get 5,800 out of the stock Stone before it was squared off real good and slightly past the wear bars. (Same tire as Vaquero.) I would imagine the ass is slightly heavier on the Vaq due to the hard bags and such. From what I understand getting 8,000 out of a Dunlop Elite 3 or Metz 880 should make one jump for joy.
I'd disagree with the "any heavy bike" comment just a bit, as the folks over on the Victory forums claim an average of 10k - 15k miles on the stock Dunlop Elite 3's (Cross Country, for comparison to the Vaquero). They also comment quite a bit on the even wear of front/rear tires, so that's telling me the weight distribution might have a big part in it. A double darkside might resolve the fears though?

Anyone worn out a set of E3's or Metz880's yet?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Sponsored Links